• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Questions 2

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
Personally ... I don't know one. Not even one.

That doesn't mean they are NOT out there --- i.e., guys who are physically qualified for Aviator but choose NFO instead .... it's just that in my experience --- there were NO B/N's at NUW -- or RIO's that I knew/met amongt hundreds --- who were not physically disqualled (usually visual acuity) from the left seat/front seat in the A-6 and F-4 -- none --- except the guys who used to be pilots and disqualled at the ship or something similar.

But: had I disqualled physically or operationally at any time during my Naval service ... I would have traded my Naval Aviator Wings for NFO Wings in a heartbeat.

Perhaps someone can answer this question for me: Why do so many NFO's wear glasses???

I'm not there yet, but I qualified as SNA and applied NFO instead. I'm not commissioned yet or anything, but I guess I'm that one weird guy in the bunch who would do that.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm not there yet, but I qualified as SNA and applied NFO instead. .....
Again ... I don't know you. And to know you may not be to love you .... necessarily .... :)

BUT: since we're talking about this anyway .... and before you
get all hot and defensive ("you" NFO's collectively --- not you, Zilch) --- please reread some of my previous defenses of the NFO community (especially of the B/N breed) .... but tell me this, any of you NFO's:

IF you are PQ/AA for Naval Aviator ... why would one instead choose/desire to ride and breathe and work systems and lead strikes ........ when ........... **drum roll** ......... you could FLY and breathe and work systems and lead strikes ???

No hate ... no discontent .... no defensiveness need apply herein, no badmouthing, please.

It's worth discussing. Just wondering ... :sleep_125

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Again ... I don't know you. And to know you may not be to love you .... necessarily .... :)

BUT: since we're talking about this anyway .... and before you
get all hot and defensive ("you" NFO's collectively --- not you, Zilch) --- please reread some of my previous defenses of the NFO community (especially of the B/N breed) .... but tell me this, any of you NFO's:

IF you are PQ/AA for Naval Aviator ... why would one instead choose/desire to ride and breathe and work systems and lead strikes ........ when ........... **drum roll** ......... you could FLY and breathe and work systems and lead strikes ???

No hate ... no discontent .... no defensiveness need apply herein, no badmouthing, please.

It's worth discussing. Just wondering ... :sleep_125

You know all of us with double anchors are great guys, but

if I have been PQ'd I'd of been in the front seat

USAdefender

GO STATE!!!
Me? Oh heck to the yeah I'd go pilot if I could! I guess I need to go see another doctor about that surgery then, huh? Maybe I still can be a pilot. But if not, I will be just as happy as an NFO. I mean, hey, somebody's gotta do it, and we can't all be in the front seat, anyhow.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ditto...but I had a blast as a NFO.

Infidels! The point at which I made my decision was after my VP tour. Having seen both sides of he coin, the role of TACCO seemed a lot more appealing and cerebral to me than the bus driver(s) up front. My TACAIR experience has taught me that the two flavors are even closer than I knew in my P-3 days. I've had a bunch of Prowler pilots offer me the controls, and sometimes I've taken them up on their offer, but it honestly doesn't appeal to me. You guys get us back aboard - I'm cool with that and have the utmost respect for your skillz in doing so. My personal satisfaction lies in my mastery of tactics and how I can bring my weapons system to bear on that problem. If someone told me tomorrow that I could change it all and become a pilot, I'd graciously decline.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
You wanted rationale, I gave it to you.

Brett
Yeah, I know ... but twice??? Hiss. (You double posted #36 & #37) :) You're not a spammer, are you???

I know I'm dense sometimes .... but you only need to rationale me once. :)

I know I'm dense sometimes ... but you only need to rationale me once. :) *echo*

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, I know ... but twice??? Hiss. (You double posted #36 & #37) :)

I know I'm dense sometimes .... but you only need to rationale me once. :)

I know I'm dense sometimes ... but you only need to rationale me once. :) *echo*

LOL - curious. Must have really meant what I was saying. :D

Brett

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Infidels! .......My personal satisfaction lies in my mastery of tactics and how I can bring my weapons system to bear on that problem. If someone told me tomorrow that I could change it all and become a pilot, I'd graciously decline.

Brett
If I had been PQ when I first went into the Navy, I would have gone pilot. But as I have posted in the past, I think I got a lot more professional satisfaction and sense of mission accomplishment out of being a P-3 NFO than the P-3 pilots did. If given the chance to switch to pilot after my first tour, I can honestly say I would have stayed a NFO. I loved the job, I was damn good at it and I knew the pilot stuff would come after the Navy.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I had been PQ when I first went into the Navy, I would have gone pilot. But as I have posted in the past, I think I got a lot more professional satisfaction and sense of mission accomplishment out of being a P-3 NFO than the P-3 pilots did. If given the chance to switch to pilot after my first tour, I can honestly say I would have stayed a NFO. I loved the job, I was damn good at it and I knew the pilot stuff would come after the Navy.

Yeah, I'm sure there's an element of community specifics and my POV might have been different had I been humping Sparrows onto a Tomcat instead, but as my favorite Sailor once said, I am what I am, and that's all that I am. Now, where's my God damned spinach

Brett