• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NFO Aircraft Selection

tdimarco

Pro-Rec SNA
How is the "quality spread" applied? Does it show up on the SNA side as well? Does the Navy consider some platforms less difficult or just less desirable?

Skippy NFO

SEVAL/EWMC
Beware the Draft

During the NFO pipeline, how much of a choice do you have in choosing what platform you wish to fly on? For example, if your top choice is to fly as a P-3 NFO how much of a say do you have in that? Or if your top choice is to fly on a fighter jet as a NFO? Thanks for any info you can give me.

I had a number of friends who were all lined up and ready to choose what they wanted out of Primary then Millington came down from on high with a dreaded E-2 draft and every SNFO in that class went off to Norfolk a month later. Sometimes the NSS just doesn't matter. But, do what you can to stay near the top. I rolled into a class as one of the top (not #1) and didn't have any trouble getting P-3s. That whole group wanted F'ing 18s.

Squall

Go Navy, Go Big Red
Type of Craft for Naval NFO

Pro-rec NFO here, departing for Navy OCS as soon as possible (once the glitch in my security gets fixed. A Date-of-birth mix up creates a month delay. Did you know that? :icon_rage)

Reading a similar thread (NFO for Marines), I understand that helicopters have two Aviators, not one Aviator one NFO, and that some of their other craft only need an Aviator. Which Navy aircraft require/should have an NFO?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
FO planes:

E-6: flies around with a giant antenna. I really don't know too much about this plane, but the impression I got is it's kind of secret squirrel / comm stuff. Based out of Oklahoma City, I believe.

P-3 / EP-3: Anti-Sub warfare, surveillance, other secret squirrel type stuff. Based out of Jacksonville or Whidbey Island.

E-2: Deploys to the boat, giant radar helps control the air war / provide SA back to the boat and to folks on the ground (?). Based out of Norfolk (and maybe Japan???)

EA-6B: Electronic Attack plane, to be replaced soon by the Grolwer. Based out of Whidbey (Also Japan?!?) and deploys to the boat, but there's also expeditionary squadrons that do not go to the boat much.

EA-18G: New Electronic Attack plane. See above for the most part.

FA-18F: Navy Attack plane. Blows stuff up, deploys to boat, based out of Oceana or Lemoore.

MasterBates

Hey, don't knock it. When I joined BDCP as a Pilot, I knew they Navy Flew 14s, 18s and a few helos. I had no clue what a P3 was, and could ID a E2 by sight, but didn't know jack about it other than surmising "big radar dish on roof, must be the USN version of the E3".

red_ryder

None
Oh yeah, hawaii is good to, temptation for p-3's...

Anyway, make the huskers look good and check it out online, there's a wealth of info on it, probably on wiki. You from omaha?

Squall

Go Navy, Go Big Red
Oh yeah, hawaii is good to, temptation for p-3's...

Anyway, make the huskers look good and check it out online, there's a wealth of info on it, probably on wiki. You from omaha?

Played in the Cornhusker Marching Band, actually. ^_^ Best four autumns of my life, even though it was during the four years of Callahan. :(

Originally from KC Missouri. I went to Nebraska for college because I have too much dignity to be a Mizzou tiger. :D

I've been looking into it recently. I knew about the Superhornet (FA-18F only) as well as the Mercury (E-6) employing NFOs, but I was unaware as to the others. Wikipedia has a great amount of information, assuming that it is accurate.

To Bislake:
Yeah, I don't claim to know a great deal about anything, that's why I'm asking what I can before I get my ass handed to me in OCS. :icon_tong All I really have to go by is the gouge handbook for the Delay Entry Program and whatever I can find on here. Just trying to learn as much as possible before I go. Also got pro-rec'ed as a SWO, but I always wanted to fly in the Navy.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Hey, don't knock it. When I joined BDCP as a Pilot, I knew they Navy Flew 14s, 18s and a few helos. I had no clue what a P3 was, and could ID a E2 by sight, but didn't know jack about it other than surmising "big radar dish on roof, must be the USN version of the E3".

Haha....one of my roomattes here in Meridian still doesn't know how many engines a T-45 has :eek: