• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Working Uniforms

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Us helo pilots got our hands dirty, from time to time, by pitching in with the aircraft wash on deployment or scrubbing a few panels for some big inspection (DRI or whatever it was called).

Not to mention, it seems like every other airframe other than E-6s has pilots/NFOs that get out of them sweaty and often times dirty. I guess the gentlemen VP community just has more time to worry about such things while everyone else is flying and sweatin'.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Why? Because everyone gets a trophy. Bull crap change. Honor those who qualify. They deserve it. Had an uncle who in WW II went from E to officer on subs. Was an XO before the war ended. He was reduced to his permanent rank of ST1. Finished out his 30+ years in the reserves. Got busted twice. Got his shit in one sock and retired an E8 with gold dolphins and red stripes. Never bothered him. Used it as a counseling topic for young sailors.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Not to mention, it seems like every other airframe other than E-6s has pilots/NFOs that get out of them sweaty and often times dirty. I guess the gentlemen VP community just has more time to worry about such things while everyone else is flying and sweatin'.

I can count on 0 fingers the number of times the environmental control systems kept the bitch cool when we were down low on station on deployment. Sometimes, it was hot enough that we'd have to climb up just to cool the tube down enough to get the mission systems to not overheat and shut down.

I dunno where these other jabronies are working, but my deployment flight suits were one and done. No one I knew was getting out of that miserable bitch at the end of a long mission smelling like roses.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I can count on 0 fingers the number of times the environmental control systems kept the bitch cool when we were down low on station on deployment. Sometimes, it was hot enough that we'd have to climb up just to cool the tube down enough to get the mission systems to not overheat and shut down.

I dunno where these other jabronies are working, but my deployment flight suits were one and done. No one I knew was getting out of that miserable bitch at the end of a long mission smelling like roses.
Flying in a helo in the NAG in the summer with OAT gauge pegged and my flight suit would be one color because it was uniformly soaked. Post flight hugs for everyone to show the love! Also, the only person who like to hot seat from me in those conditions is your mom because it's hot and wet.

snake020

Contributor
Why? Because everyone gets a trophy. Bull crap change. Honor those who qualify. They deserve it. Had an uncle who in WW II went from E to officer on subs. Was an XO before the war ended. He was reduced to his permanent rank of ST1. Finished out his 30+ years in the reserves. Got busted twice. Got his shit in one sock and retired an E8 with gold dolphins and red stripes. Never bothered him. Used it as a counseling topic for young sailors.

Next iteration will rename the Good Conduct Medal to the Participation Medal

Angry

NFO in Jax
None

+1 for appropriate use of the word "jabronies".

And yea - she made you feel grimey by the time you left her. Soaking wet? Check. Smell like CAD smoke/sweat/bean burrito? Check. Add a 5 hour preflight in Isa to what you describe and I thought about burning my flight suits just about once a week. Thankfully, oxyclean works just enough to make it tolerable - although that's not what my wife thought when I gave her hug after getting off the bird from deployment...

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
"Effective 1 June 2019, the requirement for enlisted Sailors to obtain 12 years of service along with continuous good conduct and minimum performance evaluation to qualify for wear of gold rating badges and service stripes is rescinded. All enlisted Sailors with 12 cumulative years of naval active or active reserve service are authorized to wear gold rating badges, and gold service stripes in lieu of red rating badges and stripes"

Why?
You're saying we should continue to bad conduct shame? Where's your diversity and inclusiveness?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
NWU Type III O-6 rank insignia will be available for purchase and optional wear in silver thread starting June 1, 2019 for easier visual recognition and distinction from the E-4 insignia.
This is overdue and sorely needed. It should be extended to all officer ranks. I also recommend any gold warfare device (on khakis/SDBs) use a copper-colored thread for the insignia patch on NWU Type III, instead of black thread.

In IWC with Type IIIs, it’s impossible to tell if a JO is a prior enlisted sailor (w/ EIDWS) who hasn’t yet completed their officer IWO quals, or an officer who has already completed his/her IWO quals. The NWU Type I got a lot wrong, but it got this right.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor

Sounds like a failure of your FE.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
more and more like the Army?...

"A command/unit logo shoulder patch is now an option for wear on the left shoulder pocket of the Navy Working Uniform (NWU) Type II and III in place of the Don’t Tread On Me shoulder patch. "

Birdbrain

pilot
"Effective 1 June 2019, the requirement for enlisted Sailors to obtain 12 years of service along with continuous good conduct and minimum performance evaluation to qualify for wear of gold rating badges and service stripes is rescinded. All enlisted Sailors with 12 cumulative years of naval active or active reserve service are authorized to wear gold rating badges, and gold service stripes in lieu of red rating badges and stripes"

Why?
According to this article https://www.military.com/kitup/2019...12-years-good-conduct-sport-gold-stripes.html

Sailors who have qualified for the gold stripes but are later convicted by court-martial or nonjudicial punishment (NJP) must also switch to red. At that point, the 12-year clock to earn the gold stripes back starts over again. That means most end their careers before requalifying.

In 2017, Chief Musician Jessica Privler called for a change to that policy. Sailors who receive an NJP can lose pay, rank or face other punishment, she wrote in the U.S. Naval Institute's Proceedings magazine.

"Must one also atone for wrongdoing by being marked with differentiating uniform components?" Privler asked.

Red service stripes can humiliate the wearer and invite gossip, she said, and the color of the uniform items can lead others to mistrust their work or devalue their potential.

"Ultimately, we must ask ourselves what the goal of this regulation is and what it achieves," Privler wrote. "If the answer is public shaming, then the Navy is successful. ... By leaving this tradition behind, we would allow sailors to move on from their past mistakes." /snippet

It's a double whammy, the Navy needs to kill off some tradition and shelter Sailors from hurt feelings.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

more and more like the Army?...

"A command/unit logo shoulder patch is now an option for wear on the left shoulder pocket of the Navy Working Uniform (NWU) Type II and III in place of the Don’t Tread On Me shoulder patch. "

To bring up the underlying elephant in the room, why do we have cammies in the first place?

Last edited by a moderator:

snake020

Contributor
To bring up the underlying elephant in the room, why do we have cammies in the first place?

Because they make us into sea warriors?

Don't worry, we're not alone. Exhibit 1 below: Royal Australian Navy at sea uniforms pre-2009 (taken from the TV series Sea Patrol because a Google search wasn't helpful in finding real results)

Exhibit 2: 2009, feeling left behind by all the new camo patterns of the US armed forces, the RAN shifts to the DPNU, which I find as hideous as the NWU Type Is:

And finally not to be outdone by the US Navy shifting to the Type IIIs, Exhibit 3: the Royal Australian Navy showing off its new iteration of the DPNUs with rank in the center

Maybe one day we'll have leadership that will bring our uniforms back to a better pre 2009 time.