• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Problem

Hawk12

None
Overall, college program scholarships are back. I'd go ahead and contact the unit that is close to the University of Sciences and ask their opinion, if there is a chance you can do college program and possibly transfer, there is no reason not to try.
Here is the current production strategy by NSTC, overall, scholarship numbers are actually only slightly below when I first entered in 2008. However, the number of applicants is up and the competitiveness. (This includes both 4yr and side load, there haven't been many side loads in a few years but they are back!)
http://www1.netc.navy.mil/nstc/nstc... Production Management Strategy 2012-2013.pdf

exNavyOffRec

Overall, college program scholarships are back. I'd go ahead and contact the unit that is close to the University of Sciences and ask their opinion, if there is a chance you can do college program and possibly transfer, there is no reason not to try.
Here is the current production strategy by NSTC, overall, scholarship numbers are actually only slightly below when I first entered in 2008. However, the number of applicants is up and the competitiveness. (This includes both 4yr and side load, there haven't been many side loads in a few years but they are back!)
http://www1.netc.navy.mil/nstc/nstc_Directives/NSTC_Notices/NSTCNOTE 1533 - NROTC Navy Option Production Management Strategy 2012-2013.pdf

Those numbers are still low though, they average to 2-4 per state, and that was signed before the new accessions plan was in effect which has some reductions, given the low numbers in the instruction I doubt it wouldn't be that deep.

Hawk12

None
From what I've heard over the past 4 years is that it seems the production strategy is to produce roughly 1000 MIDN (combined Marine/Navy option) from NROTC and 1000 from USNA, the numbers there seem to still reflect that along with the reintroduction of side-load scholarships given by the PNS (which is pretty cool, I feel the retention of college programers getting scholarships is higher than fresh out of high school) at each unit. It never hurts to apply or try, chances of getting a sideload go up the longer you participate in a battalion and show the command your willingness, aptitude and competence. Might as well give it a go, if it doesn't work out, have some alternate plans like OCS.

exNavyOffRec

From what I've heard over the past 4 years is that it seems the production strategy is to produce roughly 1000 MIDN (combined Marine/Navy option) from NROTC and 1000 from USNA, the numbers there seem to still reflect that along with the reintroduction of side-load scholarships given by the PNS (which is pretty cool, I feel the retention of college programers getting scholarships is higher than fresh out of high school) at each unit. It never hurts to apply or try, chances of getting a sideload go up the longer you participate in a battalion and show the command your willingness, aptitude and competence. Might as well give it a go, if it doesn't work out, have some alternate plans like OCS.

the numbers have dropped significantly over the past several years, none are over 800 now, all 3 accession sources are about equal, I don't have the data in front of me by last I looked it in order of numbers commissioned in the USN it is Academy, OCS, NROTC.

The local NROTC unit only had I believe one Midn not on scholarship, the rest dropped after they were told there was little chance of getting a scholarship.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
well.... you need to do well in college, is starting right at a 4 year college the right choice? have you taken any college classes yet? I have dealt with many guys that started at a 2 year college and then went to a 4 year college, many of them are not Ensigns.

If it makes the OP feel better, I'm one of those guys. Happily flying single seat Hornets now, 11 years later. Suck it up, go to college somewhere, major in something you enjoy and take it seriously. Keep the goal in sight, and things will work themselves out. College can be your second chance, so don't punt it away. After that it's pretty much game over.

exNavyOffRec

If it makes the OP feel better, I'm one of those guys. Happily flying single seat Hornets now, 11 years later. Suck it up, go to college somewhere, major in something you enjoy and take it seriously. Keep the goal in sight, and things will work themselves out. College can be your second chance, so don't punt it away. After that it's pretty much game over.

I have had several people picked up for OCS that didn't graduate HS then turned around and went to college, or did bad in HS and turned around and excelled in college, the nice thing about OCS programs is they don't see or care how you did in HS.

BackOrdered

Contributor
To add, even the ACT and SAT aren't asked for nor do they improve or hurt your chances for OCS. It is all about college performance.