• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Flight School Question

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Yup. The umfo program is replacing the 6-month waste of time in San Antonio altogether.

Too bad it's going away. Man, those were six months of living in a loft on the Riverwalk and gaining 15 pounds from eatin at Hells kitchen Mexican. mmmmm. And generally bashing how homosek the Air Force guys were hence appreciating the Nav that much more... Totally enjoyed it, and thought seriously about a farewell tour there, until, well the sun shone on me arse.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I most certainly did go through it, hence my right to pass judgment. When I showed up to VP-30, not only had my classmates who were umfo's already had P-3 exposure in several respects (NATOPS, sim, and plane exposure), but they also had started primary 20 something weeks behind me......The entire time I was out there, not one navy guy I talked to there enjoyed any of his or her time there......AF training itself is seriously a step behind the navy. Having been trained in both environments, I'd take navy any day.

Randolph = 6 months long, very little applicable training value towards the P-3 world.

Umfo = 6 weeks long, ALL applicable training value towards P-3 world.

Umfo is such a hook up compared to Randolph, I am just glad that those behind me won't know any different.

My apologies for assuming you had not gone through, you should ask for some wings on your profile. ;)

My main concern is that while some of the USAF silliness was unnecessary, I learned solid navigation fundamentals when at Randolph. It may have been a bit slow an deliberate, with two unnecessary segments (celestial and radar), but I was comfortable navigating from point A to point B across the ocean after graduating there. I am not sure that I would have learned the same fundamentals or had the sam econfidence with only 6 weeks of training.

As for having a leg up learning P-3 systems, there is not much to learn when it comes to Nav systems. I didn't even go to the RAG and on my 3rd flight in an EP-3 was navigating across the Atlantic. If you are talkign about more than Nav systems, it won't help out the EP-3 guys.

I just think the Navy is doing it mainly for money, and it may (or may not) bite them in the ass sooner or later. I knew a few crews that did a little touring where they should not have because of navigation mistakes. I am worried that it may happen with more frequency if the training is shortened so much, 'for efficiency's sake'.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I didn't even go to the RAG and on my 3rd flight in an EP-3 was navigating across the Atlantic. If you are talkign about more than Nav systems, it won't help out the EP-3 guys....blah blah blah..... I knew a few crews that did a little touring where they should not have because of navigation mistakes.
We have this new thing....it's called "GPS":D (I know I know, GPS jamming, blah blah blah)

Sabre170

None
I most certainly did go through it, hence my right to pass judgment. When I showed up to VP-30, not only had my classmates who were umfo's already had P-3 exposure in several respects (NATOPS, sim, and plane exposure), but they also had started primary 20 something weeks behind me. Not to mention living in the air force dorms. Not to mention dealing with AF flight school. Not to mention the Navy liason office never had any idea what was going on (an AF 2nd LT was stashed there, enough said). I could go on. The entire time I was out there, not one navy guy I talked to there enjoyed any of his or her time there. Not knocking San Antonio, which could be fun to hang out in, but the AF training itself is seriously a step behind the navy. Having been trained in both environments, I'd take navy any day.

Randolph = 6 months long, very little applicable training value towards the P-3 world.

Umfo = 6 weeks long, ALL applicable training value towards P-3 world.

Umfo is such a hook up compared to Randolph, I am just glad that those behind me won't know any different.

All great point of why Randolph COULD suck.

But while I was there, I felt like complaining and making fun of the AF was the cool thing to do. Since we (the Navy guys) had API and Primary we were the the "salty" ones. We laughed at the airforce as they tried to comprehend "head falling - tail rising". We joked about how many failed their sims. We also used our vast experience to question why we had to play the refueling game. Looking back I think I learned a lot. Sure it was not about the P-3 but personally I think the refueling game was probably one of the best segments of training down there. I learned how to, (without the GPS) get to a particular point at a particular time. The p3 does not refuel in air, but use it for what it could be, mines, bombs, torps, Harpoon, video, SAR, ISAR, etc...

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
I knew a few crews that did a little touring where they should not have because of navigation mistakes.

Then you get to wear a ribbon, just aft of the expert pistol called the OFUC! (Over-Flight Unit Commendation)

...it's a slow day

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None
All great point of why Randolph COULD suck.

But while I was there, I felt like complaining and making fun of the AF was the cool thing to do. Since we (the Navy guys) had API and Primary we were the the "salty" ones. We laughed at the airforce as they tried to comprehend "head falling - tail rising". We joked about how many failed their sims. We also used our vast experience to question why we had to play the refueling game. Looking back I think I learned a lot. Sure it was not about the P-3 but personally I think the refueling game was probably one of the best segments of training down there. I learned how to, (without the GPS) get to a particular point at a particular time. The p3 does not refuel in air, but use it for what it could be, mines, bombs, torps, Harpoon, video, SAR, ISAR, etc...

I definitely understand what you are saying in all aspects. However, none of my umfo peers appear to have been "robbed of valuable training" only found at the 562 FTS. My only point is that the same job can be accomplished for a fraction of the cost and time by fulling switching to the umfo program, which the navy finally has.

PS-I agree that making fun of the air force and watching them DOR from the program left and right did help relieve did help relieve some of the BS.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
Don't you have a boat to get ready for?

No... The boat has to get ready for me :D

My prayers at night now include the following "Dear Paddles, please allow your voice to be smooth yet firm, like your trying to seduce me, but you're really not because we're not gay, but I have to like the sound of your voice and trust it like the voice of God. Please be firm yet gentle with your power calls, because when you yell really loud, I know I have let thee down as well as my aircraft. Lord, help me realize a burble only exists as a figment of my imagination, and allow my hook to be the only thing to clash with steel on my aircraft... And whoever Mr Martin & Mr Baker are, may they continue to kiss my ass instead of me dangling in the package within it, Amen"

// End threadjack