• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Newbie with questions on OCS and API

xmid

pilot
Contributor
And on that note, only you know (maybe) how hard you will have to study. Don't let others that claimed they "never really had to study" in API lure you down that path. I listened to too many of my friends (that probably weren't being completely honest) say that and it almost bit me in the ass. Go ahead and study in A-pool if it will give you peace of mind. Those that studied too much regret it far less than those that studied too little. The stakes are high and you should treat it as such. That being said it's nothing to be worried about ahead of time, just have your game face on when it counts.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
And on that note, only you know (maybe) how hard you will have to study. Don't let others that claimed they "never really had to study" in API lure you down that path. I listened to too many of my friends (that probably weren't being completely honest) say that and it almost bit me in the ass. Go ahead and study in A-pool if it will give you peace of mind. Those that studied too much regret it far less than those that studied too little. The stakes are high and you should treat it as such. That being said it's nothing to be worried about ahead of time, just have your game face on when it counts.

Some folks actually don't have to study that hard while others do. You must be from the crowd of those that have to. Back in primary, I may have studied for a flight for two hours and ready to go the next day. My roomate, same flight, 6 hours before he was ready to go. The stuff just clicks with some folks and doesn't with others.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Some folks actually don't have to study that hard while others do. You must be from the crowd of those that have to. Back in primary, I may have studied for a flight for two hours and ready to go the next day. My roomate, same flight, 6 hours before he was ready to go. The stuff just clicks with some folks and doesn't with others.

Yes Sir, and that was just my point. You have to find out how much studying its going to take you. Just because your friend or roomate didn't have to study for it doesn't mean you won't have to. Telling a board or the CO that you didn't study hard enough because your roomate told you it was easy is not going to be an acceptable excuse. Regardless the OP shouldn't be worrying about it right now.

phrogpilot73

Dude - what is it with you today?

(Perhaps this is the etymology of your call sign, oh Stinky one?)
Good point, I didn't realize I posted two poop stories in one day. I'll blame it on the youtube video one of my coworkers shared (Kenny vs Spenny Biggest Fart).

Actually, the callsign came from 4 showers in 3 weeks during a CAX. Everything else has just reinforced it. :D

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Yes Sir, and that was just my point. You have to find out how much studying its going to take you. Just because your friend or roomate didn't have to study for it doesn't mean you won't have to. Telling a board or the CO that you didn't study hard enough because your roomate told you it was easy is not going to be an acceptable excuse. Regardless the OP shouldn't be worrying about it right now.

Are people that stupid? :confused::confused:

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
You're in the right place. The whole "no question is a dumb question" thing applies so fire away when ready (however, there is a search feature so use it before hand).

Lots of experience here from all walks of life that have heard every possible scenario, and if they haven't they know someone who has. Welcome and Semper Fi.

PS - OCS sucks but you'll see it was worth it when its over. Good luck.

jdflyer09

Enjoy college. Trust me.

SD

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I love college. Sh*t, it's Boston. But I just can't wait to do all of this and do what I really want to do in life. Ya know?

Thanks for the advice though! I def know where you're coming from

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for the warm welcome haha.
Yeah I'm a sophomore, and I know its a few years off, but hey, everyone likes to be prepared for whats ahead. Either I ask now, and ease my curiosity or I can bother you guys later with it.
As for the contract, yeah, I'm in the process. Everyone says always have a positive attitude, and how it gets you places.. So I guess I am asking these questions because I think in the best case scenario.

Come on, you're already a Navy pilot, remember when all this stuff was new to you? And ya wanted all the answers? :D

When the majority of generations that went before you went to Pensacola, there was no InterNet and AW is still relatively new (and improved) so the vast majority of folks faced a great deal of unknowns. You're lucky to have a resource like this, but you're fretting way too much especially about Centrifuge training that likely isn't in the cards for you unless you go to a Hornet cockpit and only after you get to the fleet. Like others have attested, the entire program is designed to give you challenges in bite-sized chunks. Sometimes, you're swallowing faster than you're used to, but they're not trying to attrite you necessarily. You don't have to be a rocket scientist nor an Olympic athlete. You have to really stumble to get shown the door and they have mechanisms in play to help you through tough spots. Your fellow students will be all going through the same rites of passage which will bond you together more so than OCS. Worrying about what you do way into the program may scare you, but if you take it the way it's designed to be presented with a positive attitude, you'll be fine.

FlyinRock

JD
College is just preparing you for perhaps one of the most demanding things you'll ever encounter in life (aside from being shot at up close and personal).
It has been my experience as an instructor for many many years, there are students who are serious, and the rest.
I am always distressed when a student comes to me for a phase check and stumbles with the first question on the oral exam. When I ask how much time they are studying and get the answer of "an hour or so", I toss them out of my office and tell them they are not serious enough to be in the program.
Aviation is a very demanding profession and the military even more so. Why? Because someone is seriously going to try to kill your young ass.
Take your study seriously. What you put into it will determine where you come out at the end. Take a drunken party attitude and you'll end up the same way with your pic on the internet face down in a toilet or something just as stupid.
Attitude counts for as much as academic skills as far as I am concerned. I don't want some pilot who can quote archaic languages and go to sleep when the SHTF and leave me to fend for myself. I'd much rather have a pilot who will stick with me no matter how hairy it gets and could care less what his grade average was years earlier.
Still, develop good study habits and actually try to learn something instead of just putting in your time and getting by. If I had the financial status I'd be a full time student just to learn all the things I don't know. The flying part is kind of easy after that.
Semper Fi

jdflyer09

When the majority of generations that went before you went to Pensacola, there was no InterNet and AW is still relatively new (and improved) so the vast majority of folks faced a great deal of unknowns. You're lucky to have a resource like this, but you're fretting way too much especially about Centrifuge training that likely isn't in the cards for you unless you go to a Hornet cockpit and only after you get to the fleet. Like others have attested, the entire program is designed to give you challenges in bite-sized chunks. Sometimes, you're swallowing faster than you're used to, but they're not trying to attrite you necessarily. You don't have to be a rocket scientist nor an Olympic athlete. You have to really stumble to get shown the door and they have mechanisms in play to help you through tough spots. YOur fellow students will be all going through the same rites of passage which will bond you together more so than OCS. Worrying about what you do way into the program may scare you, but if you take it the way it's designed to be presented with a positive attitude, you'll be fine.

I understand. Don't fret. Don't worry.
Some of you guys all read too far into my post I think. I just threw the centrifuge question in there because I wanted to know when I would see it really.

As for everything else, I'm not really asking because I'm scared and want to start doing things NOW (this second, this year, no) to prepare, but because I just like to know what's ahead. I know military contracts/OSO's are not always completely honest when they explain all this stuff that will control my life for the next several years. AW is full of information so I can know whats in the cards for me, and you guys have been informative. But don't think I'm asking because I'm shaking in my space boots over it. I know they build you up for everything, and I know I can do it.

But like I said, Thank you for all helping me out.