• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

North Korean Rocket Launched

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Close up of the launch. Nothing looks unusual to me.

Sally%20Launching%20Rocket%20in%20Loveland.jpg

yodaears

pilot
Trying to determine what North Korea really wants is like trying to make sense of a drunken stripper talking about true love. You can see her lips moving, but you better not believe a word of it because as soon as you drop your guard, the bitch is going to be off with your wallet.

You have personal experience with this? Sure sounds like it. Sounds like a great thread jack so spill it.

das

Contributor

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Chinese, I get: they don't want to push NK because they don't want a war or a chaotic, collapsed state and hordes of refugees on their border. I'm not sure I know why Russia's fighting this. Because they're Russians and being contrary bastards is in their basic nature?

exhelodrvr

pilot
The Chinese, I get: they don't want to push NK because they don't want a war or a chaotic, collapsed state and hordes of refugees on their border. I'm not sure I know why Russia's fighting this. Because they're Russians and being contrary bastards is in their basic nature?

They are looking to reassert themselves.

das

Contributor

The Chinese have multiple motivations...they don't want an unstable North Korea any more than the US does. However, China and Russia share a motivation to ideologically oppose US interests. Combined with the economic crisis and current US military obligations, this is yet another opportunity to not allow the US to assert itself...similar to China and Russia both floating the "alternative reserve currency" proposals before the G-20.

It's too bad that China and Russia don't realize that this isn't just about the US and UN, and the rest of the world doesn't find North Korea's actions very amusing.

Bevo16

pilot
I'm not sure I know why Russia's fighting this. Because they're Russians and being contrary bastards is in their basic nature?

Your first guess is probably pretty accurate. Don't make the mistake of thinking that these guys are our friends. They never have been and never will be. They have no reason to even act like it now. It's pretty obvious that they smell weakness.

I wonder what President Obama thinks of his chances of talking the Russians into jumping on his "nuke free world" plan? Maybe he should make some campaign stops in Moscow?

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
Your first guess is probably pretty accurate. Don't make the mistake of thinking that these guys are our friends. They never have been and never will be. They have no reason to even act like it now. It's pretty obvious that they smell weakness.

I wonder what President Obama thinks of his chances of talking the Russians into jumping on his "nuke free world" plan? Maybe he should make some campaign stops in Moscow?
I read something on CNN this week that mentioned that Russia was in accord with Obama's nuke disarmament plan. (Often enough those little CNN blurbs turn out to have grounds in a sort of truth.)

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I read something on CNN this week that mentioned that Russia was in accord with Obama's nuke disarmament plan. (Often enough those little CNN blurbs turn out to have grounds in a sort of truth.)

The agreement is to come up with a new Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty (START) by the end of the year, when the old one runs out. It is generally a good thing, from a lot of perspectives, but it is no disarmament plan by any means.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/01/washington/01arms.html?ref=global-home

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I wonder if there will be any attempt to try and recover the wreckage.

It probably would not be feasible or useful. Unless they are specifically designed and built to be recovered there is usually not many big pieces of a rocket/missile left after a launch, especially after it hits the water and particularly after a failure.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Back after a "good weekend" ... and I've scanned most of these posts that essentially say the same thing ... :)

But: does ANYONE think mebbe "we" let it go downrange --- just to see how much the NK's know about missiles/rockets ???