• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Applicant

Short

None
Other plus sides of going to RPI will be the chance to become proficient with small arms recognition, basic tenets of urban warfare and disaster relief, all within 5 minutes of campus. None of these things will be related to NROTC training, just side benefits of going to school in Rennslear/Troy region. But hey, at least the weather sucks.

Will_T

Will_T
Midn09, Im going for an aerospce/aeronautical engineering degree, and that is tier 1, Ive always wanted to, and I hope it helps my chances.
Short, I know what you mean, I went up there for a visit, and while the campus is nice, its not even half a mile from some not so nice places, and since Im from CT, Im used to NorthEast weather.
Thanks,
Will.

pjxc415

pilot
Will,

Best of luck with the application. I'll be the BU advocate here since it was three of the most fun years of my life. I don't know much about RPI, other than the fact that northern new york has nothing on boston. At BU you will be in a city with 250,000 other college students (good odds even for the engineers), live within 10 mins of fenway park and hundreds of bars, and be able to cheer on a national champion hockey team. They just built sky-rise, high quality dorms, and a 25$ mil facility including a new hockey stadium and state of the art gym (has a track on the second floor, rock climbing wall, olympic size pool, smoothie bar, and lazy river). Yes, BU has a LAZY RIVER.

I was there in 2004 when the Sox came back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Yankees in the ALCS. Kenmore square erupted. Cars were flipped, signs were torn down, and cops rolled in with tear gas. On the march back to BU, the crowd was led by a guy playing some irish tunes on the bagpipes. Quite the experience.

I majored in history, did rotc, and ran track. Rarely studied, drank all the time, sucked at running, and had an absolute blast. My buddy was an aerospace engineer, studied all the time, rarely slept, built a satellite ... and now we're both naval aviators. Whatever you want to do, go for it, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't.

Will_T

Will_T
Thanks for the advice pjxc, but I am a Yankees fan, so the red sox part doesnt help. I really like BU though, but its out of my hands right now.

pjxc415

pilot
I remember the wait from my senior year ... does indeed suck. I found out in early March as a Marine option. Sounds like you have a strong package, don't read into the fact that you haven't heard anything yet.

Will_T

Will_T
Thanks pjxc, I hope I get picked, this means alot to me and has been my source of inspiration for months.
thanks again for the vote of confidence

Will_T

Will_T
So, the latest information I've found says that there are about 450 selections per board selection date, which means that there are 1800 spots left, and I'm sure there are several times that number of applications in the pool. I am still hoping for the scholarship, but am starting to look at college program as well. I'm not trying to get ahead of myself, because I only need to be seen as one of the top 1800 people in a group, but I need to be realistic as well. I hope my lack of sports/leadership positions wont kill me here, it's not like I didn't do anything with my time.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look good but,
Don't do engineering.
More than half of the Mid's in my class are just like you and applied for the scholarship in engineering. General consensus: BIG mistake. About 80% of them hate it and are trying to switch(which is nearly impossible if on Tier 1 scholarship).

Unless you like....

026522.jpg

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I remember the wait from my senior year ... does indeed suck. I found out in early March as a Marine option. Sounds like you have a strong package, don't read into the fact that you haven't heard anything yet.

What my fellow BU alum said :) Hang in there - it's early yet....

Will_T

Will_T
Thanks for the advice, but I didn't apply there, or add it to my nrotc application, and its pretty far from home, too long for me anyway.
Also, I saw on another forum that some nrotc applicants had received "no"s from the selection board, so it would seem, since I didn't get a "no", that I'm still competitive.

ctall90

Also, I saw on another forum that some nrotc applicants had received "no"s from the selection board, so it would seem, since I didn't get a "no", that I'm still competitive.

As sorry as I am for those that received the bad news, that gives me a glimmer of hope :) The wait is still becoming increasingly discouraging, though.

Will_T

Will_T
Yea, i feel ya on that one. but tomorrow is the 2 week mark since a board date, so check your mailbox/application online/dodmerb to see if you got it.