• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

No more contact lense waivers?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
look, i'm not saying any of you are wrong. just that there are pilots in the military who fly with glasses/contacts and they are not any less qualified (as pilots not medically) than the people with 20/20. if they can do it, then it shouldn't be any different for someone in upt.

You're answering your own question there. The reason, as stated in this and other threads, is that it's a selection process. You (or someone like you) have been determined to not be selected in your current state. Numbers went up, so they don't need you anymore, regardless of your potential. When numbers go down, the SCL will probably come back. Yes, fleet aviators can be both blind and wear contacts, but you or anyone else aren't there yet.

I'd guess all other things being equal, PRK will work out fine for you, so be patient and then hit it hard once they accept you.

sundevil_av8r

pilot
I'd guess all other things being equal, PRK will work out fine for you, so be patient and then hit it hard once they accept you.

thank you. i am just thankful that i had the money to do the procedure. without that opportunity i would have been shattered at the thought of having to fly a lifetime of autopilot, coffee, and newspapers.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
thank you. i am just thankful that i had the money to do the procedure. without that opportunity i would have been shattered at the thought of having to fly a lifetime of autopilot, coffee, and newspapers.

Yup. And always keep in mind that not too long ago, there everyone in your position that didn't even have the option of PRK. Definitely be thankful for that thing getting approved.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... i would have been shattered at the thought of having to fly a lifetime of autopilot, coffee, and newspapers.
And don't forget about making > $240K/year, either .... that's the part that REALLY sucked.

Autopilot?? You REALLY want to hand fly it for 12 hours across the Pacific??? I didn't think so ...

Coffee ??? How do you think we stay awake during those 12 hours on the backside of the body clock??? Good intentions, perhaps????

Newspapers??? Sorry .... not in my cockpit. Save 'em for the layover.

I take it back: we don't love you. And you wouldn't like flying with me, so consider that your blessing rather than having good eyesight.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
I would think that just b/c someone can excel in a civilian aviation program that they can excel in military training is ridiculous.

The standards are so lax in civilian training its ridiculous. I've me other commercial students in training with commercial certs who shouldnt even have a private... much less be in flight training in the first place, and seen people suck (badly), yet get pushed along through a program.

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
I would think that just b/c someone can excel in a civilian aviation program that they can excel in military training is ridiculous.

The standards are so lax in civilian training its ridiculous. I've me other commercial students in training with commercial certs who shouldnt even have a private... much less be in flight training in the first place, and seen people suck (badly), yet get pushed along through a program.

Oh crap. I didn't know you saw me flying whitesox!

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
if it was so dangerous for a pilot to fly with poor vision... then why wouldn't they take away the wings of aviators with deteriorating vision even though they spent 2 mil training them.

Actually, they do. Its called getting NPQ'd. Happened to a guy in VP-30 recently (he gets to keep his wings though).

I see now that A4s mentioned this a pg ago.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
JW, were PRK/glasses/contacts ever an option in this situation?

No. He had PRK. Depth perception problem (I know a couple dudes who claim theirs is worse after PRK then it was before it)- No waiver, No surgery to correct.

sundevil_av8r

pilot
And don't forget about making > $240K/year, either .... that's the part that REALLY sucked.

Autopilot?? You REALLY want to hand fly it for 12 hours across the Pacific??? I didn't think so ...

Coffee ??? How do you think we stay awake during those 12 hours on the backside of the body clock??? Good intentions, perhaps????

Newspapers??? Sorry .... not in my cockpit. Save 'em for the layover.

I take it back: we don't love you. And you wouldn't like flying with me, so consider that your blessing rather than having good eyesight.

you missed the point. of course i would want autopilot on a transpac. but im sure i dont have to explain to you the differences between flying missions in the military vs. civilian legs. even if someone in my generation had the opportunity to make that kind of money, it wouldnt matter. its not about the money for me. its about what i want to do. sorry if i offended you in some way.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
but im sure i dont have to explain to you the differences between flying missions in the military vs. civilian legs ...
Maybe A4s can explain the difference to you ... he is someone who DOES know the differences. However, I don't think he's going to be up to it ...

sundevil_av8r

pilot
you honestly think that i haven't talked with tons of people who have done both? i know i have never been there, you don't have to tell me. and i am trying to apologize so please accept that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
i know i have never been there, you don't have to tell me. and i am trying to apologize so please accept that.

Sometimes it's just not worth fighting the battle. Not everyone excels at reading comprehension while they're busy measuring their cranks. You've made the effort, just let it go.