• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Questions 2

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
As far as choosing pilot over NFO, any one ever stop to think that some people (like me) have to go NFO because of vision requirements? I don't know, but that could be the case here. Only speculating.

Yes I know about PRK, but my optometrist advised against it.

This just might be a typo, but if not, keep in mind that optometrists are not M.D.s and don't perform surgery. An Ophthalmologist is the one that will actually do the procedure, and if you want an opinion from an M.D. you should see on of these folks.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In my case the Air Force surgeon told me 4 days before the surgery that I would be a risky case for PRK since my eyes are oddly shaped

How bad can they be???
bug_eyes.gif

BlackDog421

Life's a garden. Dig it.
He said that lasik is the best way to go but I told him that the navy doesn't accept lasik for waivers. He said that PRK, in his opinion, doesn't have as good results as lasik. I didn't ask anymore detailed questions about it since he is the doctor and I would hope he knows what he is talking about.

My Optometrist told me that my eyes should be ready in a few years for PRK, and that he wasn't an expert on the quality of PRK vs. Lasik, he said that from what he understands, PRK is more stable and less likely to go bad again, because you don't have the sliced eye flap like you do in Lasik surgery.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
When I was going to get mine the doc said those eye flaps never heal...if you go in 10 years later to do a surgery you can just peel it back up!

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
...sliced eye flap? That sounds heinous, and makes me appreciate my decent vision even more.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sure, but don't think that everyone who is a NFO had to be one because they couldn't be a pilot for one reason or another. There are definately individuals out there who chose to be an NFO...

Personally ... I don't know one. Not even one.

That doesn't mean they are NOT out there --- i.e., guys who are physically qualified for Aviator but choose NFO instead .... it's just that in my experience --- there were NO B/N's at NUW -- or RIO's that I knew/met amongt hundreds --- who were not physically disqualled (usually visual acuity) from the left seat/front seat in the A-6 and F-4 -- none --- except the guys who used to be pilots and disqualled at the ship or something similar.

But: had I disqualled physically or operationally at any time during my Naval service ... I would have traded my Naval Aviator Wings for NFO Wings in a heartbeat.

Perhaps someone can answer this question for me: Why do so many NFO's wear glasses???

Crowbar

None

Well, there's me.

Occasionally I think, "Maybe I should have gone pilot." But it doesn't last long. I'm sure I would have enjoyed it, but I look back on how much fun I've had just in training and I've had a blast already. I won't say that I wouldn't change a thing, because I would change the flights I hosed up. I'd be more prepared so as to not make an ass of myself. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing.

To get my "stick time" thrills, I do civilian flying on the side. Not the same, I know, but I have a goal that I could never reach as a military pilot anyway. Seaplane rating.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Well, there's me.....I have a goal that I could never reach as a military pilot anyway. Seaplane rating.

But then ... I don't know you, do I??? Like I said ....

Maybe you should have tried this:

新明和

... Domo arigato.

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
Ever share a pattern with those guys? You spend half the time wishing you could get a turn in one of those seaplanes, and the other half wanting to get behind them and push....

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But then ... I don't know you, do I??? Like I said ....

Maybe you should have tried this:

新明和

... Domo arigato.

I've seen those around Iwakuni - cool beans.

BTW, I'm one as well and was PQ/AA for pilot (at the time). In fact, I had to retake the ASTB to adjust my FOFAR score.

Brett

robav8r

None
Contributor

That doesn't mean they are NOT out there --- i.e., guys who are physically qualified for Aviator but choose NFO instead .... it's just that in my experience --- there were NO B/N's at NUW -- or RIO's that I knew/met amongt hundreds --- who were not physically disqualled (usually visual acuity) from the left seat/front seat in the A-6 and F-4 -- none --- except the guys who used to be pilots and disqualled at the ship or something similar.

But: had I disqualled physically or operationally at any time during my Naval service ... I would have traded my Naval Aviator Wings for NFO Wings in a heartbeat.

Perhaps someone can answer this question for me: Why do so many NFO's wear glasses???
A4's - I think your comments are more relevant to those starting out there military aviation careers. I have had the opportunity to log a lot of stick time from pilots in H-60's, S-3's and P-3's. While I ALWAYS had fun and appreciated the learning experience, I always felt more comfortable either operating/managing the sensors on the aircraft or coordinating and leading the tactical effort.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Sorry guys ... I still don't know one. Not even one. :)

It doesn't make YOU a bad person, however .... ;)