• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No Stars and Stripes Present!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
This is what pisses me off about the whole thing: we have an economy in shambles with no turnaround in sight; we have a broke government that has decided to increase its entitlement spending through the national healthcare bill; we have a government that has taken unprecedented action to give bankrupt CEO's taxpayer money to keep their companies afloat; we have a government that is willing to use taxpayer money to purchase your used cars. Meanwhile, we're trying to afford funding the fighting of two wars, and the solution to the budget pinch from all of the above and then some is "lean manning."

And the most significant issue that some idiot can raise is that the President didn't display the flag in a press conference?!? OMFG, the HERESY! HE MUST BE AN EVIL BLACK COMMUNIST! MAN THE HARPOONS!

Seriously, this is exactly why the public doesn't actually pay attention to the real issues... or which came first?

Stir the pot? I suppose if stirring the pot constitutes getting people pissed off at the idiocy permeating the media and the fact that people actually but it, then sure.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The question is valid, there are rules for what is to be present during any public briefing although I am not knowledgeable as to the rules in the White House, they were set way before any of us were alive. They have been diluted by people ignoring the handovers of said rules and they've been lost in translation to the point that I am sure that certain secretaries and support staff just simply make new rules or make stuff up in order to justify doing something without the proper accoutrements being present and visible. Ask any military officer who has ever served on a White House assignment. Think of it this way: Would you conduct a re-enlistment or oath of office without an American Flag present? These everpresent traditions were brought forth by people of substance and people that were the founding fathers of this Great Nation. If you follow in the footsteps and paths of these men who came before us, who are you to cheapen our vision forward and make it okay to just let something go that once would have been held accountable to a person and the future of their presence and their job (i.e. if you task a sailor/soldier, that their only direct responsibility is to ensure an American Flag is present any time you plan to conduct a Reenlistment or Oath of Office, and he doesn't successfully complete that task, he would be fired, and sent to another unit). My $.02.

In my 20 years, I can safely say that the vast majority of reenlistments I've seen or performed haven't had a flag present. When I reenlisted, it was in the cockpit of a P-3 at altitude. Didn't really have access to a flag. Most of them in the squadron are done in the Ready Room or in Maintenance Control for the wrench-turners and I don't think we have a flag in either place.

Brett

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
In my 20 years, I can safely say that the vast majority of reenlistments I've seen or performed haven't had a flag present. When I reenlisted, it was in the cockpit of a P-3 at altitude. Didn't really have access to a flag. Most of them in the squadron are done in the Ready Room or in Maintenance Control for the wrench-turners and I don't think we have a flag in either place.

Brett

You had a flag on your uniform, didn't you?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I suppose being in the Army, I kind of take the flag on the shoulder for granted.
That's a "relatively" new thing for the Army too. When I was in the Army (1980-83) we didn't wear a flag on our shoulder. It didn't start until Desert Shield.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
That's a "relatively" new thing for the Army too. When I was in the Army (1980-83) we didn't wear a flag on our shoulder. It didn't start until Desert Shield.

Yeah, it started with deployments overseas. Now, it's a requirement for the uniform stateside as well. Although, overseas we typically wear a subdued flag. Not my preference, but oh well.

D

Deleted member 24525

. I don't like Obama, and think he is leading our country to the slaughter with the consent of our congress who
Rocky

LEADING OUR COUNTRY TO SLAUGHTER? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME? He Didn't start these wars, Bro!

The type of "FOG" and bantering about NON-ISSUES is exactly why our country sucks today. People are more worried about stupid partisan bullshit then trying to fix the real problems of this country.

What happened to the officer corps in our military? We should be free thinking renaissance men...not a bunch of partisan, Ignorant Hicks

FlyinRock

Nasty Flyer
You don't think putting our country so far in fucking debt that we'll never recover isn't leading us to the slaughter? Of course he didn't lead us into this current state of affairs in the middle east. Radical muslims did that and will continue to do so. I am doing everything I can to change the complexion of congress at the polls. I did my time on active duty in places like Korea and other parts of the world.

Semper Fi and good luck in Kabul and surrounding areas

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
Nasty Flyer
You don't think putting our country so far in fucking debt that we'll never recover isn't leading us to the slaughter? Of course he didn't lead us into this current state of affairs in the middle east. Radical muslims did that and will continue to do so. I am doing everything I can to change the complexion of congress at the polls. I did my time on active duty in places like Korea and other parts of the world.

Semper Fi and good luck in Kabul and surrounding areas

Our previous four presidents have done little to actually EASE the national debt. President Obama is just continuing the status quo.

hokieav8r

~Bring the Wood!~
None
The regulation in the Army actually states that "traditionally, an American Flag is present for reenlistment." Some of the coolest ones I've seen have been in cockpits and cabins of aircraft, during pyrotechnic displays, during actual firefights in combat and after engagements were over. However, I will say, that there was always an effort to present the colors at the location for the oath. It is NOT regulation, but seems to be strongly encouraged....even in the regulation. I agree, it doesn't have to be present. I would also like to point out, that I made no reference to TV media, I made reference to press conferences and briefings in the White House. I know there are rules that are strictly followed as to what shall be present when the President briefs. It really shouldn't be all that suprising to Officers in the military. Look carefully and make comparisons. The one thing I am sure about is, the president never briefs in the White House without the presence on the stand of the Presidential Seal....etc etc. Again, I am not an expert as to what is necessary or required, but they are rules and deep down you know they do exist. Do they get forgotten or ignored every so often? Yes. I made every effort as a commander to successfully present the colors at the reenlistments I conducted. When I swore into my new agency, I was in front of an American Flag, and that wasn't even at my request. It was briefed as being required. I understand all your points, and do relate the utmost respect to our elected Commander in Chief and President of the United States. I hope this clarifies my point that it isn't TV I was referring to, but rather a set of rules that were set forth in the 1700s that clarified what the image of our #1 Leader would be anytime he was presented in public for anything of an official capacity.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
That's like saying that going 2 miles over the speed limit, then 5 miles over the speed limit, then 8 miles over the speed limit, then 42 miles over the speed limit is just continuing the status quo.

So you're telling me that President Obama has produced 21 times the amount of debt that President Regan did? Uhmm. Yeah.

I stand corrected, apparently President Clinton reduced the national debt?

Okay, this is wikipedia, <sarcasm>I know it's the most trusted source on the planet </sarcasm> It's the first link that came up.

Try it out

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
The idea that our Country's debt is attributable to Presidents is laughable, when by Constitutional design it is Congress that controls spending. I looked at that wiki link, it shows all the Republican Presidents as increasing debt and Democratic Presidents as reducing debt. Knowing the makeup of Congress during those times would be better data.

eas7888

pilot
Contributor
The idea that our Country's debt is attributable to Presidents is laughable, when by Constitutional design it is Congress that controls spending. I looked at that wiki link, it shows all the Republican Presidents as increasing debt and Democratic Presidents as reducing debt. Knowing the makeup of Congress during those times would be better data.

The President is never the sole cause of any of our problems. That's the beauty of the separation of powers. You are right though, congressional make-up would be quite useful. I apologize for not getting that information. I've had my hands full with a newborn, and I've grown quite lazy to other things :)