• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO-No future Outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
As a SNFO in training, if you dont want to be one, DOR now because your just taking up space.

Why all the calls for this guy to DOR because hes just taking up space when... if you read his profile... he hasn't even gotten into training?

All he said is his priorities have changed and he has to take into account his wife and kid instead of just himself... and asked about future employment oppertunities post military. What is the problem with that?

Even if he just wants to do his service commitment and get out, once again, whats the problem with that? He will have already done more (and if i read his bio correctly, has) for his country then the majority of the rest of the population.

Its been mentioned before here how the job of an NFO isn't completely understood (the NFO-No Future Outside title...that is a somewhat common joke) by those outside the military, and even those inside of it. Shitting on a guy for asking a question about how his future designator relates to post military life without contributing something positive isn't going to help anyone understand it more.

leaf001

Why all the calls for this guy to DOR because hes just taking up space when... if you read his profile... he hasn't even gotten into training?

All he said is his priorities have changed and he has to take into account his wife and kid instead of just himself... and asked about future employment oppertunities post military. What is the problem with that?

Even if he just wants to do his service commitment and get out, once again, whats the problem with that? He will have already done more (and if i read his bio correctly, has) for his country then the majority of the rest of the population.

Its been mentioned before here how the job of an NFO isn't completely understood (the NFO-No Future Outside title...that is a somewhat common joke) by those outside the military, and even those inside of it. Shitting on a guy for asking a question about how his future designator relates to post military life without contributing something positive isn't going to help anyone understand it more.

Exactley. Thank you for the translation.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
So once again, is there a future outside for NFO's?

Yep, NFO's are really screwed. No future at all. Not like the glorious submariners who go drive all those civilian subs or every SWO who goes to play Capt Stubing...... :tongue2_1

You'd be amazed at what you learn in the Navy and in the back and right seat. Leadership, specialty skills and special programs. Many of us stay involved in the business we were in and go on to earn similar salaries (or more) to 747 Captains (sorry, A-4’s, you do get more lime time though). I don’t know any NFO’s that got out and did not do something they enjoyed or found interesting and rewarding. If they didn’t find it in the first job they went and got more education or moved on and found it in the second. You may have a long career ahead of you. You may not. Regardless, you get out of a warfare community and the Navy what you put into it. It’s much like life.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
RetreadRand said:
What little box is that? the one on the McDonald's application?
Try..."when you submit your resume to a company"...that might be more in-line with what you would be doing after a career as an officer

Every fed job has a box you check for veteran preference/points, from GS-5 to GS-15.......;)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Every fed job has a box you check for veteran preference/points, from GS-5 to GS-15.......;)

Not to mention that with fed jobs under FERS you can "buy back" your years of active duty (provided you didnt retire and are collecting a pension already) for extra points for the FERS retirement... and also continue on in the reserves and get a reserve retirement.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm currently awaiting API as an SNFO and have just informed that my wife and I are expecting our first child. Priorities have changed...

Now that I can't be a selfish bastard and need to be the breadwinner for my family, what do retired NFO's do? They don't have 1,000's of hours on the stick and their training is so specialized there is no need for it outside of the military.

So once again, is there a future outside for NFO's?

I am in the DC area and I can tell you with all certainty that NFO's are very sought after for government and contractor jobs. Not because they are NFO's but mainly because they are former officers in the US military. The leadership skills and operational experience that you gain as a military officer is considered invaluable by many who work for and with the government here in this area. You are a bit of a known quantity because the military doesn't make any idiot off the street an officer.......most of the time.

So why would being an NFO be worth it and help you with your future career? In addition to all what was said above, the people who know anything about military aviation look very highly on winged officers. An aviator has gone through rigorous training and did a very complex job, and people are aware of this. Most importantly though, you have a heck of a lot of fun doing somthing most people can only dream about doing.......and it shows regularly. People from the newest gal straight of college or the old geezers who have been around for mroe than 30 years express a lot of admiration and even awe at what you have done. You can't put that on a resume but it definitely helps sometimes.

And if you are worried about advancement in the Navy, here is something to chew on:

fallon.jpg

Admiral William Fallon, Commander of the US Pacific Command......and an NFO

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to mention that with fed jobs under FERS you can "buy back" your years of active duty (provided you didnt retire and are collecting a pension already) for extra points for the FERS retirement... and also continue on in the reserves and get a reserve retirement.

Cha-ching!

pile_of_money.gif

P.S. A reserve NCC recently told me that more people retire from the reserves than active duty........

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
You'll get far more than just the ability to tell the pilot what to do. Otherwise my GPS could retire at 20 years (I keed, I keed). There will be plenty of leadership and management training in the job as well, which is very valuable outside.

This is a topic batted around by all warfare communities, with a consensus being that only pilots and medical types have a direct correlation to non-military employment. This couldn't be further from the truth.

As a former Naval Aviator who opted not to go the airline route, I can assure you that any military officer who serves an initial commitment is very marketable. Just ask my Academy classmate Shaun Bradley, who founded and still runs the Bradley-Morris agency, which is essentially a civilian placement company specifically targeting junior officers. He places JO's in lucrative spots every day.

It is true that outsiders readily understand what pilots, submariners and Marines do, but more importantly, they understand "he/she is a military officer who deployed and led troops in tough conditions." That's the key.

As a business owner, my chief technology officer is a former Naval officer, and I prefer dealing with people with a military background. I am continually amazed at how many successful folks in business have a military background. As fewer and fewer people (baby boomers to gen X to the generation we didn't spank) have military service on their resume, those who do have prior military time get recognized quickly, and no one really grasps, or even cares, whether you were a SWO or NFO or whatever. They think it is cool that you landed on a ship, but no one presses "were you a pilot or NFO?"

Military service is also a plus when applying to business school, law school, medical school, etc., and many large companies have recruiting departments that only focus on military officers and E-7 to E-9's. Like A4s, I too have a former squadronmate B/N who became a Navy OB/GYN (he said he wanted the chance to see all our wives naked), then a flight surgeon and is now in private practice. Former B/N's are investment bankers, CEO's, commercial developers, etc., and the list is long.

There have been times when I wished I had gone the airline route, but then there are times when I look at the furloughs and pay concessions that are occurring or have occurred and am glad I'm not.

My advice is to enjoy the time in the cockpit (pilot or NFO) because one day you won't have the opportunity to crawl into the cockpit 'just one more time,' and you'll miss it.

An earlier responder was correct. The mere act of serving one day as a military officer puts you in a category that very few Americans can ever lay claim to. I'll add this. Being handed the keys to your own Navy airplane makes you the envy of every American with a heartbeat, whether they admit it or not.

I have over 400 traps behind me and I'm envious of all of you, so enjoy it and don't waste it.

Now, if any of you can break the code on how to win one of those Alcohol Abuse awards you see hanging in Air Force conference rooms, please let me know so I can share it at our next Intruder reunion. I swear we drank enough for ten squadrons and still never won one.

hourocket

Bullseye
None
You are right Zippy, I am sorry for my rude outburst...I just hate how people inside an outside the Navy have a second rate opinion on NFO, granted I am just in the starting phase of becoming an NFO so I know very little about the "life after" but I have been in the Navy over 9 years.

I served 4 years as a torpedoman on a fast attack submarine, last time I checked there weren’t too many jobs in the "real world" for that either. People need to understand that being in the military is your job and the actually thing you do is a bonus...Officer first...NFO, PILOT, SWO, etc, Second.

This guy just all of sudden because he is having a child worries about what he is going to do after he does his service, like being a Pilot guarantees a flying job after he gets out.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
You are right Zippy, I am sorry for my rude outburst...I just hate how people inside an outside the Navy have a second rate opinion on NFO, granted I am just in the starting phase of becoming an NFO so I know very little about the "life after" but I have been in the Navy over 9 years.

You'll notice a majority of the "second rate" opinions come from people who have never flown with and may never even have worked with an NFO. I'm in an NFO community... I've never once seen an NFO treated as "second rate".

Status
Not open for further replies.