• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nov-Dec 2015 Rolling SWO Board

banjosquirrel

The quota is just a goal for the NRD, they can still submit packages even if they have met their quota. Some NRDs like to hold packages and "bank" them to meet their future quotas since they don't get any extra benefits from going over the goal. Most likely you kit didn't even make it to the board and was withheld somewhere in the NRD.
That seems extremely unethical to me. Holding a kit to meet NRD goals while the applicant just has to wait?

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
That seems extremely unethical to me. Holding a kit to meet NRD goals while the applicant just has to wait?

Yeah I completely agree. There have been a number of guys on here who have moved their kits to a different NRD because of running up against the quotas of their local NRD and them refusing to submit the packages until the next FY.

I remember in June and July a bunch of people saying they were told they couldn't submit until October (when the next FY starts as NavyOffRec said).

goldmanharry91

Yeah I completely agree. There have been a number of guys on here who have moved their kits to a different NRD because of running up against the quotas of their local NRD and them refusing to submit the packages until the next FY.

I remember in June and July a bunch of people saying they were told they couldn't submit until October (when the next FY starts as NavyOffRec said).

That happened to me. My package was held up for more or less 4 months for little to no reason. It was only at the start of the FY2015 was my recruiter able to put my package into CIRIMS which makes me think there might have been something going on at NRD Richmond of a similar sort. I guess my recruiter was out of the loop. Not surprised.

FirstGenNavy

I'm seeking advice on the next steps I need to take in order to become a Navy officer.

I'm currently a senior at Georgetown majoring in political science, with a concentration in international relations. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 56 OAR score (2nd take. My first was a 57.) Unfortunately, I was not professionally recommended for surface warfare (my #1 choice) and have yet to hear back about intelligence, though I don't have high hopes considering I wasn't professionally recommended for surface warfare. I also have a plethora of leadership experience on campus, where I was an editor on my school newspaper and very involved in student government. I also run on the club track team.

I will be applying to the next surface warfare and intelligence boards in Feb./March should I not get professionally recommended for intelligence, however, I am concerned that, should I get professionally recommended for neither, I will not be able to pursue my dreams of serving as a Navy officer after graduating.

Any idea of what I should be doing in the time being to ensure that my dreams become a reality? What can I do to improve my application? (I'm not comfortable with taking the OAR for a third time, considering that my score dropped the second time.) Any similar experiences here, with applicants with high OAR/GPAs not being professionally recommended for surface warfare?

Last edited:

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I'm seeking advice on the next steps I need to take in order to become a Navy officer.

I'm currently a senior at Georgetown majoring in political science, with a concentration in international relations. I have a 3.9 GPA and a 56 OAR score (2nd take. My first was a 57.) Unfortunately, I was not professionally recommended for surface warfare (my #1 choice) and have yet to hear back about intelligence, though I don't have high hopes considering I wasn't professionally recommended for intelligence. I also have a plethora of leadership experience on campus, where I was an editor on my school newspaper and very involved in student government. I also run on the club track team.

I will be applying to the next surface warfare and intelligence boards in Feb./March should I not get professionally recommended for intelligence, however, I am concerned that, should I get professionally recommended for neither, I will not be able to pursue my dreams of serving as a Navy officer after graduating.

Any idea of what I should be doing in the time being to ensure that my dreams become a reality? What can I do to improve my application? (I'm not comfortable with taking the OAR for a third time, considering that my score dropped the second time.) Any similar experiences here, with applicants with high OAR/GPAs not being professionally recommended for surface warfare?

Do you have any sort of legal or drug use history? Did you need a waiver by any means?

FirstGenNavy

Do you have any sort of legal or drug use history? Did you need a waiver by any means?
I do not have any legal or drug use history, nor did I need to use a waiver. I'd hate for this to be the case but, realistically, I am a Muslim and, considering recent events and narratives, I wouldn't be surprised if the Navy decided not to take a risk with *someone like me.*

Last edited:

Hobblehob

The quota is just a goal for the NRD, they can still submit packages even if they have met their quota. Some NRDs like to hold packages and "bank" them to meet their future quotas since they don't get any extra benefits from going over the goal. Most likely you kit didn't even make it to the board and was withheld somewhere in the NRD.
Oh well that seems kinda shady. I guess Ill just play the ole sit and wait game for a bit longer.

Matthew10

I do not have any legal or drug use history, nor did I need to use a waiver. I'd hate for this to be the case but, realistically, I am a Muslim and, considering recent events and narratives, I wouldn't be surprised if the Navy decided not to take a risk with *someone like me.*

I'm not sure what the politics consist of in the Navy but that's not a good reason to not select a candidate. If your ultimate goal is to be an officer maybe try going enlisted first. Your young and from what iv seen SWO panels like prior enlisted. Although not always, iv seen a lot get selected. If you get in as a prior enlisted sailor for a few years it could boost your package later on. It's worth a shot, if not just try and get a solid job outside the military that could boost your package and reapply.

exNavyOffRec

I'm not sure what the politics consist of in the Navy but that's not a good reason to not select a candidate. If your ultimate goal is to be an officer maybe try going enlisted first. Your young and from what iv seen SWO panels like prior enlisted. Although not always, iv seen a lot get selected. If you get in as a prior enlisted sailor for a few years it could boost your package later on. It's worth a shot, if not just try and get a solid job outside the military that could boost your package and reapply.

Going enlisted when you qualify and want to be an officer is a bad idea, many more hoops to jump through as enlisted and overall the selection rate is lower for those coming from enlisted.

Matthew10

Going enlisted when you qualify and want to be an officer is a bad idea, many more hoops to jump through as enlisted and overall the selection rate is lower for those coming from enlisted.

Really? I figured it would be the other way around. For me being enlisted has developed my character and has helped me distinguish the good and bad traits of a good leader. And since he was straight outta college I figured it would be beneficial to try that.

exNavyOffRec

Really? I figured it would be the other way around. For me being enlisted has developed my character and has helped me distinguish the good and bad traits of a good leader. And since he was straight outta college I figured it would be beneficial to try that.

nope, as a civilian you have degree, GPA, and LOR's for the main parts, the enlisted applicant have all those parts, plus evaluations, plus interviews, plus warfare qualification, some items to obtain or get together could take up to 2 years after getting into the USN.

There are some people that could benefit from enlisted time, but those are few, in most cases if you aren't a good candidate now being enlisted won't help since the main thing that is looked at is GPA and degree.

FirstGenNavy

Any recommendations for applicants, such as myself, with high OAR scores/GPAs not being professionally recommended for surface warfare yet planning to apply for the next board? Should we consider applying from a different district? Re-ranking our designators? Applying to just surface warfare?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Any recommendations for applicants, such as myself, with high OAR scores/GPAs not being professionally recommended for surface warfare yet planning to apply for the next board? Should we consider applying from a different district? Re-ranking our designators? Applying to just surface warfare?

It doesn't matter applying with another NRD or if SWO is your first and or only choice.