• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC indocs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm starting Vanderbilt NROTC in 1.5 weeks and we have a one week indoc. Just so I can get a sense of what it's like, anyone have any stories, anecdotes, or anything else they'd like to share about their 4/c orientations?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Did not go to Vanderbilt, but at CU the week os frosh indoc was at an army base in barracks. It was treated like boot camp. Yelling marines, inspections... on and on..

It was meant to break everyone down to a common level and then let them build back up together. Also it was a crash course in customs and courtesy, uniform prep and other things unique to the military that differ from high school. Not fun while we were there, but looking back it was not so bad.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Rest assured, unless you enjoy getting yelled at and feeling stupid, indoc will suck. Just remember that its all for show and it only lasts for a week. If you really want to be in the Navy you can put up with a weeks worth of bulls***.

Its not boot camp and although some of the upperclassmen running it think that they're R. Lee Ermey (I can't count how many FMJ quotes I heard that week) its clearly not anything out of hollywood. The worst they can do is yell at you and make you do pushups.

Penn State NROTC does their indoc (aka "Gap Week" or "The Gap") at Fort Indiantown Gap, PA. Its an Army National Guard base and based upon the parts of it I saw during Gap Week, I think most of it could be turned into a nuclear test range and no one would care. What a hole.

From what I've heard other units do their indoc training in a similar manner.

My only advice is to try to blend in as much as possible unless you enjoy getting "special attention".

Good luck.

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
Well at my indoc (University of South Florida) we stayed at NAS Jax in the BOQ :D . We did it with U of F and Embry Riddle. We toured Uss JFK (Carrier), USS Phil Sea (CG) Those were at NS Mayport.

We also went up to Kings Bay sub base and toured an SSBN Uss Nebraska as well as visting the Sub training building and Marine Security Guard Company.

At NAS Jax we visited some P-3 and they had some Superhornets and I believe at Tompcat fly in from somewhere.

We took a really boring firefighting class, but we did get to do the Firefighting simulator. That was really hot :icon_rage

Overall it wasnt that bad. Besides the no sleeping on the long bus rides we took. They also told us we were going to sleep in til 8 on the last day. Boy were we wrong. They were banging on the door at 4am

That was the closest thing to boot camp some of the Navy guys will every seee before they get comissioned. It will be fun, dont worry bout it :D

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, you guys that get tours suck!

We got yelled at by some Marines and learned all the basic drilling etc. My advice to you: plan on it sucking. You're going to be exposed to a whole new world in a very short time, and probably will be yelled at as well. Plan on being humbled for a week!

Crowbar

None
When you look at what OCS people have to go through, one week is nothing. Some people call it "hell" week. I think those people are stupid. At most it should be referred to as "slight discomfort" week. Our Plt staff for Freshman Orientation are forbidden from saying anything to or having any contact with the freshman between evening "Dismissed" and morning "Fall in". Side note: we are in the sticks so we don't get to go to any base to make things more authentic.

The point is not to turn you into officer material in one week. As said before, it's a crash course in customs and courtesies, how to wear uniforms, how to drill, blah blah blah. Soak up everything that is said to you, and more importantly, APPLY IT ON A DAILY BASIS, and you will probably have minimal trouble.

Good luck!

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's not that bad. Seriously. It's a week. And to those guys that stayed in BOQs and stuff, weak.... so weak.

jagges84

Semper Gumby "Always Flexible"
Fly Navy said:
And to those guys that stayed in BOQs and stuff, weak.... so weak.
Thats me... :D

But I have to endure OCS, unlike yall Navy peeps :icon_smil

frcabot

BTW, 5 days for us (Sep 20 through 24) and also they are making us pay $120 to participate. WTF? LOL!

WannaBEaP3gal

You are not a midshipman yet buddy, you will learn that really quick once your indoc starts, so for now, please refrain from using "MIDN" infront of your name. Complete your indoc first before you use that title. Thanx

flashypants

Whoa.
pilot
IceWoman04 said:
You are not a midshipman yet buddy, you will learn that really quick once your indoc starts, so for now, please refrain from using "MIDN" infront of your name. Complete your indoc first before you use that title. Thanx

I couldn't agree more, especially since I graduated from UCLA in March...just what the unit does not need is some kid who's not even in college yet telling everyone he's a midshipman at UCLA, then doing something really stupid and tarnishing the UCLA battalion reputation.

Not saying it will happen, most likely won't considering you got a scholarship so you're not dumb, but it's safer not to associate yourself with an organization until you're truly a part of it. It's analogous to me, a SNA, telling all my friends and family back home that I'm an aviator, because I've flown planes. I'm not an aviator till I earn my Wings of Gold.

On the subject of "orientation week" at UCLA, they should rename it "Happy Fun Week." It's really laid back, no yelling and screaming, no harsh treatment, no early reveille, simply an introduction to the military, basic customs/courtesies, uniform wear/upkeep, inspection knowledge, etc... It really is a nice vacation for a week before school starts...and it's in Southern California, so you can't really beat it. I would bet that there are a lot of people out there who would gladly pay $120 to get that deal, instead of the indocs they get. Enjoy it, and be a proud UCLA Mid once you do get sworn in.

ENS Shaun Turner
UCLA '04

Status
Not open for further replies.