• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nice Landing!

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
In Las Cruces they wanted us to ditch next to a road (or bailout) vice actually landing on the road because even if you can't see obstructions, it doesn't mean they don't exist. It's hard to see that stuff from high up and when you finally do, it might be too late.

Right. Makes perfect sense, so instead of landing on a nice firm surface, we should land right NEXT to that firm surface... ya know... where all those powerlines, road signs and foliage are placed.

:confused:

KBayDog

Yeah, good call except that some of us actually want to get somewhere in a reasonable amount of time.:icon_smil

"Life's a journey, not a destination."

320x240.jpg

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot
Random SNA-...but sir I was shooting to land in those bushes.

IP (me)- Those are the four 30' tall trees in South Texas...you are dead..I am pretty sure that is a 2.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Random SNA-...but sir I was shooting to land in those bushes.

IP (me)- Those are the four 30' tall trees in South Texas...you are dead..I am pretty sure that is a 2.

HA! On one of my first of 10000 engine out procedures for my PPL I had picked out a spot with no trees. I learned quickly that acres of dirt and brush at 2000 feet become acres of felled yellow pines at 500 feet.

Seriously though, the failed restarts saved these guys' bacon. I've often wondered what it was like to have a prop not even windmilling during EPs.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
y'know, after watching that vid again I realize that those guys are damn lucky.

I wouldn't have tried for a second restart, especially that low.

The fact that the engine even sputtered to life for a few seconds both times saved their asses.

But hey, it's easy to criticize from out here, only they knew for sure what needed to be done.

Why not? I don't believe it was a constant speed prop, so you're not bringing it in and out of feather and adding drag...and with a second set of hands in there to try and get the thing running again, you can still fly it til the very end either way...

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
When you say "that's the 152," are you talking about the first video? If so, not so much. The 152 doesn't have a stick, doesn't have tube support on the overhead, doesn't have a Rotax, had a different CFI, and landed in a field and not a road.

But maybe I misunderstood.

No, I was just refering to my linked story. The plane I trained in had a loss of power recovering from a stall and they put it in a local field about a week ago. Saw the story as relevant, we just dont fly around with cameras on all the time. interesting story though, becuase the local farmer had just cut down a line of trees the would have made it impossible for him to land there the day before.

As to the first video, that shouldn't have been a instuction flt anyway. Commercial operation isn't very legal in kit planes no?

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
That video just pisses me off.

Why in the hell could the Navy have not gone this route:

ENGINE EMERGENCY RESTART PROCEDURE

*1. Key---------------TURN

*If engine fails to restart:

*2. Key---------------TURN AGAIN

Instead of a 38-step procedure to try and remember while plummeting toward certain death.

KBayDog

That video just pisses me off.

Why in the hell could the Navy have not gone this route:

ENGINE EMERGENCY RESTART PROCEDURE

*1. Key---------------TURN

*If engine fails to restart:

*2. Key---------------TURN AGAIN

Instead of a 38-step procedure to try and remember while plummeting toward certain death.

The "Key" mod was only installed on aircraft with AFC 666.

The rest of the birds on the line still have random switches and levers, and thus need the 39-step procedure.*

(*The extra step was incorporated in IC 42.)

MasterBates

Wasn't the 60B Dual Engine Failure EP something along the lines of:

*1- APU start.
* While waiting for APU to possibly start:
*2- Scream
*3- Die fiery death.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
+1 for living
-1 for flying so low with a single engine and not having a good place to set it down.
+1 for being lucky
-1 for clapping and then almost becoming part of a "priceless" video in which you rip a wing off after hitting a telephone pole while parking.

=Average flight ;)