• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No waiverable OAR

gnikole

Does the Navy 108a Intelligence ever change? I have a bachelors degree in history and masters of research degree in Russian and Eastern European Studies from the University of Glasgow. I am trying to join Naval Intelligence, but I’ve taken the OAR twice and my highest score has been 30 so it’s not waiverable. Any advice (besides enlisted route than officer)?

exNavyOffRec

Yes, in the past they gave a set number for OAR, GPA and other items and there was no waiver at all, they they became a bit flexible, however the lowest I have ever seen them go on an OAR is 35.

Going enlisted will not help, the OAR requirement is still there for enlisted.

gnikole

I have everything else that they ask for the GPA and everything else. So no right? I just half to see if the requirement changes?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great advice from @exNavyOffRec. Speaking of the ASTB, what did you study? How hard did you study? It matters. Head on over to the ASTB sub-forum. Lots of folks before you have successfully navigated the ASTB and there is lots of study advice. If you seriously want to get a great score on the ASTB (OAR), then study your ass off, and retake it. But make sure you are ready for your last (and final) ASTB re-take. Good luck.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Does the Navy 108a Intelligence ever change? I have a bachelors degree in history and masters of research degree in Russian and Eastern European Studies from the University of Glasgow. I am trying to join Naval Intelligence, but I’ve taken the OAR twice and my highest score has been 30 so it’s not waiverable. Any advice (besides enlisted route than officer)?

You’re going to have to improve that score. Use the forum to find OAR study info, perhaps you’re not studying hard or not studying the right things at all.

Renegade One

None
OAR = Officer Aptitude Rating. Maybe you're not quite yet what the Navy's looking for, all of your academic credentials notwithstanding? File this under "tough love". Or disregard...

gnikole

OAR = Officer Aptitude Rating. Maybe you're not quite yet what the Navy's looking for, all of your academic credentials notwithstanding? File this under "tough love". Or disregard...
Thank you. I definitely think this it. I don’t test well, even in college, I have always been a writer/researcher and I think I’ve wanted to join the navy for a long time, but I am just not absorbing the information that I need in order to improve. My second attempt at the OAR I did even worse, but studied harder. I used the mometrix to study. Thank you for the comment.

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
Thank you. I definitely think this it. I don’t test well, even in college, I have always been a writer/researcher and I think I’ve wanted to join the navy for a long time, but I am just not absorbing the information that I need in order to improve. My second attempt at the OAR I did even worse, but studied harder. I used the mometrix to study. Thank you for the comment.
Which sections are you struggling on most? Given your background, I would assume math and mechanical comprehension rather than reading comp no?

gnikole

Yes for those two sections. The understanding of mechanical comprehension, the studying for that was not helpful at all. The book went over newtons laws and other concepts, but I remember one of the questions on the test was “what is the average voltage of a house in the US”?

Average Monke

A primate with internet access
Yes for those two sections. The understanding of mechanical comprehension, the studying for that was not helpful at all. The book went over newtons laws and other concepts, but I remember one of the questions on the test was “what is the average voltage of a house in the US”?
That's an odd ball question. I would strongly recommend not relying on the practice test books to learn/review the topics covered on the test. They will provide you will a basic overview, but they limited in scope and depth. Their greatest value, in my opinion, is the practice test section and the answer explanations.

You can find an entire thread dedicated to the ASTB/OAR here. There are links to the several study guides people have used to achieve very high scores. Khan Academy and The Organic Chemistry Tutor are some of the best resources online. Hiring a tutor is also an option, but really it's just about putting in the work to study.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hire a tutor. Have them teach you what you need to know for the test.