• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

North Korea 'tests new missile'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
ChuckMK23 said:
Honestly if there was ever a country to go to war with and to do it unilaterally and with complete unpredicated surprise - i.e. not wait for them to do something stupid - North Korea would be it.

Doesn't everyone also think that the world community would breath a huge sigh of relief when North Korea is defeated and the capital/industrial machine of south Korea is allowed to march North?

I think the South Koreans would have a major problem with it. As soon as the first bomb went off, the DPRK would shell the hell out of the South Koreans, storm across the border killing everything in sight, and launch pointy tipped missiles at Japan.

The result would be total chaos in the region, the economy would tank, and millions would die. In the long run, we would clearly win... but its a pretty high price to pay in the short term.

What was left of South Korea could march northward with us... but there wouldn't be very many of them.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
pennst8 said:
I think the South Koreans would have a major problem with it. As soon as the first bomb went off, the DPRK would shell the hell out of the South Koreans, storm across the border killing everything in sight, and launch pointy tipped missiles at Japan.

The result would be total chaos in the region, the economy would tank, and millions would die. In the long run, we would clearly win... but its a pretty high price to pay in the short term.

What was left of South Korea could march northward with us... but there wouldn't be very many of them.
Concur. Conventional warfare vs NK would be messy at best. As for the economy, it took W Germany 10 years to break even after reunification with the East and they didn't fight a war on their soil in the process. The notion that the ROK could just march up and start producing is a little unrealistic.
The bottom line is, what's the rush? I say, let those fvckers continue to starve and wither at the vine while the rest of us enjoy things like electricity, heat in the winter, and ample food supply. Like I said before, they're not going to flinch as long as the US is around, so they can go down in history as the Pacific version of Cuba for all I care.

Good times,

Brett

KBayDog

Brett327 said:
Concur. Conventional warfare vs NK would be messy at best. As for the economy, it took W Germany 10 years to break even after reunification with the East and they didn't fight a war on their soil in the process.

In bringing up the Germanys (Germanies?), I think you may have stumbled across the one thing that would end the Korean War once and for all:

David Hasselhoff dancing in the DMZ in tight leather pants.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The ChiComs control North Korea. Their food, power, economy, everything to the outside world ..... It is not in their best interest for NK to go nuclear. EOD (end-of-discussion) ..... but let's keep it going, it's interesting. There is always the wild card .....

:censored_ ... new AirWarriors happy face ... because I love all of you ....

Time for Tequila and lime juice .....

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
If push comes to shove, China will absolutely not let Kim Il Jong go too far out of line. Two reasons: 1. Whether they like it or not, the US is China's single biggest trading partner, and they realize that their country cannot (CANNOT!) afford to lose that. 2. China wants to be THE regional big kid in Asia, and if they allowed North Korea to step out of line and destabilize the region... Well, it would kind of make them look incompetant, don't you think?

Although, I wouldn't put it past the Chinese government (or even just elements of it's intelligence services or military) to cook something nasty like this up, just so they could play the peacemaker. It's not like other nations haven't done that in the past, either.

I had the opportunity to speak with a high-ranking State Department official a few years ago on this subject, and I like his perspective (off the record, of course): "Personally, I think we owe those bastards a beating, and I say it's time we stop taking their sh!t."

Taking their sh!t, of course, is precisely what the South Koreans have been doing for quite a few years now. Officially, it's known as the "Sunshine Policy", and it basically amounts to South Koreans blowing quite a bit of that sun, right up their neighbor's @ss. North Koreans raid the border/Sea of Japan for women to use as prostitutes, and the South sends them aid. Kim Il Jong wipes w/ the South Korean flag...the South sends them aid. The North shoots a missile into the Sea of Japan, preps all its artillery along the DMZ, and sends an advance force through the tunnels underneath the same? ...You guessed it. How else would one of the poorest nations in the world, where they literally eat their own dead because food is so scarce, get the nuclear know-how? True, they probably got most of it from China. But the South is one of the richest nations in the world, there were a lot of families split up by the Korean War, and the DMZ is mighty porous.

I was stationed in Iwakuni for that last scenario I mentioned (it was a pre-cursor to the august 1998 launch), and let me tell you, being an hour's flight from North Korea while missiles are being lobbed in your general direction is pretty nerve-wracking.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
KBayDog said:
In bringing up the Germanys (Germanies?), I think you may have stumbled across the one thing that would end the Korean War once and for all:

David Hasselhoff dancing in the DMZ in tight leather pants.
KBay, I love you man - in a platonic, hetero type of way, of course. :D

Germans LOVE David Hasselhoff

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Another question for you "smart" guys:

6875.jpg

Today the Iranian Foreign Minister, Kamal Kharrazi, spoke (actually, read his text) to the UN General Assembly ---- IN ENGLISH !!!!! .... now why do you suppose 1/2 of the remaining "Axis of Evil" leadership would do that??? I.E., they think "official pronouncements" in english are demeaning .... and they ALWAYS do these kind of things for a reason ..... anyone .... anyone ..... Beuller???

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Two reasons
1-Garner support from the American left (seems to be working unfortunately)

2-Most of their own people dont understand English and threrefore really dont know what their leadership is doing.

Along the same lines as the Palestinian leadership comdemns terrorism in English only not Arabic.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
Along the same lines as the Palestinian leadership comdemns terrorism in English only not Arabic.

That's because they're two-faced liars. Oh wait, did I say that? Arafat was a terrorist. Oh crap, there goes my turrets.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
How come the ROK gets no restecp?

They have the 3rd largest Army in the world, and expend over twice as much as North Korea on their military ($13 million vs. $5.2 million)?

Go check out the ROK Marines at your next Team Spirit...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
shoo24 said:
Ahh gotta love the Clintons for single handedly compromising national security... At least GW has the balls to build the missile defense system. I think it's more clear now than ever that it is a necessary part of the budget.

Oh yeah, and the money spent on Missile defense has been well invested so far..... :confused: ....the deployable missiles have yet to get a good hit out of the only 2 attempted tests (the ones prior were R&D systems), or even get off the pad during a test :eek: .

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/12/national/main666433.shtml

$10 billion a year is a lot for a few duds.

I had the opportunity to speak with a high-ranking State Department official a few years ago on this subject, and I like his perspective (off the record, of course): "Personally, I think we owe those bastards a beating, and I say it's time we stop taking their sh!t."

I trust most State types as far as I could throw them, especially 'high ranking officials'. I deal with some of them regularly and hey get big ideas on how to use force but rarely have a dose of reality behind it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash said:
Oh yeah, and the money spent on Missile defense has been well invested so far..... :confused: ....the deployable missiles have yet to get a good hit out of the only 2 attempted tests (the ones prior were R&D systems), or even get off the pad during a test :eek: .

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/12/national/main666433.shtml

$10 billion a year is a lot for a few duds.

I trust most State types as far as I could throw them, especially 'high ranking officials'. I deal with some of them regularly and hey get big ideas on how to use force but rarely have a dose of reality behind it.
Flash, I do believe you're batting a smidgen left of center lately, no? ;)

Brett

Status
Not open for further replies.