• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Sleep Deprivation?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Snap out of it. An entire community of diverse people do this thing called Naval Aviation... and do it effectively. Sleep is the last thing you should be worrying about.

One might even argue that shooting a wildly invalid HARM could be an equally irrelevant, yet better worry to maintain for now. It is all LARPing until the day it isn't. That day sounds like it is still far away. OP, worry about things you can control. I promise that if you have this career, the last thing you will look back and think is "man, that was just one continuous crew rest violation" :)

Mos

None
I'll just say that if your career is anything like mine, you will have days when you're sleep deprived and the majority of those will not be the navy's fault. I've found that naval aviation is fairly ahead of this. Other communities (SWO) not so much, or so it seems.

A$AP

None
I know that during OCS all candidates get very little sleep for weeks. The Navy as a whole is also known to overwork its sailors giving them little opportunity to sleep, especially amongst the SWO. But I've read online that NFOs and Aviators get a little more sleep than the rest. Is this true? Is there any sleep deprivation during flight school or afterwards for NFO/Aviators? Other than OCS, will they ever be chronically sleep-deprived?
Sweetie

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Eh. There've been MLK Day, Juneteenth, AAPI Month, this month, that month command functions going on since Davy Jones was in middle school getting stuffed into his locker. No one ever forces anyone to go. And if some junior Sailor feels a little happier she got to read a bad poem, and the boat is still running and the jets are getting fixed, then who am I to get in the way of making someone's underway life suck just a little bit less?

If someone wants to run a yoga class in an empty spot of the hangar bay, that doesn't impact readiness any more than if they were running the Crossfit WOD. Actually probably less, because there'd be less chance of someone ending up in medical after hurting themselves.
Now instead of a high-speed Sailor replace it with a very low-speed, high-drag civilian comparing her morning commute to the Civil Rights marches over the 1MC and you'll have an idea of what I'm complaining about. Work isn't a Def Jam Poetry Slam, and if it is, at least let me drink a beer at my desk. ?

Whoa you need to really chill out. @sevenhelmet is just trying to make his weekend a little better. I just roundhoused the Grubhub delivery person and I feel way better now. SYOF
Whoa, they let you do that now? ?
Do you have to tip extra for that service?

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
I'll just say that if your career is anything like mine, you will have days when you're sleep deprived and the majority of those will not be the navy's fault. I've found that naval aviation is fairly ahead of this. Other communities (SWO) not so much, or so it seems.
Couldn’t agree more.