• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No More DCOIC as of FY20 - ODS Guidance

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
True, I am, but that really didn't come into play. The mission was open to a lot of different designators; another guy in my unit who was Supply went, also.

I prefaced my comment that it could, and most likely, will vary by designator. My unit had a variety of different designaotrs - HR, SWO, Supply, Aviation. I'm not sure how Intel rolls, but I would imagine once qualified, you could steer yourself into a unique situation.

My buddy (also a SUPPO) just did his AT on a carrier to check-off his final PQS before he could pin for NASO. So it does vary by designator.

AULANI

A we sure about this? Last time I was in Newport I'm pretty sure the OCS students wore roughouts with their Type III's. That was last June.
I graduated from OCS last June. Only the smooth black leather boots were authorized with Type III's.

bryanteagle6

Do reserve unit leaders care about what boots are being worn in type 3?

We are and intel unit
Nearly every officer and chief all wear brown. The only officers that had black were the 2 right off active duty and they arent IWC officers. (Swo, sub) About 40% of the enlisted had black, but most of them are within a year or two out of basic.
There are even multiple ppl wearing unauthorized boots (navy) that they wore while on deployment - Army boots.
CO is an 1825, and XO is an 1835 with mainly NSW time, if that matters.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

OCS folk wear black boots. If I had to guess, everyone in training country wears black boots.

Some people in DCOIC were wearing rough-out coyote boots, but they were authorized.

My unit has probably 90% of the officers wearing brown. Only reason the enlisted is 50/50 is because we let them wear the ones they were issued at basic. Majority of our ppl MOB to joint locations and wear brown there as well as even have to wear Army OCP in theater.
Like i said, its not a big deal, only mild complaint. I would like to try and get ship time at some point even if it is a short cruise or AT time anyway.

I'll be getting some sea time for my quals, but otherwise, it seems to be very difficult to get time underway in the reserve. I've heard of some enlisted IWC types getting some, but I wouldn't know any of the details around that. It's worth keeping a feeler out, you never know what's available. I recently spoke with a reservist who got to go underway on the Ford for trials.

Matthew Hill

AMDO/1525
We have a better shot of two people showing up and not meeting height/weight - but I doubt there will be time to fill the seats. I could drive down or even show and and sit in stand by when the class starts waiting for someone to bottom out the scale...

I went to DCOIC in March and there was a few people that were clearly not meeting standards (BMI). The instructors still allowed them to complete DCOIC.

Matthew Hill

AMDO/1525
Yikes... thanks for the thought bubble. Im sure ill really need to try on those socks..... a lot!

Only mild complaint will be to buy black boots literally just for ODS because we wear coyote everywhere else.

Coyote brown is authorized. No need to buy black boots.

Matthew Hill

AMDO/1525
Just to confirm, you've been to Officer Development School (ODS) recently and they authorize brown books?
Ive also heard you don't even wear the nwu at all, so you don't need boots at all?!

I went to DCOIC in March, not ODS, but the instructors confirmed the same uniform list will be used. We wore NWU's almost the entire time. I did see the ODS classes that went through, and they also wore NWU's.