• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFOs life on a Super Hornet

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Hey dude,
OK, so it's interesting to hear that now you have to FIGHT to get a hummer slot. Bunk is right about the RAG, it's really a pain. If someone in pcola tells you that you will be treated differently because "it's the RAG", they are lying to you. You will find out really quick that you are still an unwinged ens. At least, that's what my group found out in the rag. Granted, many INFO's are cool, but because there are unwinged and winged dudes at the RAG, unwinged guys get looked down upon a little bit more than the rest. As for the job, it definitely isn't sexy. So if you are looking do "do something cool", go hornets. If you're looking to do something that is important, come my way. Not to say that hornets aren't important, they are, but we hummer moles have to cling to something. I was a draftee myself and overall, I am doing ok. I still wish I had a window though. Also, don't think that the E-2 RAG will "get you out of pcola". In the literal sense, yeah, but the work is 10X as hard. When I went through pcola (March-Dec 04), a lot of guys came up here thinking that they escaped getting attrited by 86 by coming here. Well, I have seen guys attrite here. Anyways, I am done with my rant. If you have any q's about the hummer, PM me. I'll be happy to help if I can. BTW, the best thing about being a hummer fo is that if you get west coast (me), you get to go to Pt. Mugu CA. It's probably the best duty station in the Navy. It definitely beats Lemoore by a mile. Good luck.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I am a former S-3 guy who recently went through the VAW RAG doing a COD transition. My experience was different from most in that I was treated pretty well. But I was given some credit for my previous 5 years in the Viking. From what I saw NFO studs life sucked the worse, E2 FRP's were not as miserable with the COD stud's having the best life. COD folks are known for being way laid back and it was fun watching the E-2 guys get all pissy because of it.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
goplay234 said:
Pt. Mugu CA. It's probably the best duty station in the Navy.
That's the first time I've ever heard anyone suggest that. ;) Sure it's no Lemoore, but best? Come on now.

Brett

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
UInavy said:
What platforms are they saying that the NFO does have a stick and/or release capabilities?? I'm all about task sharing, but those are two would be news to me.

Well, this is Trawing 6 he's talking about, so there's a lot of Strike Eagle IWSOs out there...

And the -18F has release capability in the back for all ACS jets (Lot 25+). Air-to-air on the right controller, air-to-ground on the left. But like Brett, said, it doesn't matter... far more important to acquire the target and put the laser on it. Whoever pushes the pickle button is just doing the last part of a series of events it takes to put warheads on foreheads..

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I'll grant that maybe San Diego or Honolulu might give Mugu competition, but there is not huge navy presence which is the big plus for me coming out of Norfolk where I get funny looks for walking into legal with a flight suit on...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
goplay234 said:
I'll grant that maybe San Diego or Honolulu might give Mugu competition, but there is not huge navy presence which is the big plus for me coming out of Norfolk where I get funny looks for walking into legal with a flight suit on...
Yeah, you can't exactly use "shoe central" as your frame of reference for duty station quality. ;)

Brett

FA-18 Mousse

Reserve Hornet Bubba
pilot
Grinch-
I've been a single seat Hornet guy for about 15 years now so you might think I'd be biased towards flying alone. However, was lucky enough to do a tour in VMFAT-101 at El Toro (back when it was open) and flew bunches w/ Marine WSOs in FA-18Ds. Can honestly say that a GOOD (definition-competent sensor operator w/ good SA) WSO was absolutely worth his/her weight in gold! However, BAD (definition- lousy sensor operator w/ shi##y SA) WSO made every mission more difficult.

Bottom line on this whole topic....if you care enough about becoming fully engaged in whatever mission/platform you are assigned, you can always play a role in the success of the outcome!

Just my two cents....

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
1. What platforms are currently available for us SNFOs when it comes time to select?

2. I've heard of some navy studs getting assignments to San Diego after the rag (jets-MCAS Miramar). Is this on a case-by-case basis? Or am i just hearing things?

3. During BOLTC, they told us that ppl from the VFA community have a greater chance of getting command vs. those from non-VFA communities (i.e. VP, VRC). Is this true? They gave us the schpeel on quality of life vs. quality of career. What say you?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fezz CB said:
1. What platforms are currently available for us SNFOs when it comes time to select?

2. I've heard of some navy studs getting assignments to San Diego after the rag (jets-MCAS Miramar). Is this on a case-by-case basis? Or am i just hearing things?

3. During BOLTC, they told us that ppl from the VFA community have a greater chance of getting command vs. those from non-VFA communities (i.e. VP, VRC). Is this true? They gave us the schpeel on quality of life vs. quality of career. What say you?

1. NFO platforms are: P-3, EP-3, E-6, EA-6B, F/A-18F(G), E-2

2. I don't know of any Fleet Navy Jet platforms in the San Diego area. Mirimar is a Marine Corp Air Station. A few Navy guys may be instructors at the FRS there, but that would be it. North Island has Helo's, S-3's & C-2's.

3. Opportunity for Command varies a great deal by community, but I have serious doubts about a Hornet guy having a markedly higher Command opportunity than other platforms. There are many factors that go into it. How is retention in that community? Is there a T-notch in the year group you would be competetive with? How long is the CO tour in your community? Does your community take in a lot of transition guys? Is your community just pilots or are NFO's in the mix for CO?

I guess the best (simplest) way to explain it is like this: Every squadron needs a CO. Who is the pool of applicants? The Dept Heads. How many of them are there in a Hornet Squadron? I feel safe in venturing that there are less than 8 in a hornet squadron. Not all 8 get to be a CO. Maybe 3 of the 8 will screen for command, so you have a 37.5% chance of being a CO in that community. You can do the math for any type of squadron with the right info. I know that a P-3 squadron has a lot more dept heads at any one time, so by this admittedly simple method of logic, they have a lower chance at Command. A C-2 squadron has ~6 dept heads at one time so their chances are a bit higher than a Hornet squadron dept head for CO. Similar numbers for the E-2 Community.

Again, this is a simplistic way to try and get my point across, anybody please feel free to expand or denounce my methods!

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
I don't know of any Fleet Navy Jet platforms in the San Diego area. Mirimar is a Marine Corp Air Station. A few Navy guys may be instructors at the FRS there, but that would be it. North Island has Helo's, S-3's & C-2's.
Yeah, definitely no fleet squadrons in SOCAL, but I do know that Phat-101 at Miramar does have Navy CAT I pilot studs, but I doubt they would take any CAT I Navy WSOs.

Brett

Fre@kshow!!

Yes, I really was in the circus.
None
Fezz CB said:

1. answered

2. There's always talk of "special" crap like that. When I went through, it was that a bunch of Navy SNFO's were going to Eglin AFB to become AC-130U gunship weapons operators. Most of what you will hear like that is BS.

3. Both of my BOLTC instructors were unceremoniously removed from the fleet (one Pilot and one SWO, both retarded) to be my source of inspiration as an officer and were both totally full of crap.

I'm not saying how your BOLTC types were, but trust me, Pensacola OCS/API/VT's are the most horrible place on earth for bad gouge, especially about the fleet. When you get to VT10/4, find some instructors you like in various communities and take a sample. Don't trust just one persons opinion about anything, especially about life in the fleet.

As for chances for command, maybe some others will chime in, but just off the top, if I remember from my last brief, VFA was the toughest community to make command for TACCAIR. I think the VAW CO selection rate was the best. Any detailer would be able to give you specific numbers for all communities.