• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No More DCOIC as of FY20 - ODS Guidance

xmid

pilot
Contributor
@Reservist, you could probably use an extra 3 weeks of grammar training... That might even benefit your civilian job...

And it's spelled etc. not ect.

Reservist

Intelligence Officer
Glad to see you can read between the lines even with my poor grammar - now if we can work on the critical thinking part - you and I might have a real discussion. My guess - is that's not your bag though... Been real... Your profile says instructor - can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want to spend an additional 3 weeks with folks like you in the name of better training...

Hair Warrior

Contributor
@Reservist - tranquilo, amigo.

The switch to ODS is a good thing. Suck it up and make the most of it.

Are you miffed that Big Navy told you one set of expectations then changed the goalposts on you later? Guess what: that’s normal. Get used to it.

You want to be (or already are) an 1835? Half of the current crop of LTJG 1835’s had it worse. They had completed up to 8 months of PQS training before Big Navy told them to cease progress, toss out everything they’d done to date, and attend a newly established course called RNIOBC phase one that’s 5 weeks long instead of the 18 months of drill weekends they’d planned on. Those first 8 months of work were lost, and they had to do a 5 week school on top of it. So you won’t get a ton of sympathy.

You aren’t the first and aren’t the last who will have to semper gumby.

bryanteagle6

has anyone been to ODS or knows how they will integrate it with the reserve ppl coming into the class?! Lets get back to the ODS guidance/transition part of the thread.
I just wish I would have known I could have waited on getting all my uniforms until week 1 at ODS now!!! ha - Less crap to pack!

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
I just wish I would have known I could have waited on getting all my uniforms until week 1 at ODS now!!! ha - Less crap to pack!

Yeah, had you waited you'd at least have something to do during your day at the uniform shop. For those that brought all their uniforms you are just walking around in circles or sitting on the floor for hours (like I did) while everyone else gets squared away. At least you don't have the issue of having to figure out how to get all the uniforms home because you don't have enough bags. We had people shipping items home and/or buying more luggage to transport their uniforms.

I received a community brief this week that just confirmed what we've all been discussing, no more DCOIC.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
For those that brought all their uniforms you are just walking around in circles or sitting on the floor for hours (like I did) while everyone else gets squared away.
Beats getting PT'd while everyone else is getting uniform'd :D

bryanteagle6

Beats getting PT'd while everyone else is getting uniform'd :D

Yikes... thanks for the thought bubble. Im sure ill really need to try on those socks..... a lot!

Only mild complaint will be to buy black boots literally just for ODS because we wear coyote everywhere else.

bryanteagle6

I dont know why. It clearly says on the packing list, black boots only. My guess is they want the black boots for inspections. Maybe it will change next FY with the additions of DCO Reserve to the class?!
Either way, at least ill have them in the unlikely event I ever get to a ship.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dont know why. It clearly says on the packing list, black boots only. My guess is they want the black boots for inspections. Maybe it will change next FY with the additions of DCO Reserve to the class?!
Either way, at least ill have them in the unlikely event I ever get to a ship.

Is there a POC for the school you can contact? I wouldn't be surprised there isn't one knowing the Navy, or that they just haven't updated the uniform list for a year or two...

Either way I would keep the receipt and not wear them if you can get away with it, shouldn't waste money on a uniform item you won't ever use.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Only mild complaint will be to buy black boots literally just for ODS because we wear coyote everywhere else.
OCS folk wear black boots. If I had to guess, everyone in training country wears black boots.

Once you start drilling, you'll be wearing black boots as a Reservist unless your Reserve unit CO authorizes the tan boots. And some gaining commands (the commands that Reserve units support) are pretty strict about the boot color.

For some reason, we could not be like the Marine Corps and have a single pair of f*cking boots.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You'll be wearing black boots as a Reservist unless your Reserve unit CO authorizes the tan boots. And some gaining commands (the commands that Reserve units support) are pretty strict about the boots as well for uniformity sake.

Is this a guac thing? Having gotten away with not having to buy them yet I am serious.

For some reason, we could not be like the Marine Corps and have a single pair of f*cking boots.

Have they not decreed just one color of boot like every other service for their uniforms?

bryanteagle6

My unit has probably 90% of the officers wearing brown. Only reason the enlisted is 50/50 is because we let them wear the ones they were issued at basic. Majority of our ppl MOB to joint locations and wear brown there as well as even have to wear Army OCP in theater.
Like i said, its not a big deal, only mild complaint. I would like to try and get ship time at some point even if it is a short cruise or AT time anyway.