• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFOs life on a Super Hornet

Grinch2020

Thanks for the replies all. I didn't mean to imply that all hope was lost for me if I get Hornets. Im sure the community will be very challenging and ill like it a lot. After all, my favorite part of school so far was having an 18 pilot popup over my target in our T-6 after my V-Nav checkride. And hey, if I get Lemoore ill be pretty close to home. Im just repeating what Ive heard both in the squadron and in the fleet(although I served in the Gator Navy so I didnt know a lot of 18 guys.) I probably should have come in and asked a general question about what I could expect from all of the three platforms I have available to me.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grinch2020 said:
Thanks for the replies all. I didn't mean to imply that all hope was lost for me if I get Hornets. Im sure the community will be very challenging and ill like it a lot. After all, my favorite part of school so far was having an 18 pilot popup over my target in our T-6 after my V-Nav checkride. And hey, if I get Lemoore ill be pretty close to home. Im just repeating what Ive heard both in the squadron and in the fleet(although I served in the Gator Navy so I didnt know a lot of 18 guys.) I probably should have come in and asked a general question about what I could expect from all of the three platforms I have available to me.

But it was so much fun having you ask the question the way you did. Scariest thing I ever did was accept a ride in an E-2C off USS America. it was very disconcerting to me to not know where I was on flight deck or what was happening up front. Also, I like having "the option" sitting under me with a handle near my hand if the cat shot doesn't go as advertised. My hat is doffed to the intrepid souls (sometimes known as "moles") who do their job in the dark with one butt cheek numb. The good E-2 guys are worth twice their weight in gold.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Goober said:
I'm sure that varies (like it does at every Rag in every community). Can't speak much to life for the student pilots at -120, but for us NFOs it really wasn't that bad. By and large most of the instructor FOs were okay and willing to cut us some slack even when we did some really dumbsh-t things, but that also depended on who your instructor was. Most were pretty cool and wanted us to learn/succeed. Some sucked a$$, and one in particular got pegged as a really crappy student by one of my prior DHs (who was one of his instructors) with the following quote: "The worst students often become the worst instructors because they're now on the flip-side and in a position of 'power'." Looking back at him now (and some other things that have happened since), it all makes perfect sense. :)

Don't make your projections based on what previous I-grads have gotten. It's just like the pilot side - whatever is avail that week is what shows up to pick from. Keep your head screwed on straight in the meantime and work for what you want. As a RAG instructor told our class once we got there: "You guys can relax a little now - you got the job. All you have to do is just complete the syllabus." :icon_smil

I'm glad it wasn't to bad for you. As the Student Contral Officer, I had so many complaints, many valid, some whining but from my observation, students generally treated poorly. Within a squadron, can be much different, depending on the front office.........like any squadron. I honestly felt bad for the student NFO's at the FRS. Not much I could do for them.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
UInavy said:
Interesting to hear bunk, I'd say the Hornet FRS is about 180 out from that attitude. I had a great time there.

I've heard that about other RAG's. Two of my fellow OIC's at 30 are former S-3 drivers and both were RAG instructor's at VS-41. They couldn't believe the generally bad attitude of 120. It was, as you said, 180 out of what they were used to.

ip568

None
If you want to be so busy in the air you need three hands AND you want to work cool systems AND you want to drop ordnance AND you want to travel like no one else AND you want to sleep with fewer than three other guys, there's only one choice: VP.

Good luck.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ip568 said:
If you want to be so busy in the air you need three hands AND you want to work cool systems AND you want to drop ordnance AND you want to travel like no one else AND you want to sleep with fewer than three other guys, there's only one choice: VP.

Good luck.

And no more per diem? or did you forget to mention it?

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
heyjoe said:
Totally agree. There's a reason that the Navy opted to put two seat Super Hornets in the Fleet and it wasn't to give pilots a cheering section or "sugar calls". If you think the backseat is nothing more than a cheerleader's job, you need to get out more.

In fairness to Grinch, this bum gouge has been handed out a lot by instructors down in Pensacola (the Prowler types contributed in no small part...)

Grinch-- a lot of half-truths to what you've heard. The bad news is that in the Rhino, the pilot can do everything. It's not the Tomcat or the Phantom, where the pilot lacked the physical capability to work most aspects of the radar... the Rhino was designed as a single-seat plane. That's really where most of this bad gouge originates.

The good news is this has zilch to do with anything. The -18F is doing more different types of missions than anyone else, anywhere. The amount of stuff you're going to have to learn is staggering. Except for a few pure geniuses, it's more than any one dude in one plane will be able to become an expert on.

More to the point, the actual systems are becoming so intricate and numberous, it's something you want two dudes to manipulate. Your grandaddy fighter pilot was an athlete who flew by the seat of his pants... today it's all about working the systems. Even if your one guy CAN work it all... have fun doing it while dodging manpads, talking to a FAC(A), not hitting the ground, acquiring your target, and making your time on target.

Not saying some sh!t-hot single-seater like jarhead or Rainman can't do it... but believe me, you'll be busy...

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to PM me. I guess I'm the only guy representing the Rhino two-anchor mafia here. Scary...:eek:

Grinch2020

Thanks for the reply turnandburn. Its good to hear it straight from someone in the RAG. I figured quite a bit of the stuff said at the squadron might be BS, especially since none of them are Hornet FOs. You just hear the big things such as no release cababilities(although I hear thats being looked into?), no stick, etc.

Im curious to know how the E and F differ from each other system and mission wise. Further, what does it take to get picked up for the FAC(A) program and what does it entail? Thanks much.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Grinch2020 said:
Im curious to know how the E and F differ from each other system and mission wise. Further, what does it take to get picked up for the FAC(A) program and what does it entail? Thanks much.

Well, in OIF, the Es (at least some of them) got to fly tanker missions while the Fs did FAC(A)

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
UInavy said:
What platforms are they saying that the NFO does have a stick and/or release capabilities?? I'm all about task sharing, but those are two would be news to me.
Weapons release - P3s.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
UInavy said:
What platforms are they saying that the NFO does have a stick and/or release capabilities?? I'm all about task sharing, but those are two would be news to me.

From what I heard, the WSO's will eventually be able to release weapons in one of the upcoming LOT (30 maybe??) jets.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pap said:
From what I heard, the WSO's will eventually be able to release weapons in one of the upcoming LOT (30 maybe??) jets.
I don't understand what all the fuss is about. In the grand scheme of weapons employment, the half second that you depress the pickle switch is really of ancillary importance.

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I don't understand what all the fuss is about. In the grand scheme of weapons employment, the half second that you depress the pickle switch is really of ancillary importance.
You could argue the same in the context of a more personal bout of "pickle-switching," considering the effort required to "get there" but that doesn't mean it isn't fun to "push the button!" :D :p

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
eddie said:
You could argue the same in the context of a more personal bout of "pickle-switching," considering the effort required to "get there" but that doesn't mean it isn't fun to "push the button!" :D :p
Except in my version of your "bodily function" analogy, the happy ending occurs at warhead function over the intended target vice motor ignition or rack release. :D

Brett