• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Newbie with questions on OCS and API

Raptor2216

No no no... just start preparing earlier than I would have ya know. Fixed wing is my preference, and to do ensure I get it, I want to be the top of my class. Cant blame a kid for trying (and preparing all he can) to be the best can ya?
But getting assigned to helos wouldn't let me down either. "Fuck it, its too hard" is never an option, or else why would I even want to be an SNA? :icon_tong

I know I know, just relax and enjoy college. And I will. But I guess I only ask, just to know it and gather as much knowledge as I can here.

I'd be more worried about the NAMI whammy or breaking a leg at TBS or something else that is out of your control. I don't understand how any of this will help you to prepare for API but as others have said, quit worrying about it. Being brown, my swimming abilities are less than ideal and I made it though API just fine. It took me a while to get comfortable in the water but all that time was spent in the pool at TBS. You will do plenty of swimming at TBS and if you can't get though that, you ain't going to P-cola. Worry about that when the time comes but just go party for now.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
Being brown, my swimming abilities are less than ideal and I made it though API just fine. It took me a while to get comfortable in the water but all that time was spent in the pool at TBS.

Being brown is no excuse...just take some initiative.

340x.jpg

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
If you are really worried about the swimming take a swim class or two while at school. That is what I am planning on doing in my final quarter to get a little better in the water. Plus its an easy A!

usmc_stud

pilot
API is a breeze. OCS and TBS are hard. If you want to be prepared, get in good shape (OCS will demand it and TBS will undo it) and develop a good study habit now (i.e. do well in college) and you'll get the pilot slot and be prepared for the rest.

Trev82

pilot
i have a few buddy's that got very close to three failures went to the prb saw the CO and got that last chance..its not that bad just put in the study and you'll do fine.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not that hard might be an understatement.......concur with everyone else, not worth wasting your time on. You will have plenty of time to study ahead if you REALLY feel like it when you are in A-Pool/IFS/etc. The only person I ever saw fail out of API was a guy who got caught cheating during our Nav final, and I think he had bigger concerns than just not making it through API academics....

S.O.B.

pilot
Not that hard might be an understatement.......concur with everyone else, not worth wasting your time on. You will have plenty of time to study ahead if you REALLY feel like it when you are in A-Pool/IFS/etc. The only person I ever saw fail out of API was a guy who got caught cheating during our Nav final, and I think he had bigger concerns than just not making it through API academics....

If you enjoy the material and have time on your hands then go for it. Is it a requirement? Of course not, but I bet some of the kids that were getting cut when a 90% was required wished they had applied a little more effort. My point is it's up to you. Don't believe everything you read, lots of people have been aatrited out of API over the years.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you enjoy the material and have time on your hands then go for it. Is it a requirement? Of course not, but I bet some of the kids that were getting cut when a 90% was required wished they had applied a little more effort. My point is it's up to you. Don't believe everything you read, lots of people have been aatrited out of API over the years.

Good point, my advice is really only for the short term. From an uninformed outsider's perspective, it seems that things may be getting ready to swing back that way, so SOB has a valuable point having seen much more than I have surely....