• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more contact lense waivers?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I was in the program until it was cancelled. My oso said that if you already had signed the contract then you were grandfathered, otherwise you are SOL. Good news is if you are close they will allow you to get a waiver. My navy recruiter put mine in the other day. My vision is 20/40 with a astigmatism of 1.75. Anyone know if the Jan Navy board met?

Are you sure? I was under the impression that waivers would not be considered for SNA applicants. Would be nice if they were, since my vision is 20/30 but with a 1.25 astigmatism.

Also, I have heard both that the board met already, and that it will be pushed back to this coming Monday, so who knows? Hopefully we'll hear something by March.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
All you dorks are going to have to get used to the way is was before. Guys with glasses get two anchors, the ones with monkey skillz who can see get only one. :icon_tong

Brett

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd be interested in knowing this as well if anyone has the answer.

The answer, generally, is no. Why does it matter though? Are you suggesting that if it were to DQ you from jets, that you'd all say screw it and not even apply? Big picture here, people.

Brett

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
All you dorks are going to have to get used to the way is was before. Guys with glasses get two anchors, the ones with monkey skillz who can see get only one. :icon_tong

Brett

This is pretty much what I was counting on. I think I have a decent chance of reading the 20/20 line with the 1.00 diopter limit for astigmatism, so I put down SNA as well as SNFO.

And besides, we're geeks not dorks ;)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The answer, generally, is no. Why does it matter though? Are you suggesting that if it were to DQ you from jets, that you'd all say screw it and not even apply? Big picture here, people.

Brett

Glasses, in and of themselves does not DQ you from any one airframe. Glasses are equally useless on goggles, regardless of the airframe, so enter contact lenses. But as Lewie said, this is all dependent on actually getting your foot in the door and past the initial API NAMI Whammy.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Glasses, in and of themselves does not DQ you from any one airframe. Glasses are equally useless on goggles, regardless of the airframe, so enter contact lenses. But as Lewie said, this is all dependent on actually getting your foot in the door and past the initial API NAMI Whammy.

I recall reading something that if "your vision uncorrected was this and you wore glasses which made your vision that, but if then that whatever..." you might be in acft that had to have dual controls.

Any truth to this?

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
I recall reading something that if "your vision uncorrected was this and you wore glasses which made your vision that, but if then that whatever..." you might be in acft that had to have dual controls.

Any truth to this?

I am not sure what the rules are as far as once you are in the game....that is something that you can worry about and discuss with the NOMI dudes when you are there. As Brett said here, if they are going back to the old standard, don't be surprised if you no longer have a waiver and are not grandfathered in, and find yourself in NFO land. Getting started needs to be you primary concern, not what you may or may not be qualified for if you do get in. If a possibility of not being allowed to fly a certain aircraft (read fighters) makes a difference on if you want to do this or not, you need to reevaluate your motivation. The horse has been beaten to death on this, but even if you get in there is a better than average chance that you will be flying something with "dual controls" anyway, regardless of your eyesight issues. In short, worry about getting in first. As others with experience have said, it is likely that they may rescind the waiver if they have cancelled that program, and you will not be eligible for SNA anymore anyway. Good luck.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
20/200??? :eek:

AND SOME OF YOU WANT TO FLY THE AIRCRAFT !!??!!?? :eek:

I feel your pain, however. I lost a principal appointment to the Boat School ... 20/25 and 20/20 ... no waivers allowed. And any astigmatism was a killer. Mort. I went ROTC (waivers allowed up to 20/40)and I fully intended to go NFO at the end of my senior year (already put Marine Infantry and Blackshoe 3rd and 4th choice, respectively) if I could not muster up the requisite Aviator 20/20. I got into the Flight Program with a shaky 20/20 in both eyes and it's just gotten better over the years.

Having "shared your pain" ... with or without contacts .... thank God some sanity is getting back into the selection process ... there's no substitute for good visual acuity in aviation -- military or civilian.

eyechartim1.jpg

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
If a possibility of not being allowed to fly a certain aircraft (read fighters) makes a difference on if you want to do this or not, you need to reevaluate your motivation. The horse has been beaten to death on this, but even if you get in there is a better than average chance that you will be flying something with "dual controls" anyway, regardless of your eyesight issues.

It doesen't, and it wont.

I was just wondering on the dual control thing.

Having "shared your pain" ... with or without contacts .... thank God some sanity is getting back into the selection process ... there's no substitute for good visual acuity in aviation -- military or civilian.

Is it true that some civilian airlines still only take people with 20/20?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
By the way .... the original title of this thread .... you know:

.... "No more contact LENSE (sic :eek:) waivers? .... "

Perhaps the spelling would get better if the visual acuity was better .... maybe?? Yes ??? Perhaps ??? :)

snake020

Contributor
By the way .... the original title of this thread .... you know:

.... "No more contact LENSE (sic :eek:) waivers? .... "

Perhaps the spelling would get better if the visual acuity was better .... maybe?? Yes ??? Perhaps ??? :)

From what I gather, that spelling is from those British bastards who keep screwing up our language with such fake words as "colour" and "centre"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
lense does happen to be in the dictionary

So is "idiot" :eek: .... and "wannabe", ... and why ...*gasp* .... *breathless* ... if you look further into your dictionary, you will also find the word "misspell" :eek:.... and "lens" happens to be in the dictionary as well :eek:... which is what we're talkin' about on the thread. :)

BUT: if you require further proof or if you just like to argue, I suggest you check the NAMI/NOMI website (link above in a previous post) --- they seem to like "lens", too. :)