• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO-No future Outside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaf001

I'm currently awaiting API as an SNFO and have just informed that my wife and I are expecting our first child. Priorities have changed...

Now that I can't be a selfish bastard and need to be the breadwinner for my family, what do retired NFO's do? They don't have 1,000's of hours on the stick and their training is so specialized there is no need for it outside of the military.

So once again, is there a future outside for NFO's?

leaf001

Sure, a retirement check is nice, but I want to excel in life not just retire and suck off the government's tit.

Besides, you can't survive on a military pension alone. At least not here in CA.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You'll get far more than just the ability to tell the pilot what to do. Otherwise my GPS could retire at 20 years (I keed, I keed). There will be plenty of leadership and management training in the job as well, which is very valuable outside.

Lawman

None
Dont forget you get to check that little box marked "Veteran" on any application which is big.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
They don't have 1,000's of hours on the stick and their training is so specialized there is no need for it outside of the military.

I'm sure the NFOs are going to chime in on this, but a lot of former officers don't do the civilian equivalent of what they did in the military (often times because there isn't one). Yeah, it's nice to think, "Hey, I can fly in the Navy, get out then fly for the airlines." People get stuck thinking they'll only learn one skill, and that skill may or may not be marketable.

Being in the Navy as a JO thrusts responsibility on you that you probably wouldn't have in the civilian world as a 22-year-old college grad, and that's what attracts headhunters/corporate America.

Focus more on the part about being an "Officer", and less of the "Naval Flight."

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sure, a retirement check is nice, but I want to excel in life not just retire and suck off the government's tit.

Unless you are offered 6 figures for "consulting" plus your retirement. I know many a retired 05/06 who retired, and the next day showed up in civilian clothes, worked the same job and made good bucks. Excelling in life is all in the eye of the beholder.

Sucking the govt teet after retirement ain't so bad.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Dont forget you get to check that little box marked "Veteren" on any application which is big.

Yeah...I'm sure that will help them overlook any lingering questions they had about your other qualifications...

Lawman

None
Let me guess, academy grad? :)

Wow if ever anybody helped the "Kent Write, Kent Read, Kent State" joke....

And Scoober Im not saying its a free pass if your totally lacking in all other areas. But if you apply for any government job with veterans status you get a big chunk of points and typically leap frog any applicants that dont have prior service. Its also a 20% bonus on any civil service exam score which is twice what you get for a bachelors degree.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Sounds a little like you're having reservations and fishing for a reason to quit. Go ahead. Theres hundreds of people just dieing to take your spot. When you get right down to it you have a job that will provide nicely for your family. To top that off it will be a major plus for future civilian employment as previously mentioned. Its not an enlistment you're not joining to "learn a skill and pay for college."

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
And Scoober Im not saying its a free pass if your totally lacking in all other areas. But if you apply for any government job with veterans status you get a big chunk of points and typically leap frog any applicants that dont have prior service. Its also a 20% bonus on any civil service exam score which is twice what you get for a bachlors degree.

I was just picking on your spelling...clearly you missed the point. :D ;)

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm currently awaiting API as an SNFO and have just informed that my wife and I are expecting our first child. Priorities have changed...

Now that I can't be a selfish bastard and need to be the breadwinner for my family, what do retired NFO's do? They don't have 1,000's of hours on the stick and their training is so specialized there is no need for it outside of the military.

So once again, is there a future outside for NFO's?

YGTBSM...did you know Capt Bob Curbeam, on the last shuttle flight is an NFO...guess he has no future....wrong!

You make your own future.

You should be worrying about doing well in training and in the fleet at this point and less about 20 years down the road. As you promote you'll see doors of opportunity open for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.