• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Pilot/NFO/SWO Rolling Board in February 2015

My journey to submit my SWO application has made me realize the gravity of the Navy's War on Paper and I guess I consider myself a casualty of it. On the plus side it's liberating to not have to follow this board religiously anymore. If anyone else has experienced a shit show like this I'd love to hear it.

November '14-Completed OAR Exam, Recommendations, and Paperwork. During this time my recruiter said I should be able to submit my app before the holidays, boy was that a good joke.
Late November'14-Submitted initial medical paperwork
December 22nd-Rejected by MEPS
January 28th-Appeal rejected by N3M in Millington
February 3rd-Waiver from Surgeon for Hip Surgery Sent to Millington
February 12th-Approved to process at MEPS on February 20th
February 18th-Recruiter informs me that the initial paperwork I signed will be 65 days old when processed by MEPS and therefore invalid by 5 days so my MEPS date must be canceled eliminating any hope of making this board.

Now I must fill out all of the paperwork again, have it sent to MEPS where it will be rejected again so that I can then send the paperwork to N3M in Millington along with the waiver. Once I am approved there again I can schedule a MEPS date. New targeted date for submitting SWO app is late March/early April according to the recruiter with an OCS date of sometime in 2016. That is unless WWIII breaks out before then or if they run out of paper.

Trust me brother, I feel you. If it makes you feel better....

All dates between November '13 and October '14 are approximate.

November '13 - Started making phone calls to local recruiters office.
December '13 - Continue attempting to get in touch with local recruiter. Despite 6-8 messages left over two months did not receive call back.
January '14 - Continued to attempt to reach local recruiter. Still no call backs. Told OR out of office and will return calls. Never happens.
February '14 - Family friend in the navy made a call to a friend of his in recruiting. Heard back from recruiter in another city. Brief phone call / email exchange. Told that until under MEPS weight cap nothing further could be done other than gathering references (DD370s), taking the OAR, and sending on transcripts. Transcripts are forwarded. I take the OAR (59 despite getting slaughtered on physics - I'm advised not to retake it despite my strong feeling that I could have done significantly better).
March '14 - Religious observance of the Gym, collecting DD370s.
April '14 - Continued religious workouts, running, weights. Drop weights when I backslide on weight / height chart.
May '14 - Hit my magical height / weight number. Attempt to contact recruiter I've been in touch with. Phone calls and emails result in no answer.
Late June '14 - Recruiter from several cities over finally responds. Says that since a new recruiter is entering my area I will be passed off to him.
July '14 - New recruiter calls me. We meet and I'm told I need to gather medical paperwork going back to '03 when I broke my wrist before MEPS can be scheduled.
~August '14 - Recover said medical paperwork from out of state with great effort and luck. Forward it on to recruiter. Told that by the time MEPS is scheduled I will have missed the next board (despite ~3 week window). Find out about NASIS for the first time and fill it out.
~August or September '14 - MEPS visit. Recruiter prepares to submit package and realizes he's short on references (DD370s). apparently approximately half of mine have been lost between original. They also need a new copy of my transcripts.
October '14 - Recruiter realizes he needs addresses for DD370s. I Furnish them.
December 17th, '14 - I receive email from recruiter informing me that as my first choice was Intel, and as the December 3rd board did not make any selections, I will hear nothing until the March 9th '15 board at the earliest.
Feb 11th, '15 - I receive an email from recruiter informing me that the March 9th '15 Intel board has been canceled.

At this point I really have no idea as to the status of my kit, when / if selection boards will actually meet for anything I selected (Intel, SWO, IW), or if there is any future at all in this dream. I hear SWO is really screwed up with tons of people waiting in selection purgatory, Intel is a no-go at all, and IW won't take you as a 3rd choice. For 15 months I've put my life on hold with this process, with the (mistaken) understanding that at any given time I was only a couple months away. I put off searching for a professional career and have watched my degree and skills become less marketable by the month as a result. At this point I'm about ready to accept that the odds of his happening at all are slim to none and move on. It isn't a matter of desire, simply one of practicality. Waiting another year seems likely to produce no better result and leave me worse than when I started.

Turn 26 in May.

Last edited:

Signup15

I established contact with OR in 2013. Tested in early 2014. Submitted app April 2014. OR sent confirmation that it was submitted two months later. Never got considered for SWO because was advised to place is 3rd place behinds IDC. Got held up in that really long IDC board, during which time, SWO had another board. Now submitted for this new board and my app has not yet showed up in CIRIMS. NRD wants my clearance to come through first before they submit my package. Chances are, I'm going to miss yet another board and by time of the other one, much of the letters and crap in my package may expire. Knowing my OR I may find that out after they kick back my package on at the following board. This is enough to lose your mind ten times.

Good luck to the best of you who will be considered in the next board.

Henley

Hey just curious if anyone has received their final select letter. My OR said it would be a week to three weeks. So I was thinking they should start coming in any day now.

KnightFlight

Hey just curious if anyone has received their final select letter. My OR said it would be a week to three weeks. So I was thinking they should start coming in any day now.
I would say more like a month to 3 months. Check out the Final Select Purgatory thread, there are people who have been waiting for over 6 months.

zsmall1

Trust me brother, I feel you. If it makes you feel better....

All dates between November '13 and October '14 are approximate.

November '13 - Started making phone calls to local recruiters office.
December '13 - Continue attempting to get in touch with local recruiter. Despite 6-8 messages left over two months did not receive call back.
January '14 - Continued to attempt to reach local recruiter. Still no call backs. Told OR out of office and will return calls. Never happens.
February '14 - Family friend in the navy made a call to a friend of his in recruiting. Heard back from recruiter in another city. Brief phone call / email exchange. Told that until under MEPS weight cap nothing further could be done other than gathering references (DD370s), taking the OAR, and sending on transcripts. Transcripts are forwarded. I take the OAR (59 despite getting slaughtered on physics - I'm advised not to retake it despite my strong feeling that I could have done significantly better).
March '14 - Religious observance of the Gym, collecting DD370s.
April '14 - Continued religious workouts, running, weights. Drop weights when I backslide on weight / height chart.
May '14 - Hit my magical height / weight number. Attempt to contact recruiter I've been in touch with. Phone calls and emails result in no answer.
Late June '14 - Recruiter from several cities over finally responds. Says that since a new recruiter is entering my area I will be passed off to him.
July '14 - New recruiter calls me. We meet and I'm told I need to gather medical paperwork going back to '03 when I broke my wrist before MEPS can be scheduled.
~August '14 - Recover said medical paperwork from out of state with great effort and luck. Forward it on to recruiter. Told that by the time MEPS is scheduled I will have missed the next board (despite ~3 week window). Find out about NASIS for the first time and fill it out.
~August or September '14 - MEPS visit. Recruiter prepares to submit package and realizes he's short on references (DD370s). apparently approximately half of mine have been lost between original. They also need a new copy of my transcripts.
October '14 - Recruiter realizes he needs addresses for DD370s. I Furnish them.
December 17th, '14 - I receive email from recruiter informing me that as my first choice was Intel, and as the December 3rd board did not make any selections, I will hear nothing until the March 9th '15 board at the earliest.
Feb 11th, '15 - I receive an email from recruiter informing me that the March 9th '15 Intel board has been canceled.

At this point I really have no idea as to the status of my kit, when / if selection boards will actually meet for anything I selected (Intel, SWO, IW), or if there is any future at all in this dream. I hear SWO is really screwed up with tons of people waiting in selection purgatory, Intel is a no-go at all, and IW won't take you as a 3rd choice. For 15 months I've put my life on hold with this process, with the (mistaken) understanding that at any given time I was only a couple months away. I put off searching for a professional career and have watched my degree and skills become less marketable by the month as a result. At this point I'm about ready to accept that the odds of his happening at all are slim to none and move on. It isn't a matter of desire, simply one of practicality. Waiting another year seems likely to produce no better result and leave me worse than when I started.

Turn 26 in May.

Well shit, I'll drink to that. This is exactly how I feel. I've wanted this really bad since graduating college but the wait and future uncertainty is really worrying me. I'll be turning 26 at the end of this year and my brain is going to mush at my boring corporate job. I'm applying for law school as a backup with the goal of entering the Navy JAG Corps even though I know that this is highly selective. The only downside to JAG is that you don't get to do all the fun stuff like VBSS according to what I've heard.

I suppose my question is, does it make more sense to resubmit my package with a different 1st choice since Intel is closed for FY15 and 3rd choice is basically never selected?

Also, I didn't know that letters and bits of a package expired. I think I recall hearing that after a year DD370s are given much less weight, but what else runs into time problems?

THEanimal

I hope so... getting nervous.

Also did anyone disclose any drug usage prior to sending in their packet.
Just worried because I unknowingly took a hit from a joint when in college (thought it was a hand rolled cigarette at the time as my roommates used to roll their own cigarettes), and had to disclose that on my packet. It was one time thing, and haven't smoked after that but was worried that they would deny me for that one incident.

Don't think it's a big deal seeing how it was an honest mistake, but thought I'd ask to see what ya'll thought.

I'm prior USMC with 2 MIP's in high school and MJx5. As long as you tell them about it and you're not determined to be a future threat you're fine.

Jcm0338

OR told me today that the board WILL be on Monday. He also told me that I would not be in this one because even though my packet has been finished since Jan. it was not submitted in time. Feb. 4 would have been the deadline for this one.

This is from NRD Dallas.

exNavyOffRec

I suppose my question is, does it make more sense to resubmit my package with a different 1st choice since Intel is closed for FY15 and 3rd choice is basically never selected?

Also, I didn't know that letters and bits of a package expired. I think I recall hearing that after a year DD370s are given much less weight, but what else runs into time problems?

The standard at NRC for quite a while was if the DD 370 signatures were going to be over 6 months by the board date then they needed to be redone.

Signup15

Question??? If someone's package is submitted and can be verified in CIRIMS, will everything be good to go for the following board? Even if certain aspects of the package pass their expiration date, will the package still be good for the board?

exNavyOffRec

Question??? If someone's package is submitted and can be verified in CIRIMS, will everything be good to go for the following board? Even if certain aspects of the package pass their expiration date, will the package still be good for the board?

It should be, the ones I had kicked back hadn't been approved by the PM, bounced back and forth between processors for a variety of issues, I have had application sent back because we had some forms change and they were waiting for the board.

evdberg21

It should be, the ones I had kicked back hadn't been approved by the PM, bounced back and forth between processors for a variety of issues, I have had application sent back because we had some forms change and they were waiting for the board.

My question is similar to this. I missed the previous board by a few days, but my package got submitted for the next Pilot board. I was just wondering if I need a new conditional release form since it's only valid for 90 days and those days would be over during the first week of March.