• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC options if I do not receive the scholarship

sarapatty08

I am currently a candidate for the NROTC scholarship I have qualifying ACT/ SAT scores, 4.2 (weighted) GPA, AP classes, President of Debate team, JV tennis, triathlete, community service, Aquatic Manger, RPOC of recruit station, with a strong essay and interview. The whole process has been extremely nerve racking especially because I am in Navy DEP and have re-delayed my entry twice to hear about the scholarship. Through this waiting process I have been working with spec ops divers and realize that being an officer is more of a priority. After being accepted into my NROTC schools I've been considering getting out of my DEP contract and just going to college and doing ROTC if I do not receive the scholarship. Has anyone else done this? Will getting out of my contract affect me in ROTC?

sickboy

pilot
I am currently a candidate for the NROTC scholarship I have qualifying ACT/ SAT scores, 4.2 (weighted) GPA, AP classes, President of Debate team, JV tennis, triathlete, community service, Aquatic Manger, RPOC of recruit station, with a strong essay and interview. The whole process has been extremely nerve racking especially because I am in Navy DEP and have re-delayed my entry twice to hear about the scholarship. Through this waiting process I have been working with spec ops divers and realize that being an officer is more of a priority. After being accepted into my NROTC schools I've been considering getting out of my DEP contract and just going to college and doing ROTC if I do not receive the scholarship. Has anyone else done this? Will getting out of my contract affect me in ROTC?

They let you delay entry to wait for the NROTC boards? Lucky son of gun.

I got a scholarship while I was in Great Mistakes, but because of this I wasn't able to turn in the paperwork to accept it. If you do continue to enlist it's still very possible to get a NROTC scholarship. But I don't think dropping out of DEP will affect your chances.

sarapatty08

I would have gone to boot camp and waited however they changed the rules for NROTC scholars and they have to delay entry till a decision is made or I am no longer a candidate.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Do a search on here. If being an officer is a priority, realize that it is alot harder getting a commission if you are enlisted. The enlisted recruiters are going to try to hld your feet to the fire to keep you as a number on their books but if being an officer is what you want.....run! Going into the Navy will provide you with a college degree. If you can get the degree before getting in, then you can become an officer. If you get the degree while in or afterwards, you will have to go the enlisted route. Pay is obviously better from the officers' standpoint. If you are college-minded, and it sounds like you are, you really should go to college whether or not you get the scholarship on the frontend. You can always get a scholarship while in NROTC and if you do nto get a scholarship, you can go College Program. This will be a little more expensive, but trust me, it will be worth it. Do you want to fly, be on a ship, sub, EOD,.....SEAL?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

I was in your shoes. Outta highschool, I wanted to leave and just go do something...anything...that involved the navy. I talked to a recruiter and was dep'd as a Nuke. Needless to say, my moms shit a brick when I told her I didn't wanna go to school. She "persuaded" me to go to Tech for a semester, give it an honest try and if I didn't do well or didn't like it, go do my navy thing no harm no foul.

I liked it. I got into ROTC, picked up a 2 year scholarship, and got some wings under my name 4 years later. It is possible, all you have to do is tell your recruiter you'd like to be let out of the contract if you'd rather go the officer route, or at least this was all I had to do. They don't own you til you're on the bus to boot. Takes some testicular fortitude to talk to the recruiter and tell him you've changed your mind, but if you want to be an officer, you gotta sack up.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
They don't own you til your on the bus to boot. Takes some testicular fortitude to talk to the recruiter and tell him you've changed your mind, but if you want to be an officer, you gotta sack up.
They are going to try to guilt trip, persuade, shame, ridicule you.....but if you want to be an officer 'Bubba is right. Sack up and tell them you have changed your mind, appreciate the oppurtunity, but will be pursuing a commission. Stand by for some more ridicule, propaganda, and even lies. Tell them that your mind is made up, you need to sign what you need to sign because you are late for.....dinner with your folks, a date, etc. Put a time that you need to be out of there down. And PS, as much as they act like they are your friend or buddy, they are not, it is business.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
Currently I want to go as an Officer in Special Operations as Navy Diver or Intelligence.

That's a great goal to have- but make sure you do your homework so you know what you're getting into.

Yes, be vary aware. The first one is VERY competitive to pick up out of NROTC, the other two are generally not offered directly out of NROTC. You can try to transfer into the communities later, though.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Agreed....I personally knew 0 guys to select SEALS out NROTC in 5 years of doing the program. I know it IS possible and happens for an extremely select few, but everyone I knew that applied either ended up an SNA or in EOD.

Pistol719

Will Over Skill
pilot
Contributor
Do a search on here. If being an officer is a priority, realize that it is alot harder getting a commission if you are enlisted. The enlisted recruiters are going to try to hld your feet to the fire to keep you as a number on their books but if being an officer is what you want.....run! Going into the Navy will provide you with a college degree. If you can get the degree before getting in, then you can become an officer. If you get the degree while in or afterwards, you will have to go the enlisted route. Pay is obviously better from the officers' standpoint. If you are college-minded, and it sounds like you are, you really should go to college whether or not you get the scholarship on the frontend. You can always get a scholarship while in NROTC and if you do nto get a scholarship, you can go College Program. This will be a little more expensive, but trust me, it will be worth it. Do you want to fly, be on a ship, sub, EOD,.....SEAL?

VERY VERY VERY Real talk here my friend... Allow me to intervene with my story...

I enlisted into the Navy under DEP my senior year of HS (2000). The reason I was even there was because I sent away for some information for the ROTC scholarship.. I guess they give your name to the enlisted recruiter as well..

Now before I go any further I want to make this crystal clear.. My recruiter did not lie, or deceive me in any way... In fact I just had a beer with the guy a few months ago..

Anyhow when I got to the office I thought I was going to be learning about how to get college paid for...and be an Officer.. instead the Chief recruiter (whom later on down the road I was shipmates with) Kinda misguided me and my friend and made us think it is much easier to enlist and get picked up through a enlisted officer program rather then start in college.. So my dumb 17 yr old ass signed on the dotted line and 2 weeks after HS off to Boot Camp I go!!!!!

Now understand this... NEVER EVER EVER EVER do I regret enlisting in the navy.. as an enlisted man I made it to e-5 by my 4th (of 6) year and experienced many things and places people have no idea of.. Not to mention I joined a fraternity like none other where I've made life long brothers. But I will tell you this.... and this is just MY experience... I cannot vouch for anyone else.. But when I tried to get picked up for STA-21 it was like jumping through bells , hoops, whistles and everything else and their mother.. And just so you know I was a pretty shit hot sailor if I do say so myself.. I had great evals and was one of the top e-4's on my ship at the time.. But I did not get picked up.. Whereas if I would of just been average joe on the street with my SAT scores and being in college I could of potentially got picked up for NROTC without a problem (just speculating).

Fast Forward to present time... I got out of the navy when my enlistment was over.. while I was in I was knocking out college left and right when I had time (I was sea duty for 6 years) And got accepted into USF as a Xfer student without a problem.. Currently I am crossing my fingers I got picked up for the 2yr NROTC scholarship.. If Not I will be going for BDCP.. This is something I've wanted to do since I was 17.. I am 26 now.. I am just conveying this to you because I would hate to see you miss an opportunity like this.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
NEVER EVER EVER EVER do I regret enlisting in the navy.. as an enlisted man I made it to e-5 by my 4th (of 6) year

.. But when I tried to get picked up for STA-21 it was like jumping through bells , hoops, whistles and everything else and their mother.. And just so you know I was a pretty shit hot sailor if I do say so myself.. I had great evals and was one of the top e-4's on my ship at the time.. But I did not get picked up.. Whereas if I would of just been average joe on the street with my SAT scores and being in college I could of potentially got picked up for NROTC without a problem (just speculating.
+1 for your candor. For those not in the know, making E-5 that quickly is indicative of a sailor who has their shit together and is a top performer. Let em also add this. I have known more than one sailor with a degree who was not picked up for a commissioning program. I know one who cam into the Navy with an Accounting Degree at age 22 and could not get picked up even though they were a good sailor. Listen to the advise of the guys who have been there and done that.

Help!

Question,
I enlisted in the Navy last July, and I was stupid and didn't have much information, but my father passed and I jumped the gun and went for it. I had high hopes for NROTC, but unfortunately I don't think it will go through. I aim to be a pilot, so I definitely need the college credits to become an officer. I talked to my recruiter about possible options I could have and he suggested STA-21. He said it wasn't that difficult to get if you work hard and prove to be a good candidate. After reading this thread, I learned that you can drop out of the DEP program? The problem is, I did not know this, so I haven't applied for any scholarships for college, because I figured I couldn't get out of the program. I have been accepted to 6 NROTC schools, though. I guess I'm looking for some people to suggest what I should do in this case. Enlist? Or go to college and try to be an officer after I graduate? Thanks

torpedo0126

Currently I want to go as an Officer in Special Operations as Navy Diver or Intelligence.

I can almost guarantee you that you will not be an Intel officer via the NROTC program. NROTC commissions Unrestricted Line officers and Intel is in the Restricted line.

I don't believe there is any commissioning route via NROTC that will designate you as a Navy Diver...I could be wrong though. Perhaps you are interested in EOD?

Like the previous posts said, you can get EOD slots via NROTC, but it is harder. There is an in-depth screening process. Two kids from my school (different years while I was there) were picked up for EOD. Both of them did not make it through the training.

I believe from your name and profile that you are a woman. The success rate for women in the EOD community is very low. PLEASE DON'T TAKE THAT AS DISCOURAGING. I'm just laying out the facts. I don't have the actual statistics, but a quick google search revealed that to me (the internet does lie though). Your actual duties in the EOD community might be limited because you are a woman.

Best of luck

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...Your actual duties in the EOD community might be limited because you are a woman.

Incorrect. Spec Ops is not gender-restricted any more. There may be occasional billets which are gender-specific (mostly because of berthing availability). But the women in Spec Ops do not have different duties.

sarapatty, I recommend you do some more research on the different communities and what exactly is required for each of them. Intel officers may do a tour with an EOD unit, for example, but it's still a seperate community and you won't make a career of operating with them. Spec Ops comprises several different communities - dive-salvage, mine warfare, EOD. It's extremely competitive to get into, the training is very arduous, and many of their officers are commissioned from their ranks as LDOs.

Not trying to be discouraging, just saying that information is your friend. Signing papers to do something because it "sounds cool" has brought more than one person to grief.