• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC MIDN begin commission as inactive reservists for 6 months?

navygator87

I am currently a MIDN in ROTC and was selected for aviation. I am now hearing rumors that many ROTC aviation candidates will be forced to serve as inactive reservists until October due to the backups in Pensacola. Has anyone heard about this or have any more information for me? Does the current ROTC contract even allow for MIDN to be commissioned as reservists? Thanks!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Completely plausible. They've done this PLENTY with ROTC Marine options who commission and then wait for their report date (5-6 months later) at TBS to get on active duty and getting paid. Just ask your class advisor or student control or whatever it is you have at your unit.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
The Marine and the AF already do that. It actually makes sense. Paying Ensigns for up to a year for doing nothing doesn't really make sense. It sucks that you have to get a temp job when you graduate, but in the end the bean counters always win.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Oh well it just means you get to party it up another year at school, knowing that in the end you still have a job lined up for you. Not a bad deal still.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you asked your Chain of Command? They might have some insight to your question.

-ea6bflyr ;)

navygator87

My chain of command is being very tight lipped about this which is what concerns me. Not knowing if I have a job less than 2 months out is a little unsettling.

Is the Marine Rotc scholarship contract the exact same contract as Navy?

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
A few years ago a lot of us had to wait a year from graduation to start flight school. A bunch of guys at my school took a few months inactive (around 6 mo) and then showed up down at P'cola to get stashed.
Some other friends stayed on at thier ROTC unit as a stash Ensign and worked on a Masters Degree.

If you ROTC CO is being quiet, it may be because he/she doesn't have ground truth from NETC yet. I'd recommend trying to stay flexible and hope that you can get stashed awaiting flight school.
If you can't then you may have to find employment for a few months until you start active dtuy.

Good luck.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A few years ago a lot of us had to wait a year from graduation to start flight school. A bunch of guys at my school took a few months inactive (around 6 mo) and then showed up down at P'cola to get stashed.
Some other friends stayed on at thier ROTC unit as a stash Ensign and worked on a Masters Degree.

If you ROTC CO is being quiet, it may be because he/she doesn't have ground truth from NETC yet. I'd recommend trying to stay flexible and hope that you can get stashed awaiting flight school.
If you can't then you may have to find employment for a few months until you start active dtuy.

Good luck.

I remember this happening back around '93 where they just asked guys to be a bum for a while and then reactivated them. I'm curious, though, did they still end up w/ a "good" year as far as points, or did they just start w/ a later date and end up being junior to the guys that stayed active the whole time? Seems like, legally, they wouldn't be on the same pay/points level.

torpedo0126

This information is being filtered through many NROTC schools. Most likely will not happen for this year's graduating class since their paths have been "set."

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I remember this happening back around '93 where they just asked guys to be a bum for a while and then reactivated them. I'm curious, though, did they still end up w/ a "good" year as far as points, or did they just start w/ a later date and end up being junior to the guys that stayed active the whole time? Seems like, legally, they wouldn't be on the same pay/points level.

For us the retirement clock didn't start ticking until we came on active duty.
My date of rank remained June 15th when I graduated, but my retirement elligibility date isn't until 11 JAN.

Since we all came on active duty, there was no mention of points that resevists use for computing retirment pay. I have no idea how six month of inactive awaiting recall to active duty would add up to reservists.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For us the retirement clock didn't start ticking until we came on active duty.
My date of rank remained June 15th when I graduated, but my retirement elligibility date isn't until 11 JAN.

Since we all came on active duty, there was no mention of points that resevists use for computing retirment pay. I have no idea how six month of inactive awaiting recall to active duty would add up to reservists.

That makes sense and answered what I was getting at. Sounds like the points (when you can retire) were "taken care of" by changing your retirement date.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Sounds like a good deal dude....I had 7 days from the moment I commissioned to my report date in Pcola, API start a week and a half later. I was all about getting started at the time, but in hindsight, hanging in my old college town and being stashed at my unit (or even an inactive reservist) would have been money.

dirtydog

I actually asked my OI about this since I commission in a few months and he said it was highly plausible but he had heard nothing regarding it. I'm chalking it up to rumor mill.