• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Next Board ~ April 2011

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually had enough guts to walk into the Navy Recruiting office and ask my officer recruiter to put an application for me in February 2010 when I was 29. Due to some circumstances which no one will explain my application was not seen in September 2010 or November 2010 board. I tried emailing and calling my recruiter but he has not been responsive and avoiding me, so has everyone else in the office. Since no one responded I decided to write a letter to my congressman and she called the Congressional Inquiries Branch for Navy Recruiting Command. According to them there was a problem with my application that required clarification and correction, but rest assured I will be looked at in the April Board.

After hearing that there will be a government shutdown I wrote my congressional liaison and told her, if I don't get a decision in April or I don't get a favorable decision I'll be back in her office. Yes...I am asking for an age waiver with no prior service, I am currently 30 1/2. If there will be no officer boards until October 2012 (which is fiscal year 2013 then I'll be 33 years old.
This is a double post to ensure wide distribution in the interests of education. Sorry to use up the band width Websan. It is a good cause.

After a little follow up I see that it isn't that josephdodge has been misled by a recruiter. He just thinks he is entitled to be a Navy pilot because he wants it so bad. Well, everyone wants it so bad and nearly everyone else got their app in before they were too old. Of those that inquired after they were too old or not competitive, most politely went away reflecting on the choices they made in the previous 5 years or so that cost them their chance. Only rarely do we get folks like josephdodge that is convinced he is God's gift to Naval Aviation and enlists the help of his Congress Member. As an education to those of you passing by, this is how a recruiting office reacts to a congressional inquiry. First, the NRD knows that Congress Members respond to all such requests for their constituents with little regard for the facts. Second, they know that the Congress Member doesn’t know this guy or the complete circumstances of his application. The constituent is talking to a staffer or volunteer. 80% of the time the NRD receives a form letter. Third, and most importantly, the NRD knows that the Congress Member will not expect the Navy to break the law or violate their own regulations. So, on receipt of a congressional inquiry, the NRD looks at the file and makes sure the I’s are doted and the T’s crossed. Then they submit it to CNRC. In josephdadge’s case, to be turned down because he is too old by a LONG shot. No waivers for non-priors. No special consideration. “Yes Mr. josephdoge, we submitted your request for waiver. Jeez, we are sorry it didn’t go your way. Can’t imagine what happened. Have a nice life.” This is from the Navy recruiting instructions for officer recruiting.

MARGINALLY QUALIFIED PROSPECTS. Before scheduling a
Marginally qualified prospect to process, the OR must determine
that the individual has compensating qualities or attributes
that balance or out-weigh the characteristic or circumstance
Identifying him/her as marginally qualified. It is important to note that a prospect that is marginally qualified is not a field
reject candidate. Field rejection is for non-qualified
prospects only. However, knowingly processing or submitting a
"Marginally Qualified" applicant's package that is not deemed
competitive is not in the best interests of the applicant and
only causes unnecessary work for everyone involved (including
selection boards). Therefore, the NRD CO has the authority to
not process or forward any applicant's package if he/she
determines that the package is not competitive for the officer
program for which the applicant is applying
. (emphasis added)

Oh wait, this doesn’t apply, because josephdodge isn’t marginally qualified, he wasn’t qualified at all! This is the route the NRD tried to take. But now he is taking time away from the board members and NRD staff trying to fairly serve the interests of the Navy and legitimately competitive applicants. Don’t be this guy!!!

Tonkovich.J

I don't think we will be hearing very much from Mr. josephdodge anymore, especially after that shellacking. I like the point that wink made about most people politely reflecting on the choices they made in the previous 5 years that cost them their opportunity. Josephdodge needs to realize that he has missed the boat (no pun intended).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think we will be hearing very much from Mr. josephdodge anymore, especially after that shellacking. I like the point that wink made about most people politely reflecting on the choices they made in the previous 5 years that cost them their opportunity. Josephdodge needs to realize that he has missed the boat (no pun intended).
Actually, we did, over here. http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php/155032-Am-I-too-late?p=683669#post683669
Can you believe it?

Rurouni007

OCS Applicant (Supply Corp), NRD Los Angeles
Okay so here is what my recruiter said. He said until you reach at least half of your credit hours required towards your master's it has no affect on your gpa calculations..

When I did the GPA calculation with my OR, I had approx. 180 units with my primary four year college and one class (4 units) with a community college, he used a formula to average them together.. which actually brought my GPA up since the 4 units from community college was a A :)

VNE

When I did the GPA calculation with my OR, I had approx. 180 units with my primary four year college and one class (4 units) with a community college, he used a formula to average them together.. which actually brought my GPA up since the 4 units from community college was a A :)

I'm assuming that the calculated difference in GPA's were negligible. Am I right?

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
My recruiter randomly called me today to tell me that all FY 2012 slots for pilot and NFO are filled and they are not accepting apps until FY 13.. Any one else hear this as well?

I'm assuming that means no boards until like middle or end of 2012.. ?

fattestfoot

In it for the naked volleyball
Depends on what that means. It could be that they're not accepting applications until FY13, which would mean the next board would be Oct 2012 (filling FY14). The more likely scenario is that they're not accepting applications until they start filling FOR FY13, which would mean the next board would be Oct 2011.

Or, it could be that your recruiter has no idea and is just guessing (probably the most likely scenario).

MGoBrew11

pilot
Eaglei,

Have not heard that. Talked to my processor today and he said that a board in May was still a possibility.

Called the CNRC last week and they told me the same thing. The Lt. I talked to at the CNRC said that they still did not have their numbers (this was before the budget issue was solved) and that once they did, they would decide in mid-April (so probably the next few days) when the next boards would meet. He said that after deciding that, they would give the board members 30 days notice before the next board...

So I would say nothing has changed. Next board could be May, next board could be in the fall, next board could be in 2012. My money is on this fall.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
Okay good. Glad to hear everything is still in the air. He keeps pushing for me to accept another job, "Cyber Warfare Engineering" I was selected for the last time I tried for pilot. So maybe this is his way to make it sound like there is no chance for me at pilot and for me to jump on board CWE.

At least this gives me hope to ride things out for another month or so before I make any final decisions.

TheBirdy

pilot
haha, well I HOPE it is this May, but I think the safe bet is on the fall. Just my gut feeling when you take into consideration all that has been said on the issue.

Met with my OR today, he said he has heard some talk about a board being held in August. Once again, it is just speculation, so take it with a grain of salt (as I did). A board in May would definitely be awesome though. My OR advised me to look into other branches, so I am taking a look into the USMC (always good to keep an open mind I guess). Still crossing my fingers for the USN. Fly Navy! :D

GreenLantern330

haha, well I HOPE it is this May, but I think the safe bet is on the fall. Just my gut feeling when you take into consideration all that has been said on the issue.

Oh, I know. All you guys have been waiting forever for the April board and to have to wait for fall would be bad to wait any longer. I think I'll finally be able to get my application in for fall though.. so I'm hoping there's one in fall. If there's one in May and fall.. that'd be awesome too!

Has anyone heard anything about the number of packets they review at boards now? I remember a while back it was 150/board. Do they still have a limit or will the next board review everything they have?