• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO duties

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well...this thread was a success eh?

That tends to happen when all your answers can be found by searching rather than being lazy and posting a new thread about an issue that has been addressed in minute detail for just about every NFO platform.

Brett

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
So navigation for example, what is a typical conversation in the plane like?

That confuses me because doesn't the pilot have all the instruments he needs for navigatino?

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
And yes I did notice the wonderful demonstrations in 4 and 6. Thankyou. I look forward to being an NFOs ***** one day.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That confuses me because doesn't the pilot have all the instruments he needs for navigatino?

Congratulations, you've just asked your first legitimate question.

Brett

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
NFO: Flight, Nav. Do you have the fly-to points?

Pilot: Yea.

NFO: Wake me up if you need anything.

Pilot: Rog.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Navigating is more than just following a needle on the HSI. In my jet, the front seat ECMO makes sure the nav systems are updated and running properly. He inputs the flight plan and any other tactically significant points, manages the many navaids, uses whatever charts or other reference materials are needed and makes sure that the appropriate information is selected on the display for the varying phases of flight. He holds the approach plates and feeds the pilot courses, altitudes, etc during that phase. During low level flights, he holds the chart, and is concerned with visual navigation, timing issues and avoidance of hazards. On an operational level, navigation includes timing, area management, finding the tanker, location of threats and maintaining SA on where all the good and bad guys are in relation to you and deciding on the most tactically efficient way of maneuvering your jet for the mission at hand. That's an admittedly bare-bones description of what an ECMO's navigation duties are like.

Brett

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

That confuses me because doesn't the pilot have all the instruments he needs for navigation?

All these former NavComms, no one can give him something a little more specific?

I wrote a few paragraphs and realized you guys know much better than I do.

I realize he asked what a conversation is like, but what do you DO back there?