• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New PT Uniform

lmnop

You have it all figured out. Just throw the guys that are having problems in with a bunch of high achievers. They will just get motivated by osmosis and shame, and all of the Navy's PT problems will be solved. Why didn't anyone think of this solution before?

Yea, pretty much. You and I are probably never going to see eye to eye on this one. Agree to disagree. :D

Bevo16

pilot
I wouldn't say never. I used to think a lot along those same lines.

After you get some experience under your belt and grow up some, you will come around.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Peer pressure is a wonderful thing. By and large, people don't want to be the non-hacker of the group.

I know next to nothing about motivating other people to get their ass in gear.

I will however note that peer pressure tends to work in a lowest-common-denomenator kind of fashion...

VIZKRIEG

KILL
I played some extremely high caliber ice hockey...

This made me think of school. At Norwich, one of our MECEPS got hired to "PT" our hockey team, and he absolutely thrashed them every single day. Awesome workouts, with body hardening and everything. Great man, now a great Officer.

That will be all of my moment of reflection.

\Threadjack

MasterBates

Seeing that I have had to buy this uniform, I gave it an honest test over the last couple days.

My normal workout-
45-60 minutes on recumbent bike, 500-600 calories nominal burn
20-30 minutes light weights and ab exercises. Basically til I stop sweating from the bike.
45-60 minutes on elliptical trainer, 800-1000 calories nominal burn

Normally I work out in a cotton t-shirt, and cotton shorts. I'm tired after the cardio part, but not about to drop dead. Weights are more or less a keep me occupied while I cool down and drink some water deal.

I wore the new PT uniform.

Initial impression (shorts). Material not too bad. "modesty liner" was a bit snug.
(shirt). Not too bad, but fucking ugly.

30 minutes in- My groin area is in major discomfort due to the modesty liner both rubbing the crease at the tops of my legs raw, and my boys are being smushed. My lower brain is unhappy with the constriction. Really glad I bought a size larger than normal.

Shirt is GONE. Totally soaked. And it's not wicking moisture or heat away for shit. The humidity level in the NAS Oceana gym is normally low, and my cotton shirt has a good stripe in the chest area, and down the center of my back, but it is doing the evap cooling bit. This thing is soaked and making me warm.

40 minutes in. Pounding water. It's not helping. I'm feeling like shit. Starting to get overheated. Legs are starting to get hotspots from the shorts. Every last peice of clothing save my socks is DRENCHED.

50 minutes in. I'm really hot and out of water. Normally I have about 1/3 bottle left. Starting to pour sweat so fast off my forehead I am having trouble seeing. Towel is now soaked.

Hit 60, and get off the machine. I go to locker room and drop a massive deuce. Then puke. This was not a harder workout that normal. And I did not even get 1/2 way through. Basically am showing the early part of heat exhaustion. If it was not for the heat issue, my legs were rubbed raw from the modesty liner and I had a hard time walking the rest of the day.

I wrote that off as maybe a fluke and went back today. Same thing, but I brought twice as much water and toned down my workout from level 16 to 14. Basically beat down far more than I would be from overheating.

This uniform sucks ass. I have given it a fair shot, and the material of the shirt is shit. It is fucking useless. We should have either stuck with cotton, or gone with underarmor. The shorts would be OK if the liner went away.

Who the hell thought this was a good idea? They should be fired.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
I had the same impressions the first time I wore mine for PT on the boat. Extremely horrible choice of both material and color. I had read somewhere that the Navy was re-evaluating the choice of material for the shirt as well as the design of the liner in the shorts due to these complaints coming in from all over. I know I personally cut the liner out of mine. And why oh why did the Navy stick with rediculous sweats instead of a windproof warmup type jacket and pants like the Army?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
the material of the shirt is shit. It is fucking useless. We should have either stuck with cotton, or gone with underarmor.

Agreed. All the crossfit yut yuts who begged the uniform board for a fitness uni made of a techie material really hosed us on this one. In their defense, the loose Underarmor is awesome; in typically DoD/committee fashion: we asked for a horse and they spent $10M and bought us a camel.

The shorts would be OK if the liner went away.
I found mine were much improved through the use of a pair of scissors.:D If some chode wants to check my modesty liner and send me home from the PRT for being out of uniform, well, I'll take that risk.

Who the hell thought this was a good idea? They should be fired.
I looked at the composition of the uniform board and I came up with a theory: there were a bunch of pretty senior folks on that thing. Folks who likely retired (or will retire) before their uniform changes take effect. I could see them sitting around going,

"You know what would be funny. . ."

"Nah, man, we probably couldn't get away with the frilly tutu on the female shorts, but the modesty liner would be priceless. Any maybe we'll make the PT shirt out of plastic. . ."

snake020

Contributor
We just got briefed PT uniform will not be authorized for ship's laundry because the reflective material will be destroyed and the material for wicking doesn't play nice with the laundry chemicals. Great foresight in designing this... at least I can rest comfortably knowing I can soon camouflage myself with the ship.

Amall

We just got briefed PT uniform will not be authorized for ship's laundry because the reflective material will be destroyed and the material for wicking doesn't play nice with the laundry chemicals. Great foresight in designing this... at least I can rest comfortably knowing I can soon camouflage myself with the ship.

Yeah, supposedly, the shorts melt in the intense heat of the ship's dryers. This is what I've heard from some resident "testers" at Oceana.

MasterBates

Hey, since we could be reasonably PTing if a shipboard fire breaks out (happens more often than one thinks, and a lot of workout stuff is in places without a lot of egress options on smallboys).

HOW THE FUCK WAS MELTABLE PLASTIC WORKOUT GEAR A GOOD IDEA?!!!

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Because this is the Navy and while we can do things no other Navy on Earth can, we can't even do a damn t shirt and shorts set without taking five years, thousands of dollars, and still fucking it away.

MasterBates

Not to mention-

They are expensive. The shirt and shorts cost me $30 for the set. I can buy 3 of my usual workout sets (cotton shorts and t-shirt 3 pack) from the NEX or WallyWorld for that cost.