• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more CQs?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
In our military, we have people chafing about the words we use to describe the single most dangerous adversary we face. I feel great about our future.

Unfortunately, I don't see our military leaders doing much more than paying lip service to the Chinese threat. A few years ago, the party line was all about "shifting focus to China", yet all we see are carriers extending indefinitely in the Middle East, because "deterrence".

It's hard to see how the presence of a carrier in the Arabian Sea is moving the needle on the nebulous goal of "deterrence", and even harder to see how we are "focusing on China", but what do I know? I'm just a guy who got out after DH, while my brothers in arms continue to withstand 9-10 month deployments, still in the ME.

Sure seems like we could be using our high value, high-end resources more effectively, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
363ebcd30a7d359f2acee5fb90c50948.jpg

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Unfortunately, I don't see our military leaders doing much more than paying lip service to the Chinese threat. A few years ago, the party line was all about "shifting focus to China", yet all we see are carriers extending indefinitely in the Middle East, because "deterrence".

It's hard to see how the presence of a carrier in the Arabian Sea is moving the needle on the nebulous goal of "deterrence", and even harder to see how we are "focusing on China", but what do I know? I'm just a guy who got out after DH, while my brothers in arms continue to withstand 9-10 month deployments, still in the ME.

Sure seems like we could be using our high value, high-end resources more effectively, that's all I'm saying.
Somewhere I read (either AW or RealClearDefense) an idea to base the new INDOPACOM Fleet in Australia. That to me is an outstanding idea, and would actually go a long way to reshaping our presence in-theater. C7F in Japan, C3F in San Diego, and C1F in Australia.

https://breakingdefense.com/2020/11/departing-navy-secretary-pushes-for-new-pacific-fleet-vs-china/
https://news.usni.org/2020/11/17/se...-new-u-s-1st-fleet-near-indian-pacific-oceans

Darwin makes a ton of geographic sense to the AO, but the city is only 150k population - and any major fleet concentration area will need logistics, services, housing, and local national service personnel (e.g. engineering, IT, shipbuilding, etc.) to make it robust. Brisbane (2M pop) is the closest to Hawaii geographically, but at that point you might as well put it in Sydney, right? Decisions, decisions...

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Folks love their cheap Chinese stuff and do not give two shits about Taiwan or the Spratlys.

using “CHICOM” or “CCP” unironically is a shibboleth, identifying that person as 1) Q-adjacent 2) unserious about national security

BigRed389

None
Somewhere I read (either AW or RealClearDefense) an idea to base the new INDOPACOM Fleet in Australia. That to me is an outstanding idea, and would actually go a long way to reshaping our presence in-theater. C7F in Japan, C3F in San Diego, and C1F in Australia.

https://breakingdefense.com/2020/11/departing-navy-secretary-pushes-for-new-pacific-fleet-vs-china/
https://news.usni.org/2020/11/17/se...-new-u-s-1st-fleet-near-indian-pacific-oceans

Darwin makes a ton of geographic sense to the AO, but the city is only 150k population - and any major fleet concentration area will need logistics, services, housing, and local national service personnel (e.g. engineering, IT, shipbuilding, etc.) to make it robust. Brisbane (2M pop) is the closest to Hawaii geographically, but at that point you might as well put it in Sydney, right? Decisions, decisions...

There are a lot of pros and cons to any location in AUS. None of them are perfect, either from a sailor QOL perspective, Fleet costs, or support infrastructure. Problem gets even harder if this Fleet is expected to do what C7F does and actually own forward deployed/based forces. Anywhere we end up is going to require significant investment from us (or AUS....but good luck with that) to make it suitable for us.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Folks love their cheap Chinese stuff and do not give two shits about Taiwan or the Spratlys.

using “CHICOM” or “CCP” unironically is a shibboleth, identifying that person as 1) Q-adjacent 2) unserious about national security

Interesting. Thanks for adding Shibboleth to my vocabulary, by the way. Hadn’t heard that one before.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
The Chinese regime are most certainly not Communists. They are totalitarian despotic hyper-capitalists. They drive more McLarens and Rolls Royces than we do - but in order to get one over there, you have to suck up to the regime and do their bidding.