• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Flight School Question

GreenWave08

I am an SNFO and am just getting ready to start API in the next few weeks. I was wondering, after API, where does the pipeline take you? I know primary is in pensacola, but how long does primary take? What happens after that, where is that school, how long does that one take? Any info that can be provided would be greatly appreciated?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I am an SNFO and am just getting ready to start API in the next few weeks. I was wondering, after API, where does the pipeline take you? I know primary is in pensacola, but how long does primary take? What happens after that, where is that school, how long does that one take? Any info that can be provided would be greatly appreciated?
Are you kidding me? SEARCH FUNCTION. How would you feel about the UAV NFO pipeline?

wingsB4rings

Four fans of freedom, all day long
None

Terrible gouge. How old is this??? It talks about flying the T-34 in primary, selecting F-14s and S-3s out of VT-86 and electronic warfare training at Corey Station. None of these have been available for sometime now. Also, P-3/EP-3 selectees no longer go to Randolph AFB (San Antonio) for advanced. T-2 training has also been canned.

Advice: PM some SNFO's on here. They will be able to probably give you honest advice and gouge about what is going on in NFO training NOW, at least from a student's perspective. Good luck!

Crowbar

None
bluesig1 said:

Terrible gouge. How old is this??? It talks about flying the T-34 in primary, selecting F-14s and S-3s out of VT-86 and electronic warfare training at Corey Station. None of these have been available for sometime now. Also, P-3/EP-3 selectees no longer go to Randolph AFB (San Antonio) for advanced. T-2 training has also been canned.

At least the image at the bottom of that page is more of less accurate, at least for the moment:

ppln_nfo.jpg

Typical timeline when I went through:
Primary 3 months
Intermediate 3 months
Advanced 6 months (9 months for Hornets/Super Hornets)

Any 86ers here who will be doing T-45s instead of T-2s?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
At least the image at the bottom of that page is more of less accurate, at least for the moment:

ppln_nfo.jpg

Typical timeline when I went through:
Primary 3 months
Intermediate 3 months
Advanced 6 months (9 months for Hornets/Super Hornets)

Any 86ers here who will be doing T-45s instead of T-2s?

That picture is accurate except the last class to do T-2s just recently started. Also, 17 weeks is the new primary length.

Rg9

pilot
Huh? I thought P-3 NFO's out of Primary are now coming straight to VP-30 to finish training, getting the prestigious "UMFO" classification until then.

wingsB4rings

None
Huh? I thought P-3 NFO's out of Primary are now coming straight to VP-30 to finish training, getting the prestigious "UMFO" classification until then.

Yup. The umfo program is replacing the 6-month waste of time in San Antonio altogether.

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
What are the current wait times before classing up right now for each of the different phases? (If it's allowed to be released)
I will be heading to Pensacola as an SNFO next May and I was just wondering.

Rg9

pilot
What are the current wait times before classing up right now for each of the different phases? (If it's allowed to be released)
I will be heading to Pensacola as an SNFO next May and I was just wondering.
It can change significantly by then so any info will be completely irrelevant. Usually May gets a lot of people in, so it might be longer. Regardless, expect 1 to 20 weeks.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup. The umfo program is replacing the 6-month waste of time in San Antonio altogether.

I thought that the USAF did a good job of teaching Navigator fundamentals. How can you pass judgment on a program that from what I can tell, you did not go through?

wingsB4rings

None
I thought that the USAF did a good job of teaching Navigator fundamentals. How can you pass judgment on a program that from what I can tell, you did not go through?

I most certainly did go through it, hence my right to pass judgment. When I showed up to VP-30, not only had my classmates who were umfo's already had P-3 exposure in several respects (NATOPS, sim, and plane exposure), but they also had started primary 20 something weeks behind me. Not to mention living in the air force dorms. Not to mention dealing with AF flight school. Not to mention the Navy liason office never had any idea what was going on (an AF 2nd LT was stashed there, enough said). I could go on. The entire time I was out there, not one navy guy I talked to there enjoyed any of his or her time there. Not knocking San Antonio, which could be fun to hang out in, but the AF training itself is seriously a step behind the navy. Having been trained in both environments, I'd take navy any day.

Randolph = 6 months long, very little applicable training value towards the P-3 world.

Umfo = 6 weeks long, ALL applicable training value towards P-3 world.

Umfo is such a hook up compared to Randolph, I am just glad that those behind me won't know any different.

Rg9

pilot
...but the AF training itself is seriously a step behind the navy. Having been trained in both environments, I'd take navy any day. ...
A lot of the AF Studs in Multiengine Advanced felt similarly. It was funny watching them get confused the first few weeks, but by the end they seemed to enjoy the Navy's style of training better.

I should add that most of my Advanced IPs were Air Force as well (including the CO when I started), but the culture was still that of a Navy Squadron. There was little difference between them and the Navy/MC IPs except for the color of their rank and how many times they could roll their sleeves. ;)