• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NOSC Shooting

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a point of reference, training for the armed airline pilot program ( a narrowly focused mission) is 6 days working 10 hour days. The airline pilot unions and various industry security committees tried very hard to make it as short as possible ($$$). The firearms only portion of most LE academies is 50-75 hours min.

exNavyOffRec

Looks like the Governor of Mississippi decided ahead of the curve.............for good or ill.
http://www.wlox.com/story/29641855/...open-with-armed-recruiters?clienttype=generic

you mean like these... cut and pasted for your entertainment.

Daniel Fraser ·
Works at Retired Boilermaker
AMERICA NEEDS TO WATCH WHO THEY PUT GUNS OWN, BECAUSE THE SERPENT IS AMONG US, & IS TRYING TO DESTROY THE BODY OF CHRIST, THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN RELIGIOUS PEOPLE & CHRISTIAN PEOPLE...
Like · Reply · 2 hrs

Daniel Fraser ·
Works at Retired Boilermaker
ROBIN WILLIAMS, I BET U NEVER THOUGHT THIS COUNTRY WOULD HAVE A MUSLIM PRESIDENT, DID YOU ??? )( IF THEY ARE AMERICANS, & TRAINED, THEY SHOULD HAVE GUNS.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
you mean like these... cut and pasted for your entertainment.
82537575.jpg

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
When I was in the Navy, I qualified ONCE with a 45. I never owned my own handgun. About 8 years later flying missions off the coast and inland to western Africa I was asked if I had qualified with a 45. I said, "Yes." They said, "Here ya go," and handed me a weapon to fly with. At that time I was as equally likely to shoot my own foot off as to hit the enemy.

Now, in the Army National Guard, I requalify every year with multiple weapons. I have deployed and carried everyday on deployments. I have a CCL and own and practice with many of my own weapons.

In my early years in the Navy I would have no business carrying a weapon everyday at work without a significant amount of training. Now, I feel much more qualified, although I would love more training. I am legally allowed to conceal carry at work now as a full time FLARNG member. I believe somewhere between my younger years and lesser experience and my current experience lies the minimum threshold for responsibly carrying a weapon as a military member. There are quit a few more qualified than I am. We have current and former law enforcement members in our unit. But, there are some that it would scare the hell out of me to see printing a weapon at work.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone else see this? It is making the rounds after Allen West posted about it and it is pissing off a lot of internet folks, albeit without any official confirmation. I have serious doubts it would happen but I suppose it is possible, I just don't see the Navy willing to endure the massive backlash internally, from the public and from Congress.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is that what Allen West is now? A columnist? Even odds this is just click-bait.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anyone else see this? It is making the rounds after Allen West posted about it and it is pissing off a lot of internet folks, albeit without any official confirmation. I have serious doubts it would happen but I suppose it is possible, I just don't see the Navy willing to endure the massive backlash internally, from the public and from Congress.
Agree. A little counseling by the Chain of Command would seem fitting. Quite, private, short half life. I suppose the Navy would have preferred he didn't feel a moral obligation to do what he could knowing there would be some consequence. There was a time in our Navy when officers did things that were afoul of the regs to get things done a bit more efficient, develop tactics a bit more effective, make equipment a little safer, and our people happier, more satisfied and more proud. Officers then took the added risk willfully assuming it was part of their duty. When caught they got a wink or a hand slap or some other punishment that their careers would survive because they were respected by their seniors for taking a bullet for their mission or people.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I'm going to hold out for additional sources - Allen West got a text message? Remember that JAGs recommend, commanders decide. I suspect JAGs looked into the case, because that's their job, determined that there were in fact violations of policy and submitted their report. Now a decision will rest with with someone much further up the chain of command WRT whether or not to act on the JAG's recommendation. Could be way off, but that's my hunch.

exNavyOffRec

Here is good article summarizing the kerfluffle and some of the Navy's possible options. If I had to guess, he might end up with a non-punitive letter of caution that has little to no impact on his career (maybe even a positive).

If the USN takes any action against him it will be a big PR nightmare for the USN and the DOD, I believe the best way to avoid the issue is to tell him "we aren't going to punish you, but you aren't getting recognized for your actions"