• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Working Uniforms

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Hideous, someone should tell them the name tape should match the camo pattern. Also, is it me or do those rank tabs look waaaay too big? Looks a soft shoulder board sitting in the middle of their chest.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None

"Ultimately, we must ask ourselves what the goal of this regulation is and what it achieves," Privler wrote. "If the answer is public shaming (YES), then the Navy is successful. ... By leaving this tradition behind, we would allow sailors to move on from their past mistakes. (WITHOUT ANY CONSEQUENCES)" /snippet

It's a double whammy, the Navy needs to kill off some tradition and shelter Sailors from hurt feelings.
What next? Combat patches, ribbons, awards for those not "fortunate enough" to have deployed? How about forbidding those who have deployed from wearing their awards/badges? Wait..that's been done.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I never really found the RAN pattern to be that bad. It still looked better than the NWU blue, especially when they were right next to one another. Admittedly, it's still a bit loud, though.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Red service stripes can humiliate the wearer and invite gossip, she said, and the color of the uniform items can lead others to mistrust their work or devalue their potential.

On practical level the red stripe/gold stripe rule change won't affect that many since from what I've seen it is relatively rare now to have someone with more than 12 years, particularly Chiefs, have red stripes. I've seen plenty of Chiefs with red stripes but the vast majority had less than 12 years of service.

The irony of this change is that every Chief I've known who wore red stripes with more than 12 years of service wore them with pride, showing everyone that they may have had a few bumps in the road but still made it to Chief.

We could just get rid of the bands while we're jettisoning stupid/useless traditions.

Just so you know the annual cost of US military bands, 136 as of 2016, was about $300 million a year from 2012-2016.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Just so you know the annual cost of US military bands, 136 as of 2016, was about $300 million a year from 2012-2016.

Holy shit. My comment was tongue-in-cheek. Now I'm actually 100% on board with getting rid of those fuckers. 1.5 billion is nothing to fucking sneeze at considering how many times I have to debate whether a tire cord is light pink or dark pink (but not red, no, definitely not red).

The most beautiful part would be shitcanning the Chief Musicians Mate or whatever the fuck the no-load, never deploying, hasn't led shit or done shit except suck up healthcare and bennies author of that article was.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Holy shit. My comment was tongue-in-cheek. Now I'm actually 100% on board with getting rid of those fuckers. 1.5 billion is nothing to fucking sneeze at considering how many times I have to debate whether a tire cord is light pink or dark pink (but not red, no, definitely not red).

The most beautiful part would be shitcanning the Chief Musicians Mate or whatever the fuck the no-load, never deploying, hasn't led shit or done shit except suck up healthcare and bennies author of that article was.
New callsign for you: Yoko

BECAUSE YOU'RE BREAKING UP THE BAAAAAAND!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I wouldn't get rid of all of them but we certainly don't need anywhere near ~136 bans we have left.

I'm pretty sure if they go direct to one of the main service bands they don't even have to go to boot camp and come in at higher enlisted rating, for folks in the Marine Band (The President's Own) they enter as E-6's.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
wouldn't get rid of all of them but we certainly don't need anywhere near ~136 bans we have left.
Jazz Band. Gospel Groups. Country, Rock, Orchestra, Hip Hop, etc. They have them all. Just silly. Keep a small number of no shit traditional Sousa like military marching bands and can the rest.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
I'm pretty sure if they go direct to one of the main service bands they don't even have to go to boot camp and come in at higher enlisted rating, for folks in the Marine Band (The President's Own) they enter as E-6's.
Half true. I went through Boot with a trumpeter selected directly into THE Navy Band. He was auto-advanced to E-6 the day after graduating. It's the only way to entice people who'd otherwise go to major/mid-sized city orchestras to go Navy. Now that I'm an aviator and understand what we and the docs get paid to keep us in...I'm not complaining about a few petty officers. (I am generally against active duty non-deployers/non-warfighters though -- I'm looking at you HR types)