• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Marine Option Questions

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
$500 for dress coat, one set of trousers
$400 for service coat, two sets of trousers
$200 for khaki shirts--2 short sleeve, 2 long sleeve
$75 for covers--1 frame, 2 crowns, 1 garrison
$600 for sword and all associated items (required)
$50 per pair of shoes (2 required per uniform regs)

I wish I was a Marine so I could throw out a clever Mastercard joke, but alas...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'd be curious to know how much a typical Ensign has to spend on uniforms.

It's a hell of a lot less than that, unless you go for the Abbott's O-4-in-training starter set.

pjxc415

pilot
altogether, i would estimate i've dropped 2900 on uniforms ... now, that does include a jewelry box that i rarely use, a Mameluke sword which is currently in its case under my bed, and a sam browne belt, which according to people on this site is rare and ever elusive ... i think the only i didn't get was the all-weather jacket and the green combination cover. i went with the marine shop for commissioning uniforms and the tbs uniform shop for all others. so there you go, it is quite expensive.

Crowbar

None
i think the only i didn't get was the all-weather jacket and the green combination cover.

Serious question here. Does TBS still not teach that the AWC, in all of its stylish glory, is in fact a required uniform item? And do they not check to make sure everybody has one and it fits? Also, dude, "combination cover" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Barracks cover" please.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Serious question here. Does TBS still not teach that the AWC, in all of its stylish glory, is in fact a required uniform item? And do they not check to make sure everybody has one and it fits? Also, dude, "combination cover" is not the preferred nomenclature. "Barracks cover" please.

When I'm a major I'm gonna wear my AWC with cammies. I can't wait. It's gonna be so cool. :icon_smil The good part is that I already have it and it was free. Also got the green trousers down.

Does anybody know how common it is for people to change their enlisted service A blouse into an officer A blouse?

I figured out the Marine Shop was a huge scam when they started spouting about the jewelry box. It reminds me of the megapicture package that comes with *gasp* an EGA money clip when we were recruits.

Oh yeah, and good catch on not calling it a combo cover. Never heard that till I came out here with the squids.

pjxc415

pilot
crowbar, i apologize for use of improper nomenclature. bad habits from the midshipman days. Alpha company 07 did not get checked for the glorious awc. but lets be honest here, how many times in your entire career do you think you'll actually wear that thing? i can see it getting extensive use at either a pentagon tour or a moi tour in a place like boston or michigan, and thats about it.

chupacabra

pilot
Contributor
...Does anybody know how common it is for people to change their enlisted service A blouse into an officer A blouse?

I figured out the Marine Shop was a huge scam when they started spouting about the jewelry box. It reminds me of the megapicture package that comes with *gasp* an EGA money clip when we were recruits.

All the priors I know opted to get a new service Alpha blouse after commissioning instead of having one of the vendors rip off their old sleeves and sew on new ones. Not sure how much of a cost benefit it is to have the enlisted blouse converted.

And yeah, the jewelry box, IMHO is a big waste. I just bought a $6 plastic tool box from Wal-mart, and it neatly organizes and stores all of my uniform accessories and care items. Hell, I might even throw an EGA sticker on it just so everyone knows I'm moto.

Crowbar

None
lets be honest here, how many times in your entire career do you think you'll actually wear that thing (AWC)?

How many times do you think you'll use your sword? But people have no problem throwing down $600+ for it to sit in a closet. Guess it's the glamor factor.

Just be glad you don't have to keep up uniforms like enlisted Marines. They have a specified number of white and green t-shirts, green/black socks, dress socks, and DRAWERS, MAN'S: cotton, white, pair that have to be maintained, to include proper markings.

I didn't bother trying to convert my old Alphas, and no other priors I know did. As mentioned above, I don't remember much in the way of savings so I just held on to the old one for sentimental reasons. That and I have grown several coat sizes since boot camp. I do recommend buying at least one new set of green pantalones to match your new coat if you don't convert the old ones.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
How many times do you think you'll use your sword? But people have no problem throwing down $600+ for it to sit in a closet. Guess it's the glamor factor.

Just be glad you don't have to keep up uniforms like enlisted Marines. They have a specified number of white and green t-shirts, green/black socks, dress socks, and DRAWERS, MAN'S: cotton, white, pair that have to be maintained, to include proper markings.

I didn't bother trying to convert my old Alphas, and no other priors I know did. As mentioned above, I don't remember much in the way of savings so I just held on to the old one for sentimental reasons. That and I have grown several coat sizes since boot camp. I do recommend buying at least one new set of green pantalones to match your new coat if you don't convert the old ones.

Thanks for the gouge. And yeah, I still have an entire plastic foot locker from the PX in my garage that still has 14 pairs of socks, 12 shirts ironed into about the size of a CD case, and a bunch of white nut-huggers with my name stamped across the barn door among other things. Never wore any of it, but it sure as hell came in handy for JOBs. I still don't understand the requirement to only display 1 set of PT shorts...disgusting.

[/threadjack]

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Those prices are rough estimates based on exchange prices and what I vaguely remember spending, I didn't buy from the Marine Shop. I'd be curious to know how much a typical Ensign has to spend on uniforms.

Most of my classmates ended up spending in the $1200-1300 range through Abbots

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator

My all-weather coat still has 2ndLt bars on it. I just thank my lucky stars I didn't fall for the "tanker jacket" pitch. I did fall for the "big enchilada" package from the Marine Shop, otherwise. Bad move. A tackle box is a lot more handy than the jewelry box, BTW. Hell, an ammo can with plastic baggies inside is more practical than the jewelry box.

I have it fact used my sword and Sam Browne more than my AWC since TBS, by a factor of infinity, in that twice is infinitely more often than zero.

....End threadjack....

The OSO will be more interested in pitching PLC than NROTC. It may be worth talking to the NROTC department at the school you're interested in, as well.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
I just finished 4 years of ROTC. I know Lts who went through ROTC and PLC/OCC.

The best advice I can give:

If you need money for school, go NROTC. Otherwise, go PLC or OCC. NROTC is a huge time commitment, especially for Marine options. It really depends on the college experience you are looking for.

If it weren't for the school I went to (45k/yr) I would've gone PLC, no doubt.

I second that from what I saw around my NROTC unit.

phrogpilot73

I have the Marine Shop(scammer central) sending me a notice that I'm gonna need to pay up pretty soon and that it should go to them...yeah right, MCCS here I come.
Personal opinion about Marine Shop vs MCX... I went with Marine Shop for my full uniform set-up and regretted it, for two reasons. 1.) It's more expensive, 2.) They cut out the excess material in your Service A Jacket and Dress Blue Jacket, making it difficult (at best) to tailor if you gain a little weight. If I had to do it again, this is how I'd spend my hard earned duckets:

Marine Shop
Barracks cover frame (just the frame - I like the bamboo, find it more comfortable)
Garrison covers (I like the leather band on the inside)
Sword (I think it's nicer)
Sam Browne Belt (I like their latch/buckle better)

MCX
Everything else.

The Marine Shop will try and swindle you and tell you that the colors won't match, you have to buy everything from them, etc... A load of crap.

My all-weather coat still has 2ndLt bars on it. I just thank my lucky stars I didn't fall for the "tanker jacket" pitch. I did fall for the "big enchilada" package from the Marine Shop, otherwise. Bad move. A tackle box is a lot more handy than the jewelry box, BTW. Hell, an ammo can with plastic baggies inside is more practical than the jewelry box.

I have it fact used my sword and Sam Browne more than my AWC since TBS, by a factor of infinity, in that twice is infinitely more often than zero.
My AWC still has 2ndLt bars on it as well, and I fell for the Tanker Jacket pitch. Never wore it. Now that I'm out - the jewelry box isn't bad. And I've used my Sam Browne and Sword 5 times since TBS...