• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC service selection question

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
Maybe my choice of wording was unclear. In a nutshell, what I meant by higher end was more along the ideas of the higher ended tier levels. It's not a tier 1 (engineering), but not a tier 3 like political science and history. Being a tier 2, it will still challenge me mathematically and with the physics because I'll have to be able to understand the basics of avionics to keep myself from dying while in the air 3 times a week, but not bog me down into something I don't enjoy with large amounts of math like the engineering degrees would.
That's more along the lines of what I meant.

It's Tier 3. Check it out here. And, before you go saying it has "a bunch of math", realize that several other degrees have large amounts of math, like Economics, but are Tier 3 majors. As it's not a hard math or science, it's Tier 3. *EDIT*: Read earlier posts, saw you or your unit has it as a Tier 2. If that's a definite thing, then that's awesome Big Navy got duped into thinking that. My major was the same way.
Tier 1 - engineering programs of Navy interest, Tier 2 - other engineering, math and science programs, Tier 3 - Foreign language and remaining academic programs

Good on you for picking something you enjoy, though. That's what counts. If you want to hate your life, go to law school.

cameron172

pilot
Read earlier posts, saw you or your unit has it as a Tier 2. If that's a definite thing, then that's awesome Big Navy got duped into thinking that. My major was the same way.

It is. JU found out about this time last year and there was a mass exodus from physics and computer science majors to Aviation Management majors without the need for reapplying for the scholarship because they're both now Tier 2. Big Navy was duped since the aviation program is a business degree, but it's definitely a specific circumstance to JU.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
You mean the same certificates you'll get with an Underwater Basketweaving degree if you bust your ass and wing as an Aviator in a multi-engine aircraft?

And without tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt. . .(which I learned the hard way)

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
Yes, they've done away with it as a factor for at least 3 years (since I've been in the program). Your major is still included in official paperwork but it has no bearing.

Caveat to this is selection for submarines. You need to meet a minimum GPA for an interview, and those are different (lower) for if you are engineering/ science vs (higher) for every other major.

From an aviation standpoint, there is no difference if you are an Aero dude or a Poly Sci dude. If you are an Aero guy you will probably do better on the ASTB though...

This is wrong. Plain wrong. Although it is not weighted heavily your tier of major does go into your service selection package. Sorry to reign on your parade but, I am going through it right now.

mid1510

This is wrong. Plain wrong. Although it is not weighted heavily your tier of major does go into your service selection package. Sorry to reign on your parade but, I am going through it right now.

You're sorry to "reign" on my parade? I think you meant rain, stud. Of course they know your major, re-read my post. What I'm telling you is from experience. If you want aviation, it does NOT matter what your major is.

Actually, having a high GPA in a technical major can get you a direct ticket to Charleston. Just ask 2 midshipmen from my battalion.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
The thread Sweetnuts references on page one is still accurate wrt tier weighting. However, high GPA still matters more as the tier weighting is relatively small. Run some GPA/tier scenarios for comparison and you'll see how it works out. ASTB also carries significant weight (though slightly less than on the 2005 thread).

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
You're sorry to "reign" on my parade? I think you meant rain, stud. Of course they know your major, re-read my post. What I'm telling you is from experience. If you want aviation, it does NOT matter what your major is.

Actually, having a high GPA in a technical major can get you a direct ticket to Charleston. Just ask 2 midshipmen from my battalion.

^^ Good spell check, and I agree, if you want aviation it does not matter what your major is. However, your major does factor into your service selection score within your unit and impacts your ranking by your CO, which is then viewed by the board in addition to your ASTB (blah blah blah) we know the rest and hopefully you are selected 1390.

mid1510

^^ Good spell check, and I agree, if you want aviation it does not matter what your major is. However, your major does factor into your service selection score within your unit and impacts your ranking by your CO, which is then viewed by the board in addition to your ASTB (blah blah blah) we know the rest and hopefully you are selected 1390.

If you are agreeing with me that "if you want aviation it does not matter what your major is" what is the debate?

And it does not impact your ranking with the CO at all.

That's why the advice here is to pick a major that you will do well in.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
If you are agreeing with me that "if you want aviation it does not matter what your major is" what is the debate?

And it does not impact your ranking with the CO at all.

That's why the advice here is to pick a major that you will do well in.

It does go into the CO's selection process. Points are awarded via tier selection (I,II&III) to help level off GPA differences between majors such as Political Science vs Aerospace Engineering. Although minor points in comparison with your GPA it does factor into the CO ranking structure. That is the debate.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Mav - believe there is some terminology confusion. Take a look at the formula. Tier weighting does affect overall OOM placement. It should not affect CO/PNS ranking. If a CO/PNS does take tier selection into account then you would, essentially, be getting credit (or docked) twice on your major selection. That said, CO/PNS ranking is subjective and based on the trust we place in our Commanding Officers.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
Mav - believe there is some terminology confusion. Take a look at the formula. Tier weighting does affect overall OOM placement. It should not affect CO/PNS ranking. If a CO/PNS does take tier selection into account then you would, essentially, be getting credit (or docked) twice on your major selection. That said, CO/PNS ranking is subjective and based on the trust we place in our Commanding Officers.

I see, yes my terminology must be off. The point I am trying to make is your major, although very slight, does have an impact on your service selection package. For example if a Political Science major with a 3.2 GPA and a Aerospace engineer major with a 3.0 GPA were even in every other field, the engineering major would be found more competitive due to the tier weighting system. Again sorry if my wording is off.

mid1510

I see, yes my terminology must be off. The point I am trying to make is your major, although very slight, does have an impact on your service selection package. For example if a Political Science major with a 3.2 GPA and a Aerospace engineer major with a 3.0 GPA were even in every other field, the engineering major would be found more competitive due to the tier weighting system. Again sorry if my wording is off.

The way the board works is way over all of our heads, so stop trying to guess how it works. The only thing you're doing is putting out bad gouge. I'll give you a situation from last year:

3.0 Aero major with 7 7 7 ASTB is a non-select for 1390 (finds out that he is a nuke draft, even though it was last on his list and had C's in physics)
2.6 Hist major with 6 6 6 ASTB is a select for 1390

Big Navy is going to put you where they want you, not where you think you should be.

It's not your wording that's off, its your thought process that's off.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
The way the board works is way over all of our heads, so stop trying to guess how it works. The only thing you're doing is putting out bad gouge. I'll give you a situation from last year:

3.0 Aero major with 7 7 7 ASTB is a non-select for 1390 (finds out that he is a nuke draft, even though it was last on his list and had C's in physics)
2.6 Hist major with 6 6 6 ASTB is a select for 1390

Big Navy is going to put you where they want you, not where you think you should be.

It's not your wording that's off, its your thought process that's off.

I understand the needs of the navy, as well as nuke gets 1st selection, that is out of the our hands. However like stated above major does have an affect on the OOM placement. There are plenty before me on this forum who also disagree with your gouge, but you seem to be dead set on your views and I'm sure you will make a great NFO . I'm going to end this bickering now.

ProsNest1

Not quite a new member
None
Mid - OOM does matter as folks that sort near the top will get their first choice. This goes back to your earlier point that picking a major in which you will do well is a wise move. You are also correct in stating that the Navy will put folks where they NEED them. After all, it is a service ASSIGNMENT board rather than service SELECTION.

Echo24

I'm Pilot.
pilot
Mid - OOM does matter as folks that sort near the top will get their first choice. This goes back to your earlier point that picking a major in which you will do well is a wise move. You are also correct in stating that the Navy will put folks where they NEED them. After all, it is a service ASSIGNMENT board rather than service SELECTION.

We were just briefed on the service ASSIGNMENT rather than service SELECTION mindset for midshipmen going through the process this spring. Appears that someone selected for the Nuke community felt that purposely failing his interview would give him a better shot at being re-designated into his desired community. The 3 star did not agree. =]