• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Not the end of the CENTCOM CVN rotation?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Realistically, the Navy should switch from on-prem systems to thin clients that log into cloud VMs in a mix of both AWS and Azure IL5 regions around the country. Way more efficient upkeep costs and faster compute and storage than 5+ year old machines. Patching and deployments would be a breeze.

You would think so but I have plenty of experience with thin clients and the ones we use suck, not quite as bad as the 'community' NMCI machines at the NOSC but they can't do the job as needed. Does that have to do with the way the government set them up? Sure, but there is good reason that if your job is important enough you almost never have a thin client.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
You would think so but I have plenty of experience with thin clients and the ones we use suck, not quite as bad as the 'community' NMCI machines at the NOSC but they can't do the job as needed. Does that have to do with the way the government set them up? Sure, but there is good reason that if your job is important enough you almost never have a thin client.
Question (for anyone): for the majority of the stuff that the majority of sailors use NMCI to do, that is admin stuff that isn't overly sensitive like email, GMT, personnel records, the common theme for these tasks is logging in to a secure website. What is fundamentally wrong with using a thin client for that? Why does every NMCI machine, every single time you login, have to load a big, clumsy, stupid personal profile so that you can... do secure web browsing? It's like driving a Canyonero when you have a five mile commute through easy traffic, and the Canyonero is up-armored because the CHYCAP cyber hackers might try to attack you.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
^ bingo

This is for your basic everyday admin. Specialized computing will still be special. Cloud based work stations are just a fix to the 5+ year old machines in the dusty corner cube that IT2 hasn’t updated or patched bc he has more pressing priorities. This doesn’t change computing at sea, simulators, heavy design or engineering CPUs, etc.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Question (for anyone): for the majority of the stuff that the majority of sailors use NMCI to do, that is admin stuff that isn't overly sensitive like email, GMT, personnel records, the common theme for these tasks is logging in to a secure website. What is fundamentally wrong with using a thin client for that? Why does every NMCI machine, every single time you login, have to load a big, clumsy, stupid personal profile so that you can... do secure web browsing? It's like driving a Canyonero when you have a five mile commute through easy traffic, and the Canyonero is up-armored because the CHYCAP cyber hackers might try to attack you.

In the real world, sure. But the Navy has demonstrated it has neither the capacity or capability to do that yet, nor has much of the government mainly for the reasons outlined by @nittany03.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
In the real world, sure. But the Navy has demonstrated it has neither the capacity or capability to do that yet, nor has much of the government mainly for the reasons outlined by @nittany03.
Actually, the Navy and others in DoD do use AWS today - across all levels of classification. Just only certain, special programs and organizations, for now. Google C2S. It can happen for general use NMCI, too, all it takes is OPNAV to put their mind to it and fund it.

Now, there are con’s to this approach. Once you put all your shit in the cloud, you have to pay out the keester to get it out and/or migrate it to a rival cloud vendor. And you have to either forecast your reserved stances accurately or pay higher rates for on-deman instances. It’s not all roses.

That said, it does solve the “I am gonna turn in my wings like Cougar and go to the airlines if this dang computer doesn’t let me log on and finish my NSIPS/ BOL/ whatever in the next 30 minutes” problem that was identified earlier in this thread.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Why does every NMCI machine, every single time you login, have to load a big, clumsy, stupid personal profile so that you can... do secure web browsing?
Old school computing paradigms and stodgy DON execs / flags.

Flank Speed is a big part of USN’s IT modernization effort, but only a part - e.g., there are ~40 legacy pay and personnel management applications that are challenging to migrate.

(There was a failed early 2000s joint pay/personnel management modernization program that the Army picked up and ran with, and is now rolling it out to active duty. It provides for true self service (not NSIPS-style), takes those 40-odd applications down to 4, and integrates active/reserve pay programs.

it also will end up costing 0.5B when all is said and done, which is its own reason for slow-rolling modernization.)

anyway. NMCI works much as it did when it rolled out in the 2000s which is 90s era concepts of share drives, single-user editing, custom software, etc.

Put another way, NMCI and NAVFIT98A share a great deal of architectural underpinnings.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, the Navy and others in DoD do use AWS today - across all levels of classification. Just only certain, special programs and organizations, for now. Google C2S. It can happen for general use NMCI, too, all it takes is OPNAV to put their mind to it and fund it.

"All it takes..." belongs in the quote hall of fame along with "Watch this shit" and "In my experience". If it only were that simple, or had been done 15-ish years ago.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"All it takes..." belongs in the quote hall of fame along with "Watch this shit" and "In my experience". If it only were that simple, or had been done 15-ish years ago.
I got a good laugh at that too. The naïveté is adorable. Someone should assign him to do a “bring your kid to work” session at OPNAV to see how budgets and the POM process works.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Naïveté, sure, but I wish more people would question the byzantine system of self-licking ice cream cones that we've created that feeds so many people sucking off the government teat in return for mediocrity.

The Vogons could probably learn a thing or two from the Pentagon.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Naïveté, sure, but I wish more people would question the byzantine system of self-licking ice cream cones that we've created that feeds so many people sucking off the government teat in return for mediocrity.

Or perhaps if more people took the time to understand it they'd know how to use it and could then effectively put the system to work. Instead people would rather rage against the machine and decry it for being bizantine or spend all their time trying to work around the process when it in fact follows the same program management philosophy that is used worldwide by many effective organizations.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Yeah, I actually do know how the approps, budget, and POM process work. It can be fast and direct, if the willpower exists. Case in point: COVID vaccines, one year ago versus today.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Questioning is great, but stating what may be technically possible, then proclaiming that some Big Navy decision maker just has to snap their fingers to make it so, is laughably naïve.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I actually do know how the approps, budget, and POM process work. It can be fast and direct, if the willpower exists. Case in point: COVID vaccines, one year ago versus today.
This is a preposterous statement. What are you even talking about? ?