• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Problem

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
I have applied for a NROTC scholarship, however chances are I will not receive one. The end result of whatever I do is to become a Naval Officer. My one option is too attend the University of Sciences for free, they however only have a ROTC program and not NROTC. They are really close, basically in the same location as other schools which do have the NROTC program, though I don't think it is possible to become a part of that program, however maybe if I try insistently? Will joining ROTC in anyway help me get a NROTC scholarship? I also plan on reapplying to the Naval Academy, will there be any affect on that also?

I did get into the Schools in the area that have the NROTC programs, but it is so expensive that gambling on getting the scholarship, either this year or next year is a big risk, and I'm trying to avoid getting in any debt. Would it be safe to say that going to these schools would be pointless until I actually get the scholarship?

Thanks

MGoBrew11

pilot
Do you have an aversion to OCS? Then you can go to whatever school you want and start applying in your junior year. Sophomore year if BDCP will be around by then. Probably not likely, but possible.

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
Its not that I have an aversion to OCS, I would just like to have the NROTC or Naval Academy experience.

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
Sadly my High School grades are not what they should be. I basically screwed up my Freshmen and Sophomore years. I have all the other quals, its just my immaturity in those two years that is holding me back.

exNavyOffRec

well.... you need to do well in college, is starting right at a 4 year college the right choice? have you taken any college classes yet? I have dealt with many guys that started at a 2 year college and then went to a 4 year college, many of them are not Ensigns.

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
It's not that I can't do the work presented, I know for a fact that I can succeed at any college. The problem was in my early high school career I happened to be pretty immature and would just not do the work. Sadly that screwed me over for any sort of hope of getting into the Academy or the scholarship. I'm just not sure what the next best step is, whether joining ROTC is an option that will help or just doing regular college, etc

I do well in AP's and did extremely well on SAT's, its just those early on grade

exNavyOffRec

I have seen several cases where people did quite well in HS and not in college, one was the HS validictorian and graduated college with less than a 3.0 GPA, there is an adjustment to college and remember it is ok to ask for help.

Like other officer accession programs the numbers keep dropping each year, so I would say your best bet is to do well in college and apply to OCS.

What do you want to do in the Navy, what degree do you want to get in college?

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
I'm leaning towards Surface Warfare, but the Marines are still a possibility. University of the Sciences, where I will probably end up, has very limited major choices. I picked Humanities and Science because I can mold it so that I'm taking courses that most first year midshipmen would be taking. Had I the option, I would be between Electrical Engineering or Political Science/History

exNavyOffRec

Engineering will give you more options, if you have a good GPA, we are seeing more program authorizations changed to put more of an emphasis on tech degrees or just outright require them.

A non tech degree now pretty much limits you to SWO, NFO, Pilot and Supply.

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
Besides maybe Intelligence, Surface warfare and possibly Marines have been my choices since like 6th grade. But the goal is to get the grades and other quals so that I can transfer to a school that has the option for me to take Engineering and actually do NROTC, USciences only has ROTC. If I did ROTC would that help me in any sort of way?

By the way, thanks for the responses!

exNavyOffRec

Besides maybe Intelligence, Surface warfare and possibly Marines have been my choices since like 6th grade. But the goal is to get the grades and other quals so that I can transfer to a school that has the option for me to take Engineering and actually do NROTC, USciences only has ROTC. If I did ROTC would that help me in any sort of way?

By the way, thanks for the responses!

Intel is going to mainly engineering degrees due to how the field is changing and it is a small field.

ROTC is a good deal as they pay for college, but you give up certain things, such as you put several choices as to what you want to be, vice OCS where you apply to a specific field.

Navy14

MIDN 4/C
Since I would only be doing ROTC as a college program not through scholarship, it would be temporary. I mean would participating in ARMY ROTC in anyway help me either get a NAVY ROTC scholarship or appointment to USNA. Is it just a waste of time or does it show that I'm committed to becoming an Officer and count as a great extra activity that can help show leadership and other desirable traits. (The college I will probably end up at only has ARMY ROTC)

Sapper!

Excuse the BS...
Since I would only be doing ROTC as a college program not through scholarship, it would be temporary. I mean would participating in ARMY ROTC in anyway help me either get a NAVY ROTC scholarship or appointment to USNA. Is it just a waste of time or does it show that I'm committed to becoming an Officer and count as a great extra activity that can help show leadership and other desirable traits. (The college I will probably end up at only has ARMY ROTC)

Focus on school if you aren't sold on a military program just yet. Basically, no matter where you go to school, knock out those algebras, english composition classes, and a history class. If you decide on engineering, then take some calculus classes at the 2 year school as well. Trust me it won't matter where you go to get those done and for that matter any engineering degree you attempt will be respected as well as challenging. You can't do the officer gig without school and if that doesn't work out anyway, you still need to have a good job which getting that degree will help out with.

exNavyOffRec

If you have to apply via OCS they won't care, it is all about GPA, test scores, degree and LOR's

If trying to get a scholarship that I can't answer.