• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

November 08 Boards

Gills

euclid,
The exact same thing happened to me, and my recruiter knows what he is talking about. The thing that screwed you (and me) is this new "first 50 applicants" thing that they are doing. I think wink had already warned us about this...something like it is a way to improve the percentage of people approved...less people, higher percent approved, I guess. But long story short I can assure you that you are not the only one, and it is probably not your recruiters fault.

McBuff

Sees the light
Grant, not to sound cliche, but I guess it depends. If you think you can significantly improve your ASTB with some time then do that. The way I see it, you can get PRK, take three to six months to heal, study for the ASTB, get some interviews and great letters, do some community service, get some stick time and be a shoe-in for SNA.

Also, what were you planning on doing about your eyes had you been selected in Nov?

grant_davis

Grant, not to sound cliche, but I guess it depends. If you think you can significantly improve your ASTB with some time then do that. The way I see it, you can get PRK, take three to six months to heal, study for the ASTB, get some interviews and great letters, do some community service, get some stick time and be a shoe-in for SNA.

Also, what were you planning on doing about your eyes had you been selected in Nov?

Good point. Fix eyes first and then bust my ass and do everything I can to have a goo package (even if it is a risk)... Haha not too sure what I would have done if I was selected. My recruiter seemed to think that because I was BDCP if I went to MEPS and failed my vision they would let me get the surgery then final select.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
^--- I would really focus on your ASTB. It is a big part of your package and if you go to the stats/scores, get a good feel for what people are getting selected with. It really is the only stats that they can measure applicant "A" and applicant "B" with on an equal ground. Grades, schools, majors, life experiences all vary...

You want to put the best package you possibly can that best represents you. If you have a chance to better your package but you want to play it safe, that is doing a disservice to you I would think.

grant_davis

^--- I would really focus on your ASTB. It is a big part of your package and if you go to the stats/scores, get a good feel for what people are getting selected with. It really is the only stats that they can measure applicant "A" and applicant "B" with on an equal ground. Grades, schools, majors, life experiences all vary...

You want to put the best package you possibly can that best represents you. If you have a chance to better your package but you want to play it safe, that is doing a disservice to you I would think.

Yes sir, I am going to run it by recruiter but I am sure he is going to say the same thing. Plus if you think about it in order to be a pilot I am going to have to pass a lot harder test than the ASTB so playing it safe here is useless when harder test are to come.

euclid83

FS SNA
Thanks for all the advice guys. My recruiter has been, for the most part, very helpful and I haven’t even considered getting a new one. Despite my frustration I have always conducted myself with the upmost respect and do not intend to go over his head. I do, however, feel that I should at least get some sort of conformation that my package is in the system or on deck for review at some point in the near future. Is this information something I could get from the NRD? If I were to do this do you think I would be going over my recruiter’s head?

McBuff

Sees the light
Your best bet might be to ask one of the recruiters on AW to look for your name when the next list comes out.

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
Thanks for all the advice guys. My recruiter has been, for the most part, very helpful and I haven’t even considered getting a new one. Despite my frustration I have always conducted myself with the upmost respect and do not intend to go over his head. I do, however, feel that I should at least get some sort of conformation that my package is in the system or on deck for review at some point in the near future. Is this information something I could get from the NRD? If I were to do this do you think I would be going over my recruiter’s head?

Sorry for the bad advice, I had heard it mentioned before and didn't realize doing so would cause such hard feelings. It doesn't hurt to call up the NRD to ask any questions, recruiters are busy people so sometimes you have to try other methods. I have been told to stay in the chain of command to prevent troubles, but if you aren't hearing back then that's really your only option besides waiting.

In my experiences, I tried calling up my NRD numerous times, leaving messages for multiple people. I only ended up getting 1 call back a few days later. YMMV, but I guess they have a lot going on too.

euclid83

FS SNA
Sorry for the bad advice, I had heard it mentioned before and didn't realize doing so would cause such hard feelings. It doesn't hurt to call up the NRD to ask any questions, recruiters are busy people so sometimes you have to try other methods. I have been told to stay in the chain of command to prevent troubles, but if you aren't hearing back then that's really your only option besides waiting.

No worries atrickpay. Thats why this forum is so great; to get a whole pool of opinions despite their degree of the worthiness.:D

euclid83

FS SNA
I really appreciate you guys for the advice and listening to my pissing and moaning, although Im sure most of you can understand my frustration. Yesterday was pretty devistating to find out I wasn't reviewed after almost 2 months of waiting. Anywho, for those of you who may be wondering, my stats are as follows:

Personal Info:
25/Male
Graduated from Appalachian State University (3.51 gpa)
Major in Environmental Chemistry
Minor in Mathematics
67 8/8/7 ASTB

Extra Curricular Activities:
2 years varsity football (starting tailback)
2 years varsity basketball (guard: not my best sport)
1 year track (200/400 meter)
Appalachian Chemical Society
Appalachian Physics and Astronomy club
Research Experience for Undergraduates program (REU) at Western Kentucky University
EPA volunteer in Green River watershed stream health management

PRT: not official but 90 pushups/80 sit-ups/10:30 1.5 mile run

LORs:
3 from various retired and active duty naval aviators
2 from college professors

atrickpay

BDCP SNA
I really appreciate you guys for the advice and listening to my pissing and moaning, although Im sure most of you can understand my frustration. Yesterday was pretty devistating to find out I wasn't reviewed after almost 2 months of waiting. Anywho, for those of you who may be wondering, my stats are as follows:

Personal Info:
25/Male
Graduated from Appalachian State University (3.51 gpa)
Major in Environmental Chemistry
Minor in Mathematics
67 8/8/7 ASTB

Extra Curricular Activities:
2 years varsity football (starting tailback)
2 years varsity basketball (guard: not my best sport)
1 year track (200/400 meter)
Appalachian Chemical Society
Appalachian Physics and Astronomy club
Research Experience for Undergraduates program (REU) at Western Kentucky University
EPA volunteer in Green River watershed stream health management

PRT: not official but 90 pushups/80 sit-ups/10:30 1.5 mile run

LORs:
3 from various retired and active duty naval aviators
2 from college professors

Very solid application you have there. Good luck to you, even though personally I don't think you'll need it. ;)

euclid83

FS SNA
Thanks for the confidence atrickpay. It seems there are a lot of strong applicants here on Air Warriors.

Does anyone know how I would contact a recruiter here on AW if I needed advice or to express any concerns?

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Thanks for the confidence atrickpay. It seems there are a lot of strong applicants here on Air Warriors.

Does anyone know how I would contact a recruiter here on AW if I needed advice or to express any concerns?

I'm telling you man..contacting your NRD just to ask if there is an 'at-board' list at the beginning of the month is not overstepping any sort of boundaries.

You would get a quicker answer from them, then waiting for a recruiter to find some free time to get onto their Airwarrior account.

Find what NRD you belong to, usually they have a website..and call the main line. If you call the specific extension, you'll usually get a voicemail. The main line, someone usually answers and screens your call...at least you're talking to a human and they will get you in touch with who you need to talk to. Just say "Hi, I was up for the boards this month, and have been pushed to January, is there usually an at board list that comes out at the beginning of the month so I will know if I made it to the selection board?"

p_crabb13

Final Select SNA
So I gave the OR a call the other day. Apparently I should look to go final select in 2 weeks! Apparently since I had already completed the PRT and MEPS, the final select tends to process a little quicker. He said that I should look to ship out around JAN, and at the latest FEB. I've been recieving a gouge from a friend who went last JAN. He said that due to winter, OCS typically becomes less running intensive. So what am I doing? Running like crazy that's what! HA! I've been searching online for workout routines to perform 100 consecutive pushups. Now I need to find a good routine for situps and I think I will be pretty desently set.