• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Questions 2

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You kidding me? P-3 FO's are chick magnets, especially EP-3 FO's. Once I show her my special plasma ray and current highest score on Final Fantasy X, I'm golden.

Not if you look even remotely like Flash. :D

Brett

usnmerritt

NSW land
None
Not if you look even remotely like Flash. :D

Brett

Hmm....so you're saying I should recognize him around Whidbey?

walmartuni.jpg

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I had been PQ when I first went into the Navy, I would have gone pilot. But as I have posted in the past, I think I got a lot more professional satisfaction and sense of mission accomplishment out of being a P-3 NFO than the P-3 pilots did. If given the chance to switch to pilot after my first tour, I can honestly say I would have stayed a NFO. I loved the job, I was damn good at it and I knew the pilot stuff would come after the Navy.

I never had any hope of becoming a pilot, and little hope of becoming an NFO because of my eyes (I can't see the top of the eye chart, my eyes are about 20/650). I was pleasantly surprised when I found out my eyes weren't too bad for SNFO and was happy from then on. Only when I got to Pensacola and went through the NAMI whammy did I discover that I was right near the limit for SNFO (yes, there actually is/was one for SNFO's, not for NFO's though), my glasses prescription was actually over the limit but they tweaked another pair of glasses for me under the limit and I passed.

I think God knew what he was doing when he gave me bad eyes though, I wasn't very good with the monkey skills part of piloting during the first 8 FAMS in primary (isn't that kind fo important part of being a pilot.....;)). So to answer A4's question, kind of, I was happy enough to an NFO that I never seriously considered pilot.....and maybe that is a good thing.

One of the most ironic things, my Dad tried to join the Army during the Korean War but could not because of his eyes, which were a little bit better than mine........how times have changed.........:D

USN99

USN99
None
Where you stand is where you sit

Personally ... I don't know one. Not even one.

That doesn't mean they are NOT out there --- i.e., guys who are physically qualified for Aviator but choose NFO instead .... it's just that in my experience --- there were NO B/N's at NUW -- or RIO's that I knew/met amongt hundreds --- who were not physically disqualled (usually visual acuity) from the left seat/front seat in the A-6 and F-4 -- none --- except the guys who used to be pilots and disqualled at the ship or something similar.

But: had I disqualled physically or operationally at any time during my Naval service ... I would have traded my Naval Aviator Wings for NFO Wings in a heartbeat.

Perhaps someone can answer this question for me: Why do so many NFO's wear glasses???

A4s perspective is somewhat dated. When he and I entered naval aviation, it was emerging into a much more modern era where new officers could chose either to be pilots or NFOs and have equal career opportunities. But the preceding era in naval aviation was one where single seat systems were the predominant ones. It was just assumed (wrongly) that the NFO choice was, perforce, everyone's second choice and this captured the principle determining factor - visual acuity.

This visual acuity thing is interesting because the Navy has made amendments to this standard in direct response to the demand for pilots versus the availability of applicants. Don't get me wrong, visual acuity, uncorrected, and without glasses has some utility in the highest performing aircraft. Applying it across the board without distinction to the aircraft is a luxury that may no longer be justified as it was in a bygone era.

Getting back to A4s, a true gentleman of noted wisdom, the visual acuity perspective has truly been overtaken by events. In brief, newly minted Ensigns do whatever they want and can qualify for in spite of and/or because of their visual acuity.;)

Crowbar

None
Several reasons for me picking NFO over pilot. Most notably, with my background in avionics geekery I thought ECMO would be perfect for me. Also, I'm very trusting of you pilot types. You do what you need to do, and I'll do the same. We can back each other up without trying to run the other's show. Unless it becomes necessary. Anyway, I lost interest in being an airline pilot several years ago, so getting thousands of hours of PIC wasn't that important to me. Like I said before, I do civilian stuff on the side and maybe when I retire, I might think about being a part time CFI. Maybe.

All that being said, had I gone pilot, jets would have been my last choice.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
I have a question pertaining to both NFO and NA, though their answers may be different. Up to what rank can someone expect to be allowed to continue to be active in the air instead of permanently desk bound? If they are different, it will certainly help in my decision on what to pursue.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a question pertaining to both NFO and NA, though their answers may be different. Up to what rank can someone expect to be allowed to continue to be active in the air instead of permanently desk bound? If they are different, it will certainly help in my decision on what to pursue.

No different for either designator. Usually, a squadron CO tour (O-5) will be your last real flying tour, and that's assuming you get that far. If you make CAG, you'll do some flying as well, but it's generally not your primary duty or concern. On the other end, I know non-screened O-5s who are flying too. Bottom line, there's no hard answer, but the above is a good guideline.

Brett

sodajones

Combat Engineer
No different for either designator. Usually, a squadron CO tour (O-5) will be your last real flying tour, and that's assuming you get that far. If you make CAG, you'll do some flying as well, but it's generally not your primary duty or concern. On the other end, I know non-screened O-5s who are flying too. Bottom line, there's no hard answer, but the above is a good guideline.

Brett

Thank you Sir, I appreciate the answer.

megan620

EA-6B ECMO/IA Wife

Brett

DCAG (for the airwing my husband is in) has flown with my husband's squadron at both Red Flag & Cope Thunder (aka Red Flag north in AK)....so there is some flying above CO, just not too much. (And yes, I have personally talked to him at the last squadron dining out...someone else asked him how much time he spends flying, and I listened to his answer.)

And yes, for the record, I try not to post here in this forum since it is my husband (not I) who is the ECMO. :)

robav8r

None
Contributor
DCAG (for the airwing my husband is in) has flown with my husband's squadron at both Red Flag & Cope Thunder (aka Red Flag north in AK)....so there is some flying above CO, just not too much. (And yes, I have personally talked to him at the last squadron dining out...someone else asked him how much time he spends flying, and I listened to his answer.)

And yes, for the record, I try not to post here in this forum since it is my husband (not I) who is the ECMO. :)
During my deployment on Stennis in 98' (CVW 7) and Roosevelt in 2005/06 (CVW 8), both CAG and the CVN CO flew A LOT, like every other day. Additionally, the entire CVW staff flew fairly often as well, more than enough to stay current & proficient.