• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

North Korean Rocket Launched

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
The VQ bubba's gotta be loving this...well, time to watch the UN talk really stern at North Korea...and nothing will be done...

Somebody needs to get China to shorten the leash on NK...

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The VQ bubba's gotta be loving this...well, time to watch the UN talk really stern at North Korea...and nothing will be done...

Somebody needs to get China to shorten the leash on NK...

I'd more curious to see how President Obama reacts to this. This is perhaps the first time someone has tried to push his buttons.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd more curious to see how President Obama reacts to this. This is perhaps the first time someone has tried to push his buttons.

There will be statements, probably some more sanctions and maybe some kind of a UN resolution. So in reality, little. But that is the almost the exact same thing that the previous administration did the last time North Korea attempted to launch a rocket. What else can we do?

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
There will be statements, probably some more sanctions and maybe some kind of a UN resolution. So in reality, little. But that is the almost the exact same thing that the previous administration did the last time North Korea attempted to launch a rocket. What else can we do?

Gotta agree with Flash on this one (ouch...my brain hurts)...not much we can do, especially since China really holds the controls on this one and they have no reason to stop NK...basically a media pissing match ended by Mr. Jong-il telling the world to fuck off (diplomatically, of course)

NK is much like Cuba; they get starved out, the residents try to leave, they are pissed at America because that is all they know even as their leadership is the true source of their problems, and one/several of the big communist countries keeps them on life support to keep the radical faction of their parties satisfied (even the Reds have whack-job fundamentalists, just like us Republicans)

Lucky for us we have some top-notch undercover agents working for us in country...

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
So our Airborne Laser didn't blast it on the launch pad evidently.....

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
I'm just impressed that it apparently worked this time.

das

Contributor
I'm just impressed that it apparently worked this time.

If by "worked" one means "launching, but the second and third stages falling into the ocean, utterly failing to deploy its (alleged) payload", then yes. ;)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If by "worked" one means "launching, but the second and third stages falling into the ocean, utterly failing to deploy its (alleged) payload", then yes. ;)

The NKs say it's up there.

Even if it "failed," the launch may have just been cover for a missile test.

Favorite news quote:

It [state news agency] added that it was transmitting data and the "Song of General Kim Il-sung" and "Song of General Kim Jong-il" - references to the late founder of North Korea and his son, the current leader.

Whackos.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Expect many sternly-worded statements to follow. I never expect much from the UN in the way of action (especially if Russia and China are in opposition, which they are), and I think our new President will get an education in how little he can move the world when it doesn't want to be moved.

What'll be most interesting to watch is what Japan does from here. They seem to be seriously pissed off.

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Now launch the Alert-5 Teleprompter!!! Let the campaigning for president continue...

Lemme guess... Obama will say "aaaah" at least 60 times a minute when not using it... and "Let me be clear" sometime in the first 3 minutes... one could make a good drinking game out of it. What happened to the good ol days where dudes could speak well, and understand and believe what they are saying...

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
What'll be most interesting to watch is what Japan does from here. They seem to be seriously pissed off.

I guess that depends on whether you think "Japanese Defense" is an oxymoron or the biggest lie-thru-the-teeth of the century. :eek:

Personally, I don't understand how they keep half the toys they do with even the loosest of Article IX interpretations. :confused:

That being said, short of "more sanctions and harsh language," what can they do on the more diplomatic end?

das

Contributor
The NKs say it's up there.

Even if it "failed," the launch may have just been cover for a missile test.

Agreed, and sure, North Korea says it's up there, but that doesn't mean much:

Four hours after the launch, North Korea declared it a success. An experimental communications satellite reached outer space in just over nine minutes and is orbiting Earth, the state-run Korean Central News Agency said from Pyongyang.

"The satellite is transmitting the melodies of the immortal revolutionary paeans 'Song of Gen. Kim Il Sung' and 'Song of Gen. Kim Jong Il' as well as measurement data back to Earth," it said, referring to the country's late founder and his son, its current leader.

But the U.S. military said "no object entered orbit." North American Aerospace Defense Command and U.S. Northern Command officials said in a statement that the first stage of the rocket fell into the waters between Korea and Japan, while the two other stages, and its payload, landed in the Pacific Ocean.

Over the next couple of days, it will be remarkably easy for the world community to confirm there is nothing in orbit, even to the point that people who believe the US is "lying" to protect its own interests will be satisfied.

The most reasonable explanation is the one to which you allude; namely, that of cover for a long-range missile launch test. However, it may be that the rocket was actually carrying a satellite payload as well.

Either way, it is a propaganda "victory" for North Korea.