• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

North Korea 'tests new missile'

Status
Not open for further replies.

petescheu

Flash said:
Oh yeah, and the money spent on Missile defense has been well invested so far..... :confused: ....the deployable missiles have yet to get a good hit out of the only 2 attempted tests (the ones prior were R&D systems), or even get off the pad during a test :eek: .

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/12/national/main666433.shtml

$10 billion a year is a lot for a few duds.

Flash said:
And hitting a missile going hundreds of miles an hour with another missile going just as fast is easy...? Of course it's going to take awhile to get it right.

ocstwentyone

ENS, SC, USN
Brett327 said:
Flash, I do believe you're batting a smidgen left of center lately, no? ;)

Brett

The misile defense debate goes beyond political lines. Point is that that MIRVs made the possibility of a functional ABM system extremely small. I like the concept and all, but the Patriots don't even work with consistency. Plus, (and you guys can rail me for this one) building a working ABM system would just promote further development of offensive weapons by other nations. Yes, missile defense is just a continuation of the arms race, which is the last thing that we need, IMHO. That's why we signed the darn ABM treaty to begin with. Too bad Bush didn't renew when it ran out in 2001. At least he has his heart in the right place...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Flash, I do believe you're batting a smidgen left of center lately, no? ;)

Brett

Lets just say I have dealt with these things in my job and have dealt with some MDA folks. Did not come away with a good impression on both counts.

And hitting a missile going hundreds of miles an hour with another missile going just as fast is easy...? Of course it's going to take awhile to get it right.

I never said it was easy, it is basically the equivilant of trying to hit a bullet with another bullet. But after 20 years, a bunch of tests and quite a few billion dollars, I would expect some concrete results. As for it being a total failure, at least the Navy part works:

http://www.jhuapl.edu/newscenter/pressreleases/2005/050224.htm

Lastly, if we build 100 interceptors to destroy 20 missiles, what prevents our enemies from building 50 ICBM's? or 100? What you have is an arms race on your hands, which is why the ABM treaty was signed, which OCS pointed out already.

Status
Not open for further replies.