• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Not the end of the CENTCOM CVN rotation?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What are the top 10?
I’d have to ruminate on that to give you a serious fleshed out answer, but what comes to mind immediately are a lack of resources… FMC airplanes, flight hours, money for parts, manning, training against a 1980s level IADS at Fallon, an A/A stick that paces our adversary capabilities, and a capable ASuW weapon. Those are all serious distractions. GMT isn’t even on the radar.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I’d have to ruminate on that to give you a serious fleshed out answer, but what comes to mind immediately are a lack of resources… FMC airplanes, flight hours, money for parts, manning, training against a 1980s level IADS at Fallon, an A/A stick that paces our adversary capabilities, and a capable ASuW weapon. Those are all serious distractions. GMT isn’t even on the radar.

Those are problems that detract from our ability to do our job well, not items that distract us from the job in the first place. That’s an important distinction.

As far as distractions are concerned, yes GMT is certainly in the top 10.

SteveHolt!!!

pilot
I honestly have never understood this opinion. GMT is an annoying blip that pulls me away from real work for at most a few hours a year. Half of it can be left running in the background while I do real work. Being a distraction would require to me apply any brainpower at all to it.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
I thought it would be along the lines of reporting the same things regarding aircraft status, readiness, and OPSUMs in duplicate or triplicate due to reporting to 2-3 bosses on the same echelon who want reports in their format. Or that those reports should be automated—because they are in SHARP and OOMA, but we love to export or transcribe that reporting into excel and ppt. Or that anything but the most formal and ceremonial documents are routed by hand on paper and signed with ink. Or chopping messages which are really just glorified emails with obscure references to other messages instead of attachments. Or “of the year” awards. Or awards in general. The battle fucking E. CUBs. Syncs. Most of block 41 or 43.
There’s 10.

Python

pilot
Contributor
I honestly have never understood this opinion. GMT is an annoying blip that pulls me away from real work for at most a few hours a year. Half of it can be left running in the background while I do real work. Being a distraction would require to me apply any brainpower at all to it.

I don’t rank it highly in the top ten at all. But it certainly is a distraction in the aggregate, to include the in-person GMT, not just the computers. Definitely closer to 9-10 in the top ten IMO.

I’d certainly put anything ground job related, collateral duty related, watch standing related, Christmas party planning related, etc, as the higher ranking ones.

robav8r

None
Contributor
I think the “annoying/distraction” part referred to is the leadership engagement requirement to make sure you’re command is 100% complete.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Those are problems that detract from our ability to do our job well, not items that distract us from the job in the first place. That’s an important distinction.

Disagree.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I thought it would be along the lines of reporting the same things regarding aircraft status, readiness, and OPSUMs in duplicate or triplicate due to reporting to 2-3 bosses on the same echelon who want reports in their format. Or that those reports should be automated—because they are in SHARP and OOMA, but we love to export or transcribe that reporting into excel and ppt. Or that anything but the most formal and ceremonial documents are routed by hand on paper and signed with ink. Or chopping messages which are really just glorified emails with obscure references to other messages instead of attachments. Or “of the year” awards. Or awards in general. The battle fucking E. CUBs. Syncs. Most of block 41 or 43.
There’s 10.
I’d agree with most of those too.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
Formatting of .ppt slides…not the content, just the layout. If I hear “these are just happy to glad changes” I know it’s someone reliving their staff officer glory days through my slides…

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Until a few months ago at my command, I would place in the Top Three items the lack of functioning computers for squadron access. Everything we do besides fly and sim relies on basic computing functions, and the computers in our workspace would previously take upwards of 20 minutes to get from CAC pin to Desktop (and another 15 or so before functions would respond without freezing the computers).

The closest I've come to saying "Fuck it" and committing to leaving the Navy at MSR was the mornings I'd wait for these things to log on. Aside from the physically/mentally enraging experience of waiting on these computers, the understanding that leadership/resource controllers aware of the issue didn't find it to be a big enough deal to worry about (because, I spitefully imagined to myself, they had JOs to do all that work on the peasant machines for them) was indicative of a huge SA gap that I didn't want to bear the brunt of.

But then the Wing upgraded our computers, and for the first time in my Navy career I actually enjoy getting work done at my desk instead of coming close to Office Spaceing my monitor and leaving the building at 11:00 a.m.

Just had someone from NAWDC log onto my new NIPR/SIPR stations and his jaw about dropped at the speed (which is a function solely attributable to the switch from HDD to solid-state drives, as they can withstand the resource gangbang incurred at login by McAfee and Tanium).

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
There’s 10.
Please reformat this in 69 column format. Do you even carriage return, bro?

There's a lot of variability in the airline world with IT. Some places have really slick internal processes, like putting in your password/pin code in the company proprietary software is legally affirming that you're fit for duty, day to day flying paperwork minutia (planning, maintenance, weather, w&b, etc.) being software driven and the apps actually work, software updates actually work, if you have to fill out a report for something that happened then that process also just works...

On the other hand, some places still print reams of paper the old way (you can hear the printer howling away under the gate agent's desk at the jetbridge, hey, at least the legacy hardware is bought and paid for), different passwords for different functions of your job, scheduling and pay have friction points.

The grass isn't always greener and it isn't even the same shade of green, depending on where you go, but I really hope the mil world staff weenie culture is moving past the USMTF~ish format/MS WordPad-compatible/fill-in-the-blank-and-email-it-back-to-me powerpoint mindsets.

SORTS reporting and the TRIMS program was halfway there, twenty years ago, though in a close but no cigar sense. You'd click on all the menu options in TRIMS and it would spit out a carefully formatted message. The gonkulator other end would supposedly take that message and automatically update their database, from which the TYCOM could generate reports at will and to their heart's content. Sounds great except that everybody knew there was often manual intervention required in that automated step of the gonkulator accepting the message, and there were a few full time guys unscrewing all that (we met the guy for our T/M/S during workups, seemingly important billet but I suspect it wasn't career enhancing for him). I'm afraid to ask how it works nowadays.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Until a few months ago at my command, I would place in the Top Three items the lack of functioning computers for squadron access. Everything we do besides fly and sim relies on basic computing functions, and the computers in our workspace would previously take upwards of 20 minutes to get from CAC pin to Desktop (and another 15 or so before functions would respond without freezing the computers).

The closest I've come to saying "Fuck it" and committing to leaving the Navy at MSR was the mornings I'd wait for these things to log on. Aside from the physically/mentally enraging experience of waiting on these computers, the understanding that leadership/resource controllers aware of the issue didn't find it to be a big enough deal to worry about (because, I spitefully imagined to myself, they had JOs to do all that work on the peasant machines for them) was indicative of a huge SA gap that I didn't want to bear the brunt of.

But then the Wing upgraded our computers, and for the first time in my Navy career I actually enjoy getting work done at my desk instead of coming close to Office Spaceing my monitor and leaving the building at 11:00 a.m.

Just had someone from NAWDC log onto my new NIPR/SIPR stations and his jaw about dropped at the speed (which is a function solely attributable to the switch from HDD to solid-state drives, as they can withstand the resource gangbang incurred at login by McAfee and Tanium).
Your wing got you SSDs? That's been my pipe dream for the past 2+ years. Our squadron is expensive enough as it is with our travel needs that I doubt our wing would ever try to swing that for us, but I'd appreciate any details on how you guys were able to make it happen. I once had to print out a single sheet on my way to an ADSEP board, but 45 minutes was not enough time to start up, log in, and open a Word document, so I showed up late and empty-handed. Shitty computers is actually all three of my Top 3 right now.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know there are NMCI horror stories out there, but I've never experienced anything like these 20 minute boot up times. Wonder whether that's a function of being in a fleet concentration area.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Realistically, the Navy should switch from on-prem systems to thin clients that log into cloud VMs in a mix of both AWS and Azure IL5 regions around the country. Way more efficient upkeep costs and faster compute and storage than 5+ year old machines. Patching and deployments would be a breeze.