• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Marine Option Questions

kchjs7

Hey all,
I have some questions about doing NROTC. I'll be a senior in high school in the fall and started my package for NROTC Marine Option. My local enlisted Marine recruiter has been calling asking about what I'm interested in, and the last time we talked he asked me "preliminary" questions about doing NROTC. He said that he would forward that information to the OSO, but would call back later to confirm this. Should I be talking to him about anything, or just wait until the OSO calls?

Also, when will I take the PFT? Do I do this when I go for my interview or when I go to MEPS?

Anyone who has been through the process and knows would be a lot of help. Thanks!

war eagle

This is just an idea - from a Navy Option NROTC guy - you might want to ask your recruiter/OSO about the PLC program. I think it's called Platoon Leadership Corp. I have buddies in it that don't do NROTC.... it's just a different path to USMC OCS and commissioning. It's worth at least comparing the two...

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Hey all,
I have some questions about doing NROTC. I'll be a senior in high school in the fall and started my package for NROTC Marine Option. My local enlisted Marine recruiter has been calling asking about what I'm interested in, and the last time we talked he asked me "preliminary" questions about doing NROTC. He said that he would forward that information to the OSO, but would call back later to confirm this. Should I be talking to him about anything, or just wait until the OSO calls?

Also, when will I take the PFT? Do I do this when I go for my interview or when I go to MEPS?

Anyone who has been through the process and knows would be a lot of help. Thanks!

You can find some info here.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/announcement.php?f=43

pjxc415

pilot
1. Don't wait too long for you OSO to call. There is nothing wrong with taking the initiative to get his number and give him a call. Just be tactful about it ... if you do call say that you understand the recruiter was forwarding your package but you were wondering if there was anything else you could do to jumpstart the process.

2. I did the PFT on my own time after receiving the application. You need to have a school authority monitor it (i.e gym teacher, coach, principal) or you can get your local recruiter to do it. It is probably contingent on the OSO though, i lived 3.5 hours away from mine so it just wasn't realistic to make me drive there to take a pft.

3. Look sharp for your interview, but don't go out and get a high and tight. I had a pretty sick hockey mullet for mine and still got the scholarship.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
1. Don't wait too long for you OSO to call. There is nothing wrong with taking the initiative to get his number and give him a call. Just be tactful about it ... if you do call say that you understand the recruiter was forwarding your package but you were wondering if there was anything else you could do to jumpstart the process.

2. I did the PFT on my own time after receiving the application. You need to have a school authority monitor it (i.e gym teacher, coach, principal) or you can get your local recruiter to do it. It is probably contingent on the OSO though, i lived 3.5 hours away from mine so it just wasn't realistic to make me drive there to take a pft.

3. Look sharp for your interview, but don't go out and get a high and tight. I had a pretty sick hockey mullet for mine and still got the scholarship.

You can interview with a hockey mullet and still get picked up for a scholarship? Now I have heard it all...:eek:

pghdvldog

pilot
I just finished 4 years of ROTC. I know Lts who went through ROTC and PLC/OCC.

The best advice I can give:

If you need money for school, go NROTC. Otherwise, go PLC or OCC. NROTC is a huge time commitment, especially for Marine options. It really depends on the college experience you are looking for.

If it weren't for the school I went to (45k/yr) I would've gone PLC, no doubt.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
NROTC is a huge time commitment, especially for Marine options.

That and you have to buy and maintain a bunch of gay uniforms you'll never use again. Marines in airports will choke slam you and ask why you're wearing such a silly uniform with an EGA on the collar.

Seriously though, NROTC won't mentally break you at school. You only wear your uniform sometimes, and it will get you prepared. They pay you're tuition bill and give you a stipend. Oh yeah, and OCS is only six friggin' weeks. Also, if you don't have a hard on for a specific school, ask around about the different cultures and battle rhythms at different schools. They're not all the same. Some have different demands and cultures (please don't start a USNA v ROTC v OCS argument) that you may fit into differently than others.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That and you have to buy and maintain a bunch of gay uniforms you'll never use again.

For the sake of full disclosure... as a MO (or NO, for that matter), you don't buy your uniforms.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
For the sake of full disclosure... as a MO (or NO, for that matter), you don't buy your uniforms.

Good point and granted...Until it's time to commission, then you have to have some pretty deep pockets to build your seabag. I need to worry about things like providing for a baby, putting down new floors, and buying an airplane and suddenly I have the Marine Shop(scammer central) sending me a notice that I'm gonna need to pay up pretty soon and that it should go to them...yeah right, MCCS here I come.

kchjs7

That's definitely a relief, I'm pretty sure that the closest OSO is at least that far. Does it matter when I do the PFT, or just that I have it done for my complete package?

Is getting medically approved with DODMERB part of the application package?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Good point and granted...Until it's time to commission, then you have to have some pretty deep pockets to build your seabag. I need to worry about things like providing for a baby, putting down new floors, and buying an airplane and suddenly I have the Marine Shop(scammer central) sending me a notice that I'm gonna need to pay up pretty soon and that it should go to them...yeah right, MCCS here I come.

From what I have seen those pockets need to be a little deeper for our Marine friends

pjxc415

pilot
That's definitely a relief, I'm pretty sure that the closest OSO is at least that far. Does it matter when I do the PFT, or just that I have it done for my complete package?

Is getting medically approved with DODMERB part of the application package?

I basically handed in my application, all inclusive, when i went to my interview. Make it easy for the OSO, he/she will be impressed if you have everything together, organized, and taken care to do a good job with it.

From what I recall DODMERB is a seperate process. I'm pretty sure you can be awarded a scholarship while you're still waiting to be medically qualed. Obviously actually beginning with nrotc is congintent on dodmerb.

And why do Marines need deeper pockets for uniforms? .... well, check out the officers uniform section at marineshop.com, you will understand.

Crowbar

None
Why is that?

Roughly:

$500 for dress coat, one set of trousers
$400 for service coat, two sets of trousers
$200 for khaki shirts--2 short sleeve, 2 long sleeve
$75 for covers--1 frame, 2 crowns, 1 garrison
$600 for sword and all associated items (required)
$50 per pair of shoes (2 required per uniform regs)

Plus plan on another hundred or two for web belts, cover/collar insignia, shooting badges, ribbon(s), bars, undershirts, socks, and the like. Plus, any replacement of cammies or boots is going to cost you, and if you just like blowing money on boots there are plenty of companies out there willing to take your money.

Those prices are rough estimates based on exchange prices and what I vaguely remember spending, I didn't buy from the Marine Shop. I'd be curious to know how much a typical Ensign has to spend on uniforms.

Edit: I'd also like to hear from anybody who went through TBS recently and remembers how much they spent, if you don't mind saying.