• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NPQ from Flight School

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You should not make jokes like that with someone who is going through a rough time.

Didn't you pay attention in SWOicide awareness training?!?
Actually I don't think of it as a joke but instead I view it as a serious alternative. If I was in Pinehollow's position, I would be looking at SWO very closely.

We make a lot of jokes on here about SWOs and their culture, but don't think for one moment that anyone with any experience does not respect the job they do, the sacrifices they make or their professionalism. Earn your warfare device and get some experience in the fleet before giving career advice. SWO bashing based on your airwarrior's experience does not help Pinehollow.

If I wanted to be a Navy officer and I was NPQed from flying, I would apply for SWO in a heartbeat.

Besides, what are the non-flying Coasties but SWOs wearing waders?

trackgain

Sorry to hear about being NPQd. What options are they giving you. You should think about your options. If you joined the Navy to be a Flyer, why are you looking at the CG (if you are NPQd from all services). Are they offering Intel to you? I'd take that over SWO. In fact I am an Intel O and love it. I do it in the Civilian World and in the Military World. Look at your options, find out what you can do on the outside with your skills and take that option. Remember, with the world like it is today...there will always be a job for Intel.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox for my community. Just wanted to let you know that you need to look at the options in the Navy before you jump ship to another branch of service.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tough news, but you can recover. To follow on from what HAL said, if the Navy is willing to redesignate you, do it. I know for a fact that the folks in the NUKE community are looking for bright young men & women. That might be a real possibility.

-ea6bfly ;)

Brunes

pilot
Sorry to hear you got bad news man. If you got up with CoastieFlyer already good enuf- If not, I'm and SNA and have all the contact info for CAPT. You can also stop by the Lighthouse on NASP during working hours Monday-Friday...Someone should be around to at least get you set up to talk to CAPT.

Good luck figuring out what you want!!

burningfeathers

Reading the grout jokes
The gouge I got from a buddy of mine who was NPQ'd from aviation is that Redesignation out of the community is actually hard to come by right now. The last redes board had 6 applicants who were leaving aviation for one reason or another, of the six one picked up an IW spot, and another IP, the other four were given their walking papers and had to leave the Navy, so I would say if the CG wants you...go for it.

nugget61

pilot
Dang it!!! Didn't anyone tell you the gouge??? The arrow always points to the middle, the line is always on the middle step...
Is there a specific thread that walks you through a complete flight physical, telling us what each test is meant to determine and what the test looks like?

The gouge I got from a buddy of mine who was NPQ'd from aviation is that Redesignation out of the community is actually hard to come by right now. The last redes board had 6 applicants who were leaving aviation for one reason or another, of the six one picked up an IW spot, and another IP, the other four were given their walking papers and had to leave the Navy, so I would say if the CG wants you...go for it.

Does anyone know the reasoning behind this? Arent these guys all commissioned officers, if they want to re-designate doesn't that just save the navy the cost of sending someone else through OCS?

Does anyone know what it would take to see a flight surgeon before final-select? If I get selected I would hate to get out of the navy right after OCS when if I had known before hand I could have just gone through with a different designation.

nugget61

pilot
...Does anyone know what it would take to see a flight surgeon before final-select? If I get selected I would hate to get out of the navy right after OCS when if I had known before hand I could have just gone through with a different designation.

If I understand correctly, the Marines get to see a doc before they go to OCS but we don't (at least on the Navy's dime). I just went to see a FAA flight doc, took the med requirements for SNAs with me and have him give me a once over. Granted, I could still be NPQ, but I feel a lot better knowing that I'm likely ok.

Clux4

Banned
Sorry to hear your situation but have you thought about the USMC.
I would imagine that they will have you go to TBS and then pick up an MOS just like everyone else. You could try and get other Aviation related MOS's if you still want to be with the wing.
I do not see why this would be a problem for the Marine Corps.
Talk to the Marine Corps leadership where you are and see what they say. You are probably still an newly minted Ensign so your year group is still in the training pipe-line.

All the best

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Bummer, dude. But you're not the first, and at least you're being proactive with your options and trying to stay in the fight.

My $0.02: having worn shoes black and brown, your idea of looking into the white-boat side is not a bad one. I looked into doing just such a move from SWO as a backup plan if my aviation redes package fell through. They certainly have their own downsides (having heard lots of stories from my cousin in the CG and his broke-ass cutters), but it seemed to me like they have their shite a bit more together, community-wise than SWOland.

Put it this way: you're going to have to struggle to redesignate or struggle to lat-transfer. I think your time would be better spent trying to get into the CG.