• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No More DCOIC as of FY20 - ODS Guidance

bluemarlin04

I'm perfectly okay with that scenario, but it would cost the Navy money they don't want to spend so it won't happen.
Same here

On top of that. I don’t think the Navy is going to have any shortage of applicants.

In fact, I think they may even have more applicants since there are prob so many applicants who want to apply but can’t because of the absurd DCO requirements

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
These new 1835s show up to my unit telling me all about how their civilians at the DIA and “this isn’t my first rodeo” or how they’re civilians at “insert random agency” and how they can’t wait to go to a SEAL team. Smh

What do they think they'll be doing on a ST? Being attached to a ST =/= SEAL . You do your desigantor stuff (Admin work probably) and they'll do theirs.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
What do they think they'll be doing on a ST? Being attached to a ST =/= SEAL . You do your desigantor stuff (Admin work probably) and they'll do theirs.
In the case that I witnessed, the sole motivator for the individual was being able to tell people that they deployed with a SEAL Team. Cause after the person got back, their "award" was on their LinkedIn and they had blogged about it already.

To the uninformed, it sounds extraordinary. To the informed, this is not a big deal at all: Reservists from the two NSW Intel Reserve units have been doing this for well over a decade.

Last edited:

bluemarlin04

There are some intel folks doing amazing things with SOF. Some reservists some active duty.

They def don’t advertise and talk all about it though.

Radeon3030

DCO SELECT
Newbie question on this whole DCOIC/ODS transition. I understand DCOIC is going away at the end of the fiscal year, and that it's likely full up until then. Does anyone know if ODS slots are open to Reserve DCO's in FY19? I.e. will I have to wait until sometime in FY20 to attend ODS? Or can I attend ODS this year?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Newbie question on this whole DCOIC/ODS transition. I understand DCOIC is going away at the end of the fiscal year, and that it's likely full up until then. Does anyone know if ODS slots are open to Reserve DCO's in FY19? I.e. will I have to wait until sometime in FY20 to attend ODS? Or can I attend ODS this year?

Pretty sure reservists don’t attend ODS.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

It's a very new change so I won't be surprised if no one here would know such particular nuances. That would be something your OR should know and be able to help you with.

Pretty sure reservists don’t attend ODS.

You may want to recheck that. Starting FY20, DCOs go to ODS. DCOIC won't exist anymore.

bryanteagle6

Radeon
When where you selected and have you commissioned yet?

The quick answer is no, you can not apply for a quota for ODS until FY20

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
ODS for Reservists starts in October 2019 (FY20), so yes, you can attend this calendar year, 2019.

Quotas for Officer Development School are up on CANTRAC and classes are wide open (P-9E-0003), below. You'll notice that starting in October 2019 (FY20) that there are two sets of quotas: one for active and the other for reserve. There are negative quotas (many are waitlisted) available for the remaining DCOIC classes.

Bones

FIrst, I would go to CANTRAC to find out if there are ODS quotas available. I'd imagine that there are going to be some FY19 DCO's (especially if they were selected off September 2018's board) that weren't able to get a DCO quota before the end of FY19. As such, they will be forced to attend ODS in FY20. Whether or not they can do it early in FY19 is a great question for the Training Officer at your NOSC.

Radeon3030

DCO SELECT
Radeon
When where you selected and have you commissioned yet?

The quick answer is no, you can not apply for a quota for ODS until FY20
Selected March 2019 IWC board. Was scheduled to commission later this month.

Looks like it's a moot point for me anyways, as I just heard from my OR today, that my commissioning is being delayed, possibly until FY20 due to shortage of billets. ? Sounds like time to hurry up and keep waiting.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

bryanteagle6

Thats why i asked. Unless they change the program to send new selects straight to ODS with a report date similar to OCS (which i dont think they will), reservist still take about 3 months after commissioning to realistically get a school date. Id say closer to 6 months if you are completely new to the navy and your NOSC is not johnny on the spot!

So, even if you commissioned June 1, you are looking at a school date in September or October (FY20) at the earliest.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
So, even if you commissioned June 1, you are looking at a school date in September or October (FY20) at the earliest.

If I'm not mistaken, anyone selected at a board this year (2019) was selected for FY20. Meaning, they won't be starting a school before FY20 begins. I'll let one of the recruiter confirm/reject this.