• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NOTAM Definition Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Outrage is over the top. I wouldn’t say outrage. But it is pretty bothersome. I don’t think you should be kept up at night by this (we certainly aren’t), but you really aren’t the least bit bothered that this is where society is? If this were one incident, it could be laughed away. But to have the general of society at large to revamp the language, walk on eggshells with every word spoken to avoid offense, to try to satisfy every group of people, no matter how small, is pretty outrageous, and is worrisome when it distracts from other priorities. Before you go saying that women aren’t a small group, I assure you that anywhere between 0 and 1 women are offended by the term “airmen.”

Again, you shouldn’t be foaming at the mouth, but you should at least be empathetic to the idea that a hypersensitive society will rightfully lead to concern by others.

Importantly, I don’t think every example of rewording is bad; legitimate examples of actual offensive language should be addressed. But we’re not seeing that anymore. It’s gone way off the deep end, and we’re not weird to be bothered by how far it’s gone.
You make great points. I guess I see the people that get worked up about making the changes not contributing much if they weren’t spending their time on coming up with the changes and those that get worked up by being offended by the changes in the same light. All in all, is productiveness or society harmed by the change? There are plenty of things to be passionate about. For me, this isn’t one of them- one way or the other.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
You make great points. I guess I see the people that get worked up about making the changes not contributing much if they weren’t spending their time on coming up with the changes and those that get worked up by being offended by the changes in the same light. All in all, is productiveness or society harmed by the change? There are plenty of things to be passionate about. For me, this isn’t one of them- one way or the other.
Yet here you are, claiming people are worked up, offended, outraged. Seems like strange behavior for someone who doesn’t care. You could have made jokes about it, which is all this thread was until you fell on it like a wet blanket.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yet here you are, claiming people are worked up, offended, outraged. Seems like strange behavior for someone who doesn’t care. You could have made jokes about it, which is all this thread was until you fell on it like a wet blanket.
I said it was hilarious. I enjoy things that are funny.

red_stang65

pilot
Interestingly, in 2015, the FAA recommended Helicopter Air Ambulance companies to not use the word “mission” when referring to flight operations:

“(2) Management should discourage the use of the term “mission” to describe flight assignments in operator manuals, training, and risk analysis programs. The emphasis should be on providing air transportation rather than completing a “mission.” The mission concept has been derived from military tactical or combat aviation policies that factor in “acceptable losses,” and may affect the normal commercial civil air transportation go/no-go decision making process.”

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Post #16 above. How about, can someone articulate a legitimate upside?
Some women find it degrading. Removing that as a barrier to workplace inclusivity, even it it seems silly to you, makes for a better workplace experience for a greater number of people.

SlickAg

pilot
I must’ve missed the part where the definition of the word “airman” says “has to be a dude”.

Maybe if you promote the idea of calling female 1310s “Naval Aviatrixes” instead of “Naval Aviators” you could still have a shot at flag. Let me know if you use it, because otherwise it’s going in my next Fitrep.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You actually think this?
I encourage you to read about the recent NASA decision to officially change the phrase “manned space flight” to “crewed space flight” to hear what some of the women astronauts had to say about it.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I must’ve missed the part where the definition of the word “airman” says “has to be a dude”.

Maybe if you promote the idea of calling female 1310s “Naval Aviatrixes” instead of “Naval Aviators” you could still have a shot at flag. Let me know if you use it, because otherwise it’s going in my next Fitrep.

Naval Aviatx

SlickAg

pilot
Next logical step: cancel Neil Armstrong on account of his misogynistic words on the lunar surface (and almost every other early astronaut for all of the horrible things they did both on and off duty). Talk about fraud, waste, and abuse.

How could today’s astronauts feel comfortable being called the same name as them? Truly sickening. See my below post for my contribution to righting this terrible historical wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.