• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NROTC Applicant

Benny12

Your package looks good. If the off chance you don't get a scholarship contact the NROTC unit at the University your going to attend and ask about the college program they offer. If you do good your first semester/year there is a good chance at picking up a 3 year scholarship.

Best of Luck,
Ben

Will_T

Will_T
wink, My ACT score was a 29, and my SATs were an 1850, and I have another SAT done, with my scores unreported yet. And about 57% of my high school goes to a 4 year university after their senior year.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
wink, My ACT score was a 29, and my SATs were an 1850, and I have another SAT done, with my scores unreported yet. And about 57% of my high school goes to a 4 year university after their senior year.

Given your test scores, H.S. college matriculation rate, and previously provided info, you should have a bettter then average chance of selection, especially if you go sicence or engineering. I hope you found a way to mention your involvement in your Youth Group and even your family obligation. If there isn't a bubble to shade in for something that paints a more complete picture of you then put it should be in a remarks box or worked into one of your essays. Be wary of the DODMERB physical.

Will_T

Will_T
Thanks Wink, I'd really love the opportunity to serve as an officer, so I hope my chances are good too. And I talked at length with the lieutenant commander ( a LT Com. Smalls at the Plainville Reserve Center in CT, if anyone knows him, a real nice guy), about my community involvement and the family obligation. It was a quick interview (his first, as he was moving into his new command), but I felt that I was very respectful, and sincere. Im very excited to see what comes of this, which may be why I check the status daily, if not twice daily.
And I will be wary, but besides a couple bone fractures (minor, totally healed), an allergy to shellfish, and a minor case of eczema, I have a completely clean bill of health.

Will_T

Will_T
Quick question,
I have been unable to find any information on the board dates for the NROTC Scholarship Selection Board this year, and am very interested. If anyone knows, please share. It appears that all this time ive been waiting (1 month+), my application was being processed, now I am eligible for selection.
Thank you,
Will.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I was stashed at the ROTC Office far too long ago... Had to answer the phone and explain to people why thier precious child did not get an ROTC scholarship.
Biggest things seemed to be:
1. What percent of the class were you in; how did you do against your peers?
2. SAT/ACT scores. How well do you do against the rest of the country and also this will show if you do well at standardized testing which is what the Navy does.
3. Extracirucular activities. Usually sports, but band, drama or any type of social organization is considered equal.
4. Leadership in groups. In #3 were you class president? Captain of a team? Leader of the Computer Club (head geek)? Something that shows you can lead people effectivly.
5. Civic mindedness. Eagle Scout is freakin' HUGE here. It showed long term comittment, leadership and you're most likely not a dirt bag.
6. Interviews. How well do you present yourself.

Being an effective Naval Officer requires all the things they are looking for here.
If you don't have one of these, I would see about trying to get them, because someone else will!!

My numbers are a bit dated but there were 20,000 applicants for 1,500 total scholarships, so do the math.

Good luck, the Navy isn't for everyone but for those who it is, it's professionally rewarding and a whole lot of fun!!

Will_T

Will_T
thanks lumpy,
believe me, I wont be having my parents call up the scholarship guys. And I think i do pretty well for myself, my scores and glass rank/ GPA are very good, ive done a lot of church youth group activities, NHS(which stresses leadership), and have a huge family commitment. That commitment has prevented me from doing extracurriculars after school, but I believe both my application and interview stress that, plus, I believe Ihad a pretty good impression on my interviewing officer.
But a 7.5% chance isn't great. It doesn't matter though, even if I don't get the scholarship, Ill go College Program, maybe try to pick up another scholarship.
Thank you again though, that was great information (though I probably didn't have to run through my credentials again), and Im crossing my fingers.
Will.

Will_T

Will_T
I have found this info on another site. Its a list of the board dates:
FY09C 10/14/09
D 11/3
E 11/17
F 12/8
G 1/12/2010
H 1/26
I 2/9
J 3/2
K 3/16
L 4/6-2010

Will_T

Will_T
Well,
its been what? 4 months since I put in my application?
The wait is killing me, and I know that there are still several board dates left, but Im starting to worry that I'm being overlooked, or sorted in to some sort of "hell-no" pile.
Seems like too much hurry up and wait to me.
Any advice, or am I just worrying too much?
Thanks guys.

VulcanRider

pilot
I put my package in during the Fall and didn't find out until the end of January. That was also 6 years ago. Both Boston and RPI are great schools. RPI catches a bad rap, mostly from the people who have a less than average social life. There is plenty to do there if you are social enough. Plus Albany is right down the road, along with SUNY Albany. There is an all girls college right in downtown Troy only 2 blocks away from one of the most popular bars. Union college isn't far away and they throw some awesome parties. It's like Wnuk said, it's about what kind of campus environment you want.
Good luck on your selection. You sound like you have a lot going for you.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, ditto on the don't freak out if you haven't heard yet idea. I finished my application in December my senior year (which also happened to be 6 years ago) and didn't find out until two days before graduation at the end of May.

navy09

None
Will, for what it's worth, if you were in the "hell no" category they probably would have let you know already. If you keep getting rolled month to month it means you're competitive and still in the game. Don't stress, it's all out of your hands now*. Good luck with selection.

*If you've got anything else to add to your package since you submitted it, let your recruiter know and they will probably submit it to the board. This can include last semester's grades, awards from the fall sports season (MVP, All-League), or any other scholastic or community awards.

Will_T

Will_T
Thanks guys,
it just really sucks waiting for it, but I really want it too, so im stuck between a rock and a hard place. Oh well.
And Midn09, I had my admissions offer letter from my number 3 sent in, do you think my 1st half grades will be beneficial, I believe they are pretty good?
thanks again,
Will.

navy09

None
Absolutely, lots of people f**k away those fall grades since not many colleges ask for them. Not a big deal but if you've done well (above your avg GPA) you'll likely set yourself apart.

Forgot to mention earlier that "Tier 1/2" majors are a big deal now. If you're not applying as a Engineering/Math/Science major your chances aren't too hot. If you previously applied as a Tier 3, you could consider switching to Tier 2 nw. Not sure how feasible that would be at this point but possibly worth thinking about.