• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November 2014 Supply Board

Workingoutsidemyfield

Since you are going for DCO they will look for different things in the motivational statement than someone going for OCS.

Here is one thing, you will have to have interviews by reserve Supply officers, those officers will review your entire kit including your statement, if they like your statement that will factor into your marks, so your best bet is to have your recruiter get you in touch with reserve supply officers and ask them what they look for in a DCO Supply motivational statement.

My interviews were mixed, I had reserve and active view points. I tried to show versatility. I am a reservist, HM2. It is hard to find Officers outside our rates. Do your research. You still need to touch on certain points I did, so it still would be a great example. Explain how you can help out the reserve community. You short and long term goals via the military.

SlimShady

The Real...
Since you are going for DCO they will look for different things in the motivational statement than someone going for OCS.

Here is one thing, you will have to have interviews by reserve Supply officers, those officers will review your entire kit including your statement, if they like your statement that will factor into your marks, so your best bet is to have your recruiter get you in touch with reserve supply officers and ask them what they look for in a DCO Supply motivational statement.
I've had one interview and expecting the second next week. My kit is almost complete. I have written a motivational statement and was hoping someone would take a look and give feedback.
I have excellent LORs and already have security clearance and med...

SlimShady

The Real...
My interviews were mixed, I had reserve and active view points. I tried to show versatility. I am a reservist, HM2. It is hard to find Officers outside our rates. Do your research. You still need to touch on certain points I did, so it still would be a great example. Explain how you can help out the reserve community. You short and long term goals via the military.
Thanks so much for the input and I look forward to your MS as an example.

SlimShady

The Real...
I am also a reservist (or will be)...

exNavyOffRec

but DCO should not, in fact a person going AD can shoot themselves in the foot by getting reserve officer interviews, you are a reservist so you understand the reserve structure, I have seen more than a few AD applicants get bad interviews marks from reserve officers because they expected them to understand what they did. It got to the point our CO talked to the reserve officers doing interviews and let them know that applicants going for AD were expected to have no knowledge of the military and they were to be evaluated on their academic and professional backgrounds.

SlimShady

The Real...
but DCO should not, in fact a person going AD can shoot themselves in the foot by getting reserve officer interviews, you are a reservist so you understand the reserve structure, I have seen more than a few AD applicants get bad interviews marks from reserve officers because they expected them to understand what they did. It got to the point our CO talked to the reserve officers doing interviews and let them know that applicants going for AD were expected to have no knowledge of the military and they were to be evaluated on their academic and professional backgrounds.
Great info -both of you... Greatly appreciated!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
If I could go SWO I would go SWO however, I am DQed for acute color deficiency. Because of this, I am unable to do any Line officer job. Further, I just turned 30 so age waivers will have to be considered for future boards.

All waivers had been approved the past few supply boards according to the select list.

FraFla

All waivers had been approved the past few supply boards according to the select list.
Thank you! I have decided I will be applying one last time to supply. I will clearly need an age waiver and I am considering signing up for some business courses to help my chances. Further, my recruiter has applied me to the next intel board. I am not hopeful for this since my packet was heavily geared towards supply but, who knows. With a degree in Analytic philosophy and the study of religion (focusing on current events and religious violence) maybe, just maybe, I have a sliver of a chance :).

Workingoutsidemyfield

Thank you! I have decided I will be applying one last time to supply. I will clearly need an age waiver and I am considering signing up for some business courses to help my chances. Further, my recruiter has applied me to the next intel board. I am not hopeful for this since my packet was heavily geared towards supply but, who knows. With a degree in Analytic philosophy and the study of religion (focusing on current events and religious violence) maybe, just maybe, I have a sliver of a chance :).

Good luck...im cheering for anyone who endures the hassle of a kit and wanting to join the Navy Supply Corps community.

BackOrdered

Contributor

Are you communicating how your degree will aid the Supply Corps community specifically? I have seen folks recently get an up vote with unconventional skillsets based off their ability to communicate the value.

FraFla

Are you communicating how your degree will aid the Supply Corps community specifically? I have seen folks recently get an up vote with unconventional skillsets based off their ability to communicate the value.
this is what I said concerning my degree:

Lastly, my degree in Analytic Philosophy has made me very attentive. I am educated in taking difficult issues, simplifying them and offering
potential solutions. Further, part of my studies was to effectively communicate, sometimes highly complicated materials, without over simplifying
it, both written and orally. Thinking outside the box, analytic skills and quantitative skills were all part of my studies.

Looking at it now it may seem rather vague but, when I wrote it, I was proud of this little paragraph :).

BackOrdered

Contributor
this is what I said concerning my degree:

Lastly, my degree in Analytic Philosophy has made me very attentive. I am educated in taking difficult issues, simplifying them and offering
potential solutions. Further, part of my studies was to effectively communicate, sometimes highly complicated materials, without over simplifying
it, both written and orally. Thinking outside the box, analytic skills and quantitative skills were all part of my studies.

Looking at it now it may seem rather vague but, when I wrote it, I was proud of this little paragraph :).

I would agree.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Your major isn't business or STEM-related which really hurts when it comes to the boards. Unless you're prior enlisted with logistics experience I would suggest either consider other options for officer (IDC, etc.) or take business courses to help out. You mentioned needing an age waiver, unless you're prior enlisted waivers aren't being entertained for civilian applicants.

NavyBrat2015

I posted somethibg similar in the motivational statement thread, but figured I would receive a better response here. Would anybody that was selected from this board be willing to share their motivational statement? I am close to finishing mine, but want to make sure I am on the right track.